Join our zoo community

Monarto Zoo Hyena

Discussion in 'Australia' started by ZYBen, 29 Dec 2006.

1. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

I thought i would make a new thread for the Hyena in Australia, and seeing as South Australia will hold the largest number this is where it should be

I am not sure on the Background of the Spotted Hyena at Perth but this is what i can tell you about the 1 Hyena at Monarto

"Vinnie" was with the perth zoo hyena (i presume she was imported with them) until a falling out due to her over aggression. She was then carted off to Whyalla Zoo. Whyalla Zoo iwas in SA and as far as i know was a terrible place. All Concrete, like an 1940-50's Zoo. Her previous exhbit was no more than 8m X 3m about, concrete with a concrete hut for her to sleep in, she had her food offered in bowls, and due to low funds she survived on a Diet of Pal Dog food. THis resulted in her weighing 87kg unlike the regular 60kg a hyena should weigh

Vinnie is now at Monarto she arrived about 2 years ago and lives in an old Wild Dog Lockaway (they now live on the exhibit all the time) she now has at least grass to walk on and dirt to roll in and water to walk in, she is loving life, she is very wary of humans, but gets used to new people and items quickly. And luckily is now on a varied diet, including the odd Blackbuck.

Most likely she will not be intergrated to the new Hyena due to her elderly age and Weight. but she will be able to see them and smell them etc...

I will be back in the park on the 16th and 18th so i will try and get some pics then, if not i will get some sent to me so i can show you all

ZooPro, i am not sure if you saw vinnie when you were at monarto last, if you did anything to add?

2. ZooPro

ZooPro Well-Known Member

No Ben, I din't see her, but it sounds like she is a whole lot better off now than she was at Whyalla.

3. Zoo_Boy

Zoo_Boy Well-Known Member

so she lives up at the wild dog exhibit, in a pen, and can u descibe the new exhibit for everyone, yesterday uoi said the wild dog exhibit will be divided.

also, did arazpa have opposition to this aquisition, as with the indian rhino etc.

4. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

Um well it about an 8th of the wild dog exhbit, we will have to wait and see what it looks like at the moment its just grass

5. Animaldude

Animaldude Well-Known Member

what are the names of all the hyenas?

6. SilverbackApes

SilverbackApes Well-Known Member

Kigali (f)
    Mwenka (m)
    Kigana (m)
    Misitu (f)
    Vinnie (f)

7. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member

The Perth pair + Vinnie arrived for the opening of the African Savanna(h) exhibit in 1990 (?). All three arrived from the US university which keeps a breeding colony (somebody will tell me which one it is). As far as I am aware Vinnie was neutered before coming to Perth, and as the dominant female caused no end of difficulties with the other female. The decision was made to remove Vinnie, and unfortunately she was sent to Whyalla. I always felt sorry for her, but thankfully never saw the conditions.

The Perth pair had twins and a singleton before they neutered one of the adults due to a lack of interest in the species from other collections. All offspring went to Singapore Zoo/Night Safari (one or the other).

Perth's Savanna display was based on the famous US architects Jones & Jones design for the similarly titled display at Seattle. Unfortunately the area they had to work with was about a quarter of the size, yet the zoo ambitiously tried to fit just as many exhibits in. Over the years there have been many changes to the original exhibits and fewer species, but the original hyaena exhibit now houses meerkats! Way too small for the hyaenas, who now have the previously oryx/hunting dog exhibit.

8. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member

Spotted Hyena in Australian Zoos

Monarto Zoo:

0.1 Kigali (born 1997 at Kruger National Park)
    1.0 Gamba (born 2003 at Singapore Zoo)
    1.0 Piltengi (born 2004 at Singapore Zoo)
    0.1 Forest (born 2007 at Monarto Zoo) (Mwenka?) x Kigali
    0.1 Thandiwe (born 2014 at Monarto Zoo) Gamba x Forest
    1.0 Mkoko (born 2015 at Monarto Zoo) Gamba x Forest
    0.1 Kanzi (born 2017 at Monarto Zoo) Piltengi x Thandiwe

National Zoo:

1.0 Pinduli (born 2012 at Monarto Zoo) Gamba x Kigali
    1.0 Zuberi (born 2013 at Monarto Zoo) Gamba x Forest

Adelaide Zoo:

1.0 Jaali (born 2017 at Monarto Zoo) Piltengi x Thandiwe
    1.0 Majani (born 2018 at Monarto Zoo) Piltengi x Forest

Perth Zoo:

1.0 Kigana (born 2000 at Monarto Zoo?) Unknown x Unknown
    1.0 Sabi (born 2007 at Monarto Zoo) Gamba x (Misitu?)

Sydney Zoo:

1.0 Endesha (born date unknown at Singapore Zoo)
    1.0 Enzi (born date unknown at Singapore Zoo)
    1.0 Etana (born date unknown at Singapore Zoo)

Altina Wildlife Park:

2.0 Name/DOB/Parentage unknown

9. marmolady

marmolady Well-Known Member

Piltengi died, I believe a couple of years ago. 'Misitu' and 'Forest' are different names for the same hyena.
    I'm assuming Gamba is returning to Monarto with the hope of producing further cubs with Kigali and Forest. It would be fantastic if some more females were brought in, as the only ones currently are Kigali and her descendants.

Zoofan15 likes this.
  10. Zoofan15

Thanks for that info @marmolady. Do you know what happened to this female, who arrived at Monarto in 2007 from Singapore Zoo:

Zoo staff laughing about surprise hyena birth

I assume this isn’t Kigali (who also arrived 2007) as Kigali gave birth to Misitu/Forest the same year. I don’t know whether Kigali was directly imported from Kruger National Park as a 10 year old; or whether she had lived in another zoo prior.

11. marmolady

I'm unsure. Kigali lived in Singapore with the other four hyena imported at the same time (Gamba, Piltengi, Mwenka and ???). If Kigana came from Monarto, I guess he'd be the fifth, which would mean Kigali was the only possible mother.

According to the zoo's website, Kigali had had five cubs at Monarto; so that would be Sabi (?), Forest/Misitu, the two males now at Altina whose names have escaped me (b. 2009), and Pinduli .

Last edited: 12 Mar 2020
  12. Zoofan15

I found this thread, which notes Sabi was removed for handraising:

hyena birth - a first for australia [Monarto Zoo]

Given he was born June/July 2007, and the gestation period is 110 days; it would have been possible for his mother to have given birth again in late 2007. Therefore it’s possible for Kigali to be Sabi’s mother (if Forest was born late in 2007).

On Monarto Zoo’s website, they note Kigali has given birth to five cubs since arriving in 2007; while another site notes that following the birth of the twins in 2017, ten cubs had been born at Monarto Zoo.

Of the seven offspring I listed above (born at Monarto 2007-2017); five are born to Forest and Thandi. For Kigali to have had five cubs, this means:

1) Sabi must have been Kigali’s cub; in addition to Forest and Pinduli
    2) Kigali must be the mother of the two males at Altina (to make five cubs)

Jambo and Tafin like this.
  13. marmolady

Kigali's twin boys are named Amani and Makali. They moved to Altina with their father, Mwenka. If they now only house two, I don't know who it is that has since died.

Last edited: 12 Mar 2020
    Jambo, Tafin and Zoofan15 like this.