Join our zoo community

Hunting Dogs

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by GorillaBoy, 19 Nov 2011.

1. GorillaBoy

GorillaBoy Well-Known Member

Is there any news of any African Hunting dog Births recently and what is the current layout of hunting dogs a PL

Thanks

GB

2. dublinlion

dublinlion Well-Known Member

After a search of the internet it appears that there is very little breeding of dogs this year although a lot of zoos are keeping them.
    Are they difficult to breed or are they discouraging breeding.
    I am curious about the dogs at Dublin they originally recieved 6 young males from port lympe and later got two females from france, (I think).
    Last year they had a litter but I never got to see them and am wondering if anyone knows what happened to them, (did they survive, moved on etc.) From what I could see myself they have about 6 or 7 adults at present.
    would appreciate any feedback.

3. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member

Due to the large litters that can be produced (regually 10+ !) most zoo's within the EEP, breed only when advised by the studbook and for most that means every 5 years or so....

4. dublinlion

Thanks Nisha, yeah I had heard that but as they are not very long lived they would be lucky to get two litters in a dogs lifetime. It is probably quite difficult to manage the Zoo population with the family culture and big litters. I know that when they initially introduced the females to males at Dublin they fought badly.
    does anyone know the history of the Dublin litter?

5. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member

In 2002 Dublin sent 1:0 to Edinburgh (he's since moved on from there) and in more recent years some more males have gone to Aalborg, Denmark. I don't have any further info on these individuals although I believe the male that went to Edinburgh was bred at Dublin (unsure about the group which went to Denmark, sorry)

6. Pootle

Pootle Well-Known Member

I would have personally thought that with the longevity being about 9 -12 years (probably longer in zoos than the wild as is often the case), the gestation period being about 70 days and the fact that they are a species that wean fairly quickly that it would be possible to get more than 2 litters per lifetime, I would have estimated 5 plus to be honest...?

7. dublinlion

Yes they would indeed have several litters if allowed to breed normally but if restricted to 5 year intervals by EAZA that would make it difficult for a third brood as the adults would be around 12 years old.

8. Pootle

Pootle Well-Known Member

Ah!, got you now, I was omitting the 5 year EAZA breeding rule from my equation. Yes indeed 3 would really be pushing the limits.

9. mazfc

mazfc Well-Known Member

What do you mean by layout? If the shape of the enclosure, look at the park map, then maybe try comparing it on google earth. If you mean something else you need to reword your question. Zooterlister will help with holdings (use google!). The parks fb pages will announce known births, maybe you would be better asking on there for birth news. Though like any other place they will only announce births when ready to. A friendly hint: you should try to do a bit of your own research first or people will stop taking your requests for info seriously. When you ask a question say where you have already looked to show how you have been trying yourself. People on here want to help, but we are all busy people and really like to help those who help themselves, not do someone's research for them.

10. GorillaBoy

GorillaBoy Well-Known Member

I mean which African Wild Dogs are in which enclosure.!

11. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member

I am sure the only people who could answer that would be staff on the Carnivore section at Port Lympne- if they happen to look at this. Its a pretty unrealistic question otherwise and I doubt you'll get any answers.