Join our zoo community

International Centre for Birds of Prey - Newent ICBP, International centre for birds of prey

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by kiang, 20 Feb 2008.

1. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

After a terrible 3 years in South Carolina, USA, Jemima Parry-Jones and her world class collection of birds of prey are back in Britain.
    Now based in Hereford-shire she is slowly building a park for the study and breeding of birds of prey from around the world, and i for one wish her luck.
    About Us | International Centre for Birds of Prey | ICBP.org

This arrival also means we have 3 pairs of Steller's sea eagle in the UK.:)

wayne4swfc likes this.
  2. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

What species do they keep there?

3. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

3 pairs of Stellers Sea Eagle,their is a pair at Edinburgh,weyhill hasn`t Whipsnade or London got a pair as well,also believe their is at least 1 in private hands as i heard of 1 been used in a falconry demo in Yorkshire about 2 years ago.

4. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

5. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I have visited twice, and enjoyed myself both times.

6. mark77

mark77 Well-Known Member

It is still at Newent an attempt to open a new centre to the public in herefordshire failed, then the original Newent centre became available to buy back from whom it had been sold to.

7. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Why did they move to the USA and why did they then move back again?:confused:

8. Bele

Bele Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The full sad story was on the ICBP web-site , not certain if still there . Jemima P-J was going to join up with a collection in South Carolina . She sold Newent , leaving some birds as part of the sale , then packed up all the rest of the birds plus her labrador dogs and went to the USA . This must have been over 3 years ago .

I cannot remember the precise details of what went wrong , but things were not as expected , so she packed up again and came back to the UK . A property was found in Herefordshire where they went through all the usual problems of planning permission etc.
    Meantime the birds were ' in storage' in a warehouse-type building . The new owners of the Newent Centre did not make a go of it , sounds like it went down-hill quite quickly , the birds there were sold and the property put back on the market . JP-J bought it back and was able to move her birds back , after 3 years of being kept indoors , and they are hard at work trying to get the buildings and grounds back to how they had been .

I hope I have got the outline of the story correct , I dread to think how much it has all cost .

9. Hawk

Hawk Well-Known Member

There is a pair of Stellers Sea Eagles at Hawk Conservancy Trust as well.
    I can also remember going to the center before she moved to the USA, it'll be interesting to go back and see what species they have now compared to when i last visited

10. mark77

mark77 Well-Known Member

On their website there is something about all this in the about/history section and first newsletter. Also about the funding that enabled the return to newent.

11. mark77

mark77 Well-Known Member

I visited near the end of the inbetween owners stay and the changes then were certainly interesting!

12. Hawk

Hawk Well-Known Member

hmm I'm even more intrigued now

13. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Weyhill is the Hawk Conservancy Trust!

14. Hawk

Hawk Well-Known Member

Yeah I realize that now my bad lol

15. Bwassa

Bwassa Well-Known Member

We have visited the Centre when JP-J had it previously, and in the interim period. Our last visit was this July, and the only species I remember seeing originally that were no longer there were White- Bellied Sea Eagles, Bald Eagles and Mountain Hawk Eagles. I have a few photos in the gallery from our last visit.

16. Bele

The latest newsletter on the ICBP reports that a Steller's Sea Eagle has hatched and is bing parent-reared . Excellent news , I wonder if this is a first for the UK .

17. Bele

The April 2011 newsletter reports the hatching of a further 2 Steller's Sea Eagles this year . Last year's yougster is being trained for flying demonstration - should be quite a sight .

On the web-site there is a fascinating diary recording the loss and final recovery of a Bald eagle over a week in January .

18. Bwassa

Bwassa Well-Known Member

Good news about the Steller's Sea Eagles!
    It will certainly be worth returning if they will be flying one of these impressive eagles!

19. Bele

ICBP have now opened a second centre at Duncombe Park , Helmsley , Yorkshire .

20. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

The Yorkshire site is not too far - about 40 miles - from myself. Once it falls onto its feet I may have to give it a visit!