Join our zoo community

I know this seems random...

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by birdsandbats, 19 Jun 2018.

1. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I know this question seems random, but what is your least favorite plant?

Mine is Lily-Of-The-Valley (Convallaria majalis).

2. Swampy

Swampy Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Rhododendron ponticum, closely followed by Himalayan balsam (Impatiens glandulifera).

3. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Lavendar, I have a severe allergic reaction when I am near it. It makes life fun when I go near shops selling lavendar perfumed gifts

4. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Coriander, I find that it tastes absolutely revolting - I suspect that it is a genetic trait (but my brother loves it :confused:).

Zooplantman and Brum like this.
  5. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Many peoples least favorite-Poison Ivy.
    Surprised no one brang it up yet.

6. birdsandbats

I like Poison Ivy. It is a fascinating plant.

7. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yellow star-thistle (Centaurea solstitalis)

birdsandbats likes this.
  8. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Common violets (Viola odorata) and Allium triquetrum: these two plants invade my garden (from a few specimens that I've planted many years ago), and I must pull out tons of plantules constantly for allow other plants to grow. Acanthus mollis is almost equal invasive in my garden too.

But even these plants are species that I like. The only plants that I dislike are the billions of artificial man-made garden plants that usually forms the majority of plants in almost every garden in the world. As more monstruous and unnatural looking, least favourite for me.

9. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'm not a fan of tulips, I think they're really overrated. Plus hydrangea.

10. Okapipako

Okapipako Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I would say kudzu if I didn't actually find it rather beautiful at times. But regardless it doesn't really belong here in the southern U.S., and seeing such immense swaths of it encompass native vegetation is disheartening.

More likely I'd go with any mid-sized thorny plant that's at just the right height to stick into you while on a hike. > <

11. BeakerUK

BeakerUK Well-Known Member

At last, someone else who doesn't like lavender! Thankfully I am not allergic to it (that must be a nightmare given how prevalent it is as a scent in things) but it does give me a headache, and everyone else seems to love it, argh.

12. SabineB

SabineB Well-Known Member

there actually is only one plant I really dislike, it happens to be in our garden and I just cannot get my familiy to get rid it :( : viburnum rhytidophyllum

and I do agreee that tulpis are overrated!

13. Varanus

Varanus Active Member

Any lawn grasses (e.g. Bermuda grass). The maintenance of a perfectly manicured lawn monoculture wastes massive amounts of water, pollutes the environment with pesticides, herbicides, and fertilizers, and reduces biodiversity. A lawn of native grasses and other wild plants is more environmentally friendly and provides more habitat for native insects and other small wildlife. Plus I think a more natural groundcover offers a lot more variety which just looks nicer.

Okapipako and birdsandbats like this.
  14. birdsandbats

I know. Lawns are a waste. Why don't people plant native plants or food plants instead?

Varanus likes this.
  15. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

You can play lawn tennis without a lawn (yawn!). You can play lawn bowls on an artificial lawn. But a top-quality lawn is essential for a proper game of cricket :D

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  16. Mr. Zootycoon

Mr. Zootycoon Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Fallopia japonica, closely followed by all the other horrible exotics that threaten our native plants. The plant is fine in its native range, just not in the Netherlands.

17. birdsandbats

Uh. That plant come in second on my least favorite plants list. That stuff is an awful invasive species.

18. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

Fascinating thread. Reveals so much about each poster's view of the world!

19. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

A new plant not mentioned before in this thread comes to my mind now: Araujia sericifera. This climber is native to Southern South America but has widespread over the rest of South America and many other places of the world where is not native, especially in the Mediterranean. This plant is highly toxic and have an irritating sap like most asclepiadoids. It grow in wasteland and perturbated terrain and adapt very easily to all environments including urban ones, so the dispersion is much more easy. It have underground tubers very difficult to pull out so every time you cut the plant you will not kill it, it will regrow. It's a very quickly growing plant and covers fences and structures much before you can get rid off of it. It can strangle small or younger trees and kill them. The enormous fruits are full of fluffy seeds (dandelion-like) so dispersal by the wind makes this plant sprout very far from the origin. And if all these are not enough evilish, this is the worst character of this plant: the flowers are pollinator killers: when an insect (especially butterflies and moths) comes to feed in nectar, they got trapped by the proboscis and try desperately to escape but it's not possible... exhausted, they die hanging on the flower.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/655/22733426116_5006265370_b.jpg
    http://lepidoptera.ru/img/illu/12595-1.jpg
    https://c8.alamy.com/comp/C6FW4C/a-...sum-stellatarum-trapped-by-a-cruel-C6FW4C.jpg
    https://c8.alamy.com/comp/C7BHXA/an...uel-vine-flower-araujia-sericifera-C7BHXA.jpg
    https://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/2007/06/11/seedpicker_TX/59e0b8.jpg