Join our zoo community

Ian Botham charity elephant

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by dean, 25 Nov 2014.

1. dean

dean Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I wonder if any one can recall the name of the baby Elephant that Ian Botham once did a sponsored walk with? I believe it was poisoned by eating rhododendron leaves due to hunger. I met it once in Newcastle city center in about 1989 or 1990 I think it would be.
    I have been thinking about it lately and wonder if any one can remember it.

2. Animal Friendly

Animal Friendly Well-Known Member

Interesting, sorry I cannot be of any help with this as it is the first time I have ever heard of Ian Botham in Newcastle with a baby elephant, shall have make further enquiries.

3. dean

Sorry AF Ian Botham wasn't with the elephant at the time, but he was connected via one of his walks hence I thought some one may have remembered it from that. A sort of Hannibal and the elephant story.
    In Newcastle, it had been used to open an Indian restaurant Off Clayton Street by the catholic cathedral I think. I met it with the owner or handler under Greys monument, I couldn't believe my eyes, I asked if it would like some bananas and went and bought some and fed it while every one else stood back it was a lovely little thing.
    Strangely enough I once met a pair of circus elephants and handlers in Rembrandt square, Amsterdam who had opened an Indian restaurant there, but they were fully grown, and kept feeling between my legs as I talked to the owners.

4. tennisfan

tennisfan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A quick google reveals -

The three elephants were withdrawn from Botham's Hannibal-style crossing of the European Alps after they had covered 10km of the 800km route.
    Wildlife expert David Taylor spotted one of the elephants, Salammbo, but
    also known as Batman, go lame in one foot.

5. dean

Thanks tennisfan I have seen that, though they were adult or at least sub adult , but this elephant was I believe on one of his UK walks, may be I'm miss remembering it, but I seam to remember he commented on the baby elephants death.