Join our zoo community

Hunting Wolves to Foster Tolerance, Does it Really?

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by Pantheraman, 4 Dec 2022.

1. Pantheraman

Pantheraman Well-Known Member

When it comes to wolf restoration, we're often told that regulated hunting is or might be needed to make people more tolerant of these animals in their midst. Even some involved in the Yellowstone reintroduction project believe this idea.

But does it really? A while ago now, a scientist named Adrian Treves and colleagues questioned this idea and concluded that legal wolf hunting doesn't increase tolerance, but instead, increases their hatred of the animal. Since then, this has kinda been a back-and-forth issue, ya know, like the arguments paleontologists are known for getting into. Personally, I lean more on Treves side here.

The biggest reason is the events going on out in the western states: Montana and Idaho.

Both of these states have had wolf hunting seasons for years now, and the governors passed legislation that allows people to kill more wolves and people are gladly doing it. Doesn't sound like increased tolerance to me, but the opposite. And now, there's new information from Wisconsin.

The Wisconsin DNR did a new survey on residents both within wolf range and outside wolf range. In general, people like having them around. But there is something that caught my eye.

Wisconsin had wolf-hunting seasons in 2012, 2013, and 2014 before being relisted. So there's been a long period of no wolf hunting. And this is the attitude of people in the state.

Screenshot 2022-12-04 5.33.16 PM.png
    PUB_EA_017.pdf

After a long period of no wolf hunting, you see less support for a wolf hunt, not more support. Not something that would happen if wolf hunting did foster tolerance since by that logic, people would be more intolerant and there be an increased percentage supporting a wolf hunt.

Neil chace likes this.
  2. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

What was the sample size for that Wisconsin survey? 15% opposed to all forms of hunting seems shockingly high.

3. Pantheraman

Here you go.

Screenshot 2022-12-05 5.34.31 PM.png

birdsandbats likes this.
  4. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I think it also depends on whether the people in question are city or country. It's easier to not care when it's not even something you think about or run in to. Here in Northern California the return of the wolves has been much applauded by the conservationists and the bureaus, but the people sharing the ranges with the wolves will often shoot them on sight. They see the wolves as a threat to their livestock and a concern for themselves while out and about. The locations of most wolf packs here now have to be largely concealed for the wolves' safety. I have heard however that in some areas aggressive packs of wolf-dog hybrids are causing issues, likely bringing the same concerns about the pure wolves, despite that they prefer to avoid people.

5. Pantheraman

@Great Argus

This change was seen both within the wolf range and outside it. And 55% of the received responses came from the wolf range.

6. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That makes sense, anti-hunters were likely over-sampled then.