Join our zoo community

I already can map my own zoo after a plan, on a particular location that I own

Discussion in 'Speculative Zoo Design and Planning' started by Nikola Chavkosk, 21 Aug 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nikola Chavkosk

Nikola Chavkosk Well-Known Member

I had a practice of at least six months in two facilities with captive wild animals - including primates, felids, reptiles, giraffes etc.. Yes I plan to hire a staff - zookeeper, at least one at the begining , and a waiter for the mini-restaurant. Free-entry volunteers, students vooluntering/researching, researchers, teachers, would be all welcomed, and even the representatives of non-profit animals assotiations.
    Batto will hopefully come for a week, helping me with his experience and knowledge, or not Batto/ ;)

Last edited: 24 Aug 2017
  2. Nikola Chavkosk

I was thinking of the Valencia bioparc big leopard exhibit and how the leopards inside were sitting at one place during the two rounds I have made along the enclosure, several hours appart. I think that an enclosure of 50-100 m2 and a mega-enclosure like that in Valencia bioparc, won't make a lot of difference to the animal, once the animal explore the settings of the mega-enclosure, provided that both of these enclosures are naturalistic. The leopard will always find one preffered location for rest and it won't pay much attention to the rest of the mega enclosure. I think a periodic walk in a tunnel at a greater distance, will produce much more excitement to the leopard or to other animal, than providing one mega enclosure. In a tunnel - or fenced canal, there will always be something new from the sorrounding, different smells, different sights of other animals in the zoo or wildlife at the periphery.
    Will you agree/
    Leopards however are more active durring the night, so they may explore much more big enclosure provided to them during the night.

Last edited: 24 Aug 2017
  3. Mr. Zootycoon

Mr. Zootycoon Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Does the facility just holds these animals, or did you really work with them? By the way, six months experience is extremely little if you want to start on your own.

Think again.

nicholas likes this.
  4. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Nikola it's very clear that your thought process is '1. I want this species. 2. This is how much space I have. 3. Then this is how much space the species needs. 4. I will have this species.

What it needs to be is '1. This is how much space I have. 2. This is how much space the species needs. 3. I can/cannot meet the species' needs. 4. I will/won't have this species.'

Anyway. This is all highly premature. Just promise me you won't go out and buy a leopard without doing a little more preparation first, ok?

Batto likes this.
  5. Nikola Chavkosk

Mr. Zootycoon The facilities holds them. I worked with animals - feeding, cleaning of enclosures and helping in veterinary procedures. One of them was Skopje zoo. The other holder, is a secret.

CGSwans I taught for this long time ago, it is not because I don't have enough space for mega-enclosures. Don't worry, I won't buy leopard if not prepeared with adequate enclosures and permissions. I am too optimist, but not a child-minded. ;)

6. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

So the facility holds them, but that does not mean you worked with them. Additionally, what sort of "work" was it? A paid full time position, an internship, volunteering, keeper for the day, etc..these make a big difference, along with what species you actually worked with (or as it sounds more like, cleaned up after)

Also what exactly did this "secret" facility hold.

Also, I can tell you straight off the bat that no, you will not be getting orangutans. The EEP would not release surplus to a tiny, unaccredited, poorly funded zoo with a grand total of 2 paid animal care staff, at least one of which has no experience with great apes. If you have the literal hundreds of thousands of dollars to purchase some from more questionable sources, power to you, but that is money that would likely be much needed to source into other areas of your zoo.

MagpieGoose and Batto like this.
  7. Nikola Chavkosk

Ok I WILL ignore most of the content of the previous post of Hyak II.
    I will just answer to the last issue. Who said I will be working exclusively with EAZA or EEP. Maybe I will work also with Balkan, Russian and Chinese zoos, and will exchange orangutans for Griffon vultures with China, for example.
    However, my greatest interest would be to colaborate with EAZA and taking some surplus zoo animals and housing them in an appropriate enclosures. Establishing of an European Association of Small non-EAZA zoos, or association of ''substandard'' zoos is also an opportunity.

8. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Why? It's a fairly simple and point blank question. Your hesitation to answer only shows that you're not comortable with the public perception of the position you held and species you worked with while at these facilities.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.