Join our zoo community

Highland Wildlife Park Hwp 2010

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by kiang, 9 Feb 2010.

Tags:
  1. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Waited to start this when there was some news, and the only news i have is the death of the old female Eurasian otter, this leaves the park with no otters.
    At the moment there is a European beaver in the enclosure, which is due to be transferred to another collection soon.

2. Zambar

Zambar Well-Known Member 15+ year member 10+ year member 5+ year member

I noticed otters weren't listed on the site, sad to know why. I hope they can get more, as I still think they need a fair amount of Scottish Wildlife too.

3. glasgowanimal

glasgowanimal Well-Known Member

there is one Eurasian Otter at Edinburgh Zoo just now either in with or beside the Beaver in the old duck ponds

RZSS holds the studbook for Eurasian Otters but I am unsure of the longterm plans where they plan to keep them (at the Zoo or HWP)

4. kiang

5. kiang

6. solari27

solari27 Active Member

I was up at the park last week and just thought i'd share a few things i saw and heard

the aviary next to the red panda was undergoing work when i was there and it looks like its going to be a new home for something very very soon (the european cranes perhaps).

Probably old news but the wild boar have left the collection.The RZSS has donated them to a forest regeneration project at Dundreggan Estate in Glen Moriston.The enclosure is currently empty and is to be redeveloped.

I heard that the next thing to be done within the next couple of months is a new enclosure for the wolves,i believe it is to be built on the right hand side of the drive through as you enter the main reserve.I will put a picture up in the gallery.At present there is only one wolf but they hope eventually to have a pack comparable in size to the old timber wolf pack they used to have.there is only one female just now but there should be no problems getting more European wolves it will just be the usual problems that come from building up a pack from scratch.

So as the wolf moves out of her current enclosure it may become a suitable home for the Pallas cats due to arrive sometime this year.

As always i had a fantastic day out up at the Highland wildlife park and progress is being made all the time in expanding an already interesting animal collection.

7. ^Chris^

^Chris^ Well-Known Member

Is that likely to be the Pallas cats from Edinburgh or new individuals?

8. solari27

solari27 Active Member

I would imagine it will be the Pallas cats from Edinburgh.Hopefully i might see them once they move to the HWP because i have never been lucky enough to see them at the zoo!

9. kiang

In my opinion (for what its worth), i would like to see the snowy owl and the Arctic foxes moved to what will be the former wolf enclosure, which would link it to the polar bear enclosure.
    The area next to the beaver enclosure on the path back up to the visitor centre, would be an ideal location for European otters, and the former otter enclosure transformed into the Pallas cat enclosure.
    Maybe the former wild boar enclosure will be the new home for the musk oxen that are due to arrive, again linking up with the polar bear enclosure?
    JUST MY OPINION!

10. Bwassa

Bwassa Well-Known Member

I know you said it was just your opinion Kiang, but I had assumed that the Musk Oxen would be on the drive-through, if they want to build up a herd.

11. Zambar

Zambar Well-Known Member 15+ year member 10+ year member 5+ year member

The rocky outcrop that was the wild boar enclosure would be ideal for snow leopards IMO.

12. kiang

From the original plan to import musk oxen a few years back, they were to go in the drive through, in a fenced off or ha-ha ditch enclosure, in the words of the RZSS, musk oxen do not mix with cars well.

13. monkeygambler

monkeygambler Member

Is snow leopards something that is on the cards for the near future? That would be really good to see! Just to Confrim, the Pallas cats for HWP are 100% the ones from Edinburgh.

14. lechweoryx

lechweoryx Well-Known Member

Now that the Amur leopards and the pallas cats are moving up to highland, will edinburgh bring in some new species of carnivores. I know of the sun bears.

15. kiang

snow leopards have always been on the cards for HWP, nowhere better for them in the UK, but they are not a priority, but that could change at anytime.
    @Zambar, i always thought the goral enclosure next to the markhor would make a better snow leopard enclosure.

16. camel leopard

camel leopard Well-Known Member

Have the two markhor from blackpool zoo settled in well?

17. monkeygambler

monkeygambler Member

I mentioned this on another thread the other day, but the Amur leopard move has been postponed for now - they will remain at Edinburgh until 2011 at the earliest.

I would love to see either a return of the marbled polecats or perhaps arrival of black-footed cats, but I believe black-footed cats are very difficult (need specific temp/humidity) and the current pallas cat enclosure would require extensive work done to it... One can wish though!! :D

18. Bwassa

Bwassa Well-Known Member

How about Clouded Leopards at Edinburgh? They kept them in the 1970s.

19. Simon McGlary

Simon McGlary Well-Known Member

Was on a bus trip from the zoo to HWP yesterday (24th April) and the keeper who was supposed to join us for a comentary was called away to an animal incident within the reserve. We were told later that the incident was actually a European Bison birth! Also caught a glimpse ( but didn't have the camera ready) os the mishmi takin baby as well!

20. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Any idea on how many European Bison there are at the park