Join our zoo community

Highland Wildlife Park Hwp 2010

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by kiang, 9 Feb 2010.

Tags:
  1. johnstoni

johnstoni Well-Known Member

I am surprised people think it appropriate to address Pertinax like that - I have never seen him write a post in the tone some are addressing him.

Statistically, using ISIS as a guide, it doesn't look good for many of the species attempted at HWP in the last couple of years.

People get very defensive when people discuss zoo deaths, as if the speculation gets in the way of some perfectly good reason for all the losses. If, just imagine, someone who had contacted HWP (and been given an answer) decided to post the information on here, would they be doing the park any favours? I think it would likely just trigger many posts about whether the park should continue with the species. We have already been told there was a ragwort infestation, I don't think this information leading to a wider discussion on the limitations of ungulate husbandry in a collection based in the Scottish highlands is a particularly bad use of Zoochat.

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

note that the people in question have very few posts on the forum.

3. TARZAN

TARZAN Well-Known Member

No, I myself have posted nothing on this subject, the reason being that I don't consider myself knowledgeable enough to pass comment, however , as far as I am concerned Pertinax and Johnstoni have always spoke good common sense regarding this wonderful interest we have, at times a breath of fresh air, perhaps you would like mince for dinner tomorrow, its very good with Dolmio and spaghetti.

4. Julz

Julz Well-Known Member

The park have put up a video of Walker and Mercedes.

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Jul 2017
  5. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Just wanted to back up Johnstoni's comments regarding Pertinax. I too found it remarkably rude that a new poster (with only 11 comments at the time) could be so dismissive towards a person who I have regularly corresponded through ZooChat's various threads and always found to be a thoughtful and insightful. Yes a lot of what gets talked about on these threads is hearsay and personal thoughts, but sometimes the interesting gems do come through.

6. hedigerfan

hedigerfan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It would appear that there is an opportunity, similar to what Chester Zoo has offered, for people to have a more detailed insight into HWP with the animal manager and put their questions to him. All the details are below, taken from the Park's website, and I am sure that it will be of interest to members of this group. It is limited to 20 people on a first come first served basis, so I would get booking as soon as.

Walking Tour with the Animal Collection Manager

On Sunday the 2nd of January 2011 there will be a walking tour of the Highland Wildlife Park with the animal collection manager, Douglas Richardson.

The event will include a tour of the Park with Douglas, a New Year’s toast with a dram and black bun at the new viewing hut in the Wolf Wood and ample opportunity to find out what is happening next at the Park and what the plans are for the future.

This is a fantastic opportunity to learn more about the Park’s current and forthcoming animal plans, and a chance to put your questions directly to the head of the Park’s animal department.

Itinerary
    11:00 - Meet in the Visitor Centre
    11:10 – Start tour of the Park
    13:00 – Toast the New Year at the Wolf Wood, followed by Q&A
    ~14:00 - Tour concludes in the Visitor Centre

The event costs £20.00 which includes entry to the Park for the day. To take part you must book in advance providing your name, contact details, and number of places required, which will be allocated strictly on a first-come, first-served basis. Dress appropriately, including stout footwear.

The tour will be limited to 20 people and children must be 12 or over. Contact Lana Taylor by phone on 01540 651976 or email [email protected] for more details or to make your reservation. Closing date for bookings is Friday the 31st of December.

7. Julz

Julz Well-Known Member

It looks like an excellent day out that one. Sadly the date means no chance of me making it - the weather we've had so far doesn't suggest driving the 2 1/2 hours up there in January is going to be an easy job. Shame though as it sounds good.

8. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Sounds rather tempting. Any other ZooChat folks interested?

9. macca

macca Well-Known Member

i wish i could go! sadly i will still be entertaining my in-laws at the other end of the country. hopefully there will be more events later in the year.

10. Julz

Julz Well-Known Member

I'd love to go, but sometimes I'm in a wheelchair and sometimes I'm fine for walking. With the chances of it being snowy and/or icy I wouldn't be able to keep up with a crowd even if we could get there.

Hopefully they'll do it again after January. Preferably in March as we're up there for a week then :D

11. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Any other takers (perhaps wishing to share) for the given date?

Perhaps we could get DR to organise a ZooChat event with us some time more convenient?

12. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hi folks

Can anyone tell (or write) me, where I can find a park map of this institution in the net? (Links are very welcome). Thanks in advance.

13. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I am seriously tempted to go up on 2nd January, but i have been putting off a visit until the musk oxen arrive, i am torn!
    But a zoochat event would be tremendous, i know of a few zoochatters have got HWP pencilled in for next year.

14. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

I agree, it's a shame they don't have one on their website. The website isn't as good as Edinburgh's in my view.

15. Julz

Julz Well-Known Member

I'll ask my husband to scan in my map if that's allowed? He'll not be home until Friday though.

16. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It'll be very welcome. Thank you so much! Hope the resolution will be high enough.

17. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Regarding the Musk Ox. Is it just the 1:1 + the female offspring from Liberec Zoo via the Netherlands that are coming to HWP, or is there more and I've got the wrong end of the stick?? :confused:

18. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I'd love to go but sadly impossible as I live far away. But maybe someone who is going could take the advantage/opportunity to enquire what happened to the majority of the Bactrian Deer and all the Urial sheep, and whether they intend to continue with the Deer by adding to the remnant that is left.

Last edited: 24 Dec 2010
  19. Julz

Julz Well-Known Member

We're hopefully going up the weekend of the 15th of January. My friend is Christening her baby on the Sunday so hopefully will get a wander round the park on the Saturday weather (and new membership card arriving) permitting.

I've not forgotten about the map - husband's car is in the garage and map is in the boot. Hopefully will get it back between Christmas and New Year.