Join our zoo community

Hunting Endangered Animals In Texas

Discussion in 'Private Collections & Pets' started by TropicWorld54, 15 Jun 2012.

?

Should these ranches keep these animals?

1. The hunting ranches are for profit and should not keep these animals

14 vote(s)
    35.9%
  2. The hunting ranches are for conservation and should be able to keep these animals

25 vote(s)
    64.1%
  1. khakibob

khakibob Well-Known Member

Try more marinade!

Because you haven't found it on the interweb, it dosen't exist??
    To breed non domesticated animals,land (& habitat) is needed the colateral benefits to conservation & bidiversity are real. What is a "quite big area" & a small "breeder pen"?
    To me the first is 400h/1000 acres plus,the second is 10h/25 acres plus,can you qualify your own view?
    What about density,territories,carrying capacity,home ranges & flight distances? How do zoos compare to the breeders ?

I can tell you the the majority of breeders I know,will gladly give to zoos or conservation projects so long as its not politicised,or hijacked by some animal liberation adgenda.
    At the very least the door should swing both ways,if zoos want new genetics,they should be prepared to trade.Thats what is best for diversity after all.

Cheers Khakibob

2. tschandler71

tschandler71 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Yes this is a great thing. If anything the idea of not putting a market value on wildlife in their native land is the exact reason they are endangered. There is no incentive or market for the local peoples to manage them. Demand for them is merely transported to the black market and no one especially not the animals benefit.

See the whitetail deer herd in the United States (compared to where it was 100 years ago) and this model could be successfully copied in many of these animals native lands as well as Texas.

3. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I grew up hunting and do not like the idea of a canned hunt as it does go against the idea of fair chase that most hunters agree with. I do however, agree with what tschandler71 said about attaching a market value in their native land. The locals do need a reason to preserve them and they won't just because they look pretty.

That being said, I think larger ranches are necessary to ensure viable populations of animals (particularly ungulates) in captivity as space is limited in zoos. That is why I would like to see more safari parks that are AZA accredited that can serve as homes for these "surplus" animals as well as possibly induce more natural behaviors that could make some suitable for reintroduction into their native lands. Is this a pipe dream? Maybe, but I do think it could be something to work for.

I am also in agreement with what others have said. I don't understand why anyone would want to pay thousands of dollars to shoot Watusi cattle, Merino sheep, or Jacob's sheep. I can't imagine having one of those mounted on your wall and then trying to tell some harrowing story about how you shot one of these. :)

4. tschandler71

Yes Kudu and other large ungulates need a herd of 8-12 individuals and how many zoos can accommodate that?

Canned hunting having an animal in an inescapable trap is in no way ethical hunting. From the discussions around Zoochat though it seems that most posters here believe that is how every ranch in Texas operates.

But about the semiexotics you mentioned Elefante its just stupid ranchers trying to make money by letting you shoot a cow if you think about it. A good rule of thumb would be to avoid any hunting outfit that offers Watsui Cattle. Its the same rule of thumb when you see them or Zebu shoehorned into a Savannah exhibit. Unless its a African Village setup then they are just mailing it in putting Cattle there. Its the equivalent of sticking a Hereford or a Holstein in an exhibit with Bison Elk and Wolves and calling it "North American Wilds"

5. elefante

That is why I say we need some more bigger parks. Ungulates do need the space. I'm also a fan of those in zoos so that is another reason, but you are right that many zoos just can't accommodate big herds.

I'm sure there aren't many Texas ranches that have animals in small spaces to shoot, but the fact that they can't jump a fence makes it so unpalatable to me. Then again, I've grown up out west where there was no issue of a hunt being fair chase as there is plenty of room to roam.

Your statement about mixing semiexotics with wild animals is also very true. While Zebu and Watusi cattle are pretty neat, it is the same as mixing Hereford and Holstein with North American wildlife.

6. tschandler71

I am sure there are plenty of unethical fly by night joints masquerading as hunting ranches but they aren't the norm.

7. nanoboy

nanoboy Well-Known Member

What species have you guys shot?

8. elefante

As far as big game elk, pronghorn, and mule deer for me. As far as birds mallards.

9. tschandler71

Hunting - Whitetail deer, black bear, dove, mallard duck, merganser duck, wild turkey, Feral Hog. One day I would like to hunt exotics though just never had the opportunity in my short hunting career (im only 25 give me a break:):))

Self defense/preventive reasons - Diamondback rattlesnake, Coyote, Feral dogs,

Humane reasons (putting the animal out of its misery) - Dogs. Cattle, Goats. Its the absolute worst feeling you can have seeing an animal especially one you love suffering.

10. elefante

Is the meat good from feral hogs or is that something you even want to eat?

11. tschandler71

The small ones taste decent but the big ones are gamey. The best pork I have ever ate though was bear.

12. elefante

I've heard bear is good but have never eaten that. The best wild game IMHO is elk. Just like lean beef. The only problem is you don't want to eat it rare. Don't want to risk brucellosis.

13. tschandler71

How bad brucellosis out west? Is it infecting Bison and Cattle? Its a nasty disease. We have been vaccinating our Herefords for about 5 years against it.

The only elk I've ever had is Elk Jerky and it was great. All venison to me tastes very similar as long as it comes from a doe or cow. I don't eat bucks, if I take a trophy he is going to the food bank or the local big cat rescue. I don't like the gamey taste from bucks.

14. elefante

There have been a few cases of it in Wyoming and Montana. The reason why so many ranchers are against bison leaving Yellowstone is brucellosis fears even though elk are big carriers as well.

As far as elk venison I've only had some from cows. I did have some good venison from a mule deer buck. Much fatter than any white-tail I've seen. Pronghorn meat is disgusting if you don't use lots of spices and marinate it for a while to get the sagebrush taste out of it.

15. Monty

Monty Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I have only eaten wild pigs up to about 30kg, but I believe they are all edible if they are healthy.

16. JBZvolunteer

JBZvolunteer Well-Known Member

If you are wanting to try bear, you have to find some bear jerky to eat. One of the best type of jerkies out there!

17. khakibob

khakibob Well-Known Member

Are you keen to hunt something?

Cheers Khakibob

18. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

According to the Wildlife in Your City thread, just spiders.:p

19. tschandler71

We need to arrange a Zoochat hunt and get Nano and Khaki to Alabama, if you get here you guys can crash at my farm. We can hunt whitetail and wild hog.

20. Monty

Monty Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I would love to :D. Just have to work out how my wife will let me go and how to mange the farm.

I have been to Khaki Bobs twice as he has a very good property and I even shot a pig there.