Join our zoo community

Highland Wildlife Park HWP 2012

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Jordan-Jaguar97, 12 Jan 2012.

1. Jordan-Jaguar97

Jordan-Jaguar97 Well-Known Member

Remani the dominant female Japanese Macaque has died. She suffered no illness and died in her sleep peacefully.

2. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The Japanese serow calf born last year has died.

3. Lesley4444

Lesley4444 Well-Known Member

Video of the Musk Ox arriving has been posted

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Jul 2017
  4. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This is undoubtedly the most suitable location for them in the UK, pretty much ideal, and the enclosure looks excellent too.:)

5. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

They look fantastic, the Highland Wildlife Park is one of the most interesting collections in the UK in my view.

6. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

When I went round HWP with Doug Richardson, he took me inside the barn, which was reconstructed for the musk oxen. All wood and very solidly built :)

Alan

7. kiang

Can't wait to get up there and see them for myself, the enclosure looks great, with a quality finish and with everything up there, outstanding location and backdrop, the animals should appreciate a more user friendly climate too.

8. Davef68

Davef68 Well-Known Member

Interesting facebook post today

[​IMG]

I wonder what they could be hinting at :)

9. Julz

Julz Well-Known Member

Sad news this morning as the park have announced that Sasha, their tigress, has been put to sleep. I can't link from my phone but the notice is on their Facebook and website.

Sad, sad news as she was a stunning animal, but she was a good age!

So many memories of her. I seen her shortly after she arrived at HWP and then got my first glimpse if her 3 youngest cubs on my honeymoon. She will be missed by many I'm sure.

10. Lesley4444

Very sad news this morning... she is the tiger i "grewup" on.. she sparked my interest in them and she was just the perfect model for my practising photos. I will miss her greatly but glad she is at rest.

She didnt look like the same cat when i saw her about a year ago.. looked much fragiler and paced alot. Dont think she was the same since Yuri died but maybe thats me humanising her.

The facebook post suggested that her behaviour had changed and there was an undertone that her daughters were bullying her. Will be interesting to hear the PM report... hope its published but HWP are pretty good at disclosing information like that

Here is the link...

Highland Wildlife Park, Kincraig, Kingussie, Inverness-shire, Scotland, UK

RIP Sasha

11. Davef68

Sad news. Will always have great memories of watching Yuri, Sasha and the cubs cavorting round the enclosure at HWP.

I do recall that when Yuri died, the inidcated that the group would remain the same whilst Sasha was alive - perhaps we will now see one of the sisters go elsewhere and a young male arrive?

12. Jordan-Jaguar97

Jordan-Jaguar97 Well-Known Member

Some lynx developments!

1.1 European Lynx arrived 7th March, the male is called Swift and the female is called Dimma. Swift is from Riga Zoo and Dimma is from Boras Zoo. The 2.0 Carpathian Lynx are now at Camperdown Wildlife Park.

13. Lesley4444

His name is Switch not Swift and he was born on the 30th of May 2010. Riga Zoo is in Latvia and Boras Zoo is in Sweden. Interesting development there... will be even more interesting if they produce cubs...these cats are exceedingly difficult to spot in their enclosure and there has been talk of them being reintroduced into scotland like the beavers. Interesting choice for the HWP to take

14. kiang

European lynx fit more with Scottish wildlife, past and present theme, rather than the Carpathian species, sub-species or whatever they are .

15. Lesley4444

Was just looking at the talks at Edinburgh Zoo and noticed this new one....

"Join us on Thursday 24 May 2012 for an evening with Douglas Richardson, Animal Collection Manager at the Highland Wildlife Park. He will be telling us about all about recent goings on at Edinburgh Zoo’s sister park in the Highlands as it approaches its 40th birthday. Find out about the park’s exciting new arrivals, including Marty the Amur tiger and Arktos the polar bear and receive an update on how all your other favourite HWP residents are doing."

Anyone any idea who Marty and Arktos are?

16. kiang

They certainly weren't there on Wednesday, although a keeper told me that a male polar bear and male Amur tiger would be arriving in the very near future.

17. Lesley4444

Sounds exciting!! :) Tho not 100% sure why they are bringing in another male polar bear?

18. kiang

Company for "Walker" at the moment and in the longer term to have 2 males to choose from when a female arrives to take her place in a new polar bear enclosure on the other side of the park.

19. Lesley4444

Ahhh i wasnt sure that they could keep two male polar bears together... if they can thats great. Will make for an excellent exibit two young males... and someone for Walker to play with!...lol

20. Davef68

A quick google suggests Arktos might be one of twins born in Vienna and now in Hannover