Join our zoo community

Iberian Lynx in Europe

Discussion in 'Europe - General' started by Grant Rhino, 28 Jun 2017.

1. Grant Rhino

Grant Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm guessing there may already be a thread about this, but how many Iberian Lynx are there in Europe and how many zoos are exhibiting and breeding them?

I'm very interested to see this species if/when I'm in Europe next.

2. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

They can only be seen in Spain and Portugal, they have not been allowed out of their native range yet.

3. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

To be precise, the following collections hold the species at the present time; Lisbon Zoo in Portugal, and Selwo Aventura, Jerez Zoo and Madrid Zoo in Spain.

Of these, the only collection that has bred the species is Jerez Zoo, due to the fact that unlike the other three collections listed - which only hold genetically surplus or elderly stock not recommended for breeding - this collection also holds off-display stock which is part of the overall breeding programme.

4. Grant Rhino

Grant Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm amazed that so few zoos are participating in a breeding program or even displaying the species! Is there any reason for this?

5. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

All four zoos holding the species are participating in the breeding programme; their function is to serve as a location for individuals too old to breed, or genetically over-represented in the breeding programme. Until relatively recently, the breeding population was low enough that there was no such need and every animal was required; as such the off-display breeding centres could not spare any stock for public display elsewhere.

As time has passed, the population has grown and the prospect of "ambassador animals" being placed on public display has become a reality; however it is still early days, relatively speaking. In time I suspect the species will become rather more common in public collections, even outside the Iberian peninsula.

Haliaeetus likes this.
  6. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Just to clarify the above post, there is a solid breeding program with several individuals. The breeding centers are just not part of public zoos as the intent was to breed cats out of sight for reintroduction to the wild (which is now happening).

I was lucky to photograph them at ZooBotanico Jerez, which at the time was the only public display (though I saw one at night in the wild a couple years prior in Sierra de Andujar National Park). Though the zoo overall is substandard, the lynx exhibit is pretty good. I am not sure what the other three exhibits are like. If you go, Jerez is an easy hour train ride from Seville (but then another 45 minute bus ride from train station to zoo). Also note this zoo and many others in Spain are closed Mondays, even though this fact is not advertised.

7. Antoine

Antoine Well-Known Member 10+ year member

There was some rumours since three months but now it's more concrete : Natur'Zoo de Mervent in France is planning to welcome iberian lynxes. A pair was expected for spring but the transfer was delayed with the covid-19 crisis.

As a reminder, the zoo built a new 4.000 square meters enclosure this year for lynxes (at the beginning the species was not specified). At the moment, they have two brothers carpathian lynxes coming from la Haute-Touche.

Deux frères lynx au Natur’Zoo de Mervent - Guide d'été 2020 Vendée

Edit : From what I know breeding center in Spain are full and the wild population is now at a good level. It could be the reason for seeing more iberian lynxes in other european zoos in the future.

8. Stefan Verhoeven

Stefan Verhoeven Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Indeed the wild Iberian lynx population is growing, naturally and thru reintroduction. The wild population took a gigantic (almost devastating) hit, after the occurence of Rabbit Hemorrhagic Disease a viral disease with high mortality in their favorite prey, rabbits. I was afraid that the occurence of Rabbit Hemorrhagic disease type 2 (a variant of the old strain, but without crossprotection after infection) a few years ago couldhave the same effect on the current Rabbit population and subsequent on the Iberian lynx population. Till date there isn't a big impact noted.

Great to hear a French zoo is getting the species. I have seen them in the past in Madrid zoo. Unfortunately I wasn't as lucky as @Arizona Docent to see them in the wild.

9. SivatheriumGuy

SivatheriumGuy Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Kifaru Bwana, Jungle Man and Antoine like this.
  10. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Cordoba Zoo also now have a pair, so with Mervent this means there will soon be seven zoos in Europe with them. My hopes for possible future holders would include Parc des Felins, Prague, and Bristol...

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  11. SivatheriumGuy

Cordoba? I can't find anything about Cordoba getting Iberian lynx. Are you from Cordoba?

12. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

No, a contact of mine informed me this was the case last year. I might be mistaken, but I'm pretty confident that she's correct. They made an announcement in 2017 they were due to receive them, so that solidifies my belief in her telling the truth.

Iberlince - Lince Ibérico - Iberlince - Lince Ibérico

SivatheriumGuy likes this.
  13. SivatheriumGuy

I knew that they started building, but I didn't know that they already got them.

14. Antoine

Mervent will welcome their iberian lynx in a few days :cool:

15. SivatheriumGuy

Great to know! Do you know where they come from?

16. Antoine

SivatheriumGuy likes this.
  17. Antoine

Few hours to go...:)

18. Antoine

So the press release is there : the zoo welcome Fruta, a 12 years old female born in El Acebuche, and K5, her 8 years old son. Fruta has 21 cubs who 16 were reintroduced into the wild.

It will take some times before the lynxes will be on view.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  19. SivatheriumGuy

Mother and son then? Nice! Hope we get some pics once they can go on exhibit.
    It's so weird (In a positive way) to see Iberian lynx outside of the peninsula!

Antoine and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  20. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A list of zoos currently holding Iberian lynx within the Peninsula and those that do not as yet. I would think it helpful if all zoos in areas with active reintroduction sites have the species on exhibit. With the erstwhile first breeders ageing it is imperative zoos provide spaces for non breeding surplus individuals. The only exception right now is Jerez de la Frontera Bioparco.

SivatheriumGuy and Antoine like this.