Join our zoo community

ID?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by DaLilFishie, 11 Jul 2020.

1. DaLilFishie

DaLilFishie Well-Known Member

Saw this little guy at the Osaka Aquarium in December 2019. Does anyone have any idea what it is? It was kept in the Japan Deep exhibit with no signage on the tank. The tank was fairly small and it was the only animal in the tank. It was about 5cm (2in) long. The blue lights on the tank made it difficult to tell what colour it was but I think it was grey. It was mostly motionless but started to swim very slowly when I was taking photos, before settling on the bottom again. Looks like some species of fathead sculpin (genus Psychrolutes) or some species of coffinfish (seems to have some kind of lure on it's head). I couldn't find anything online about this little guy. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Unknown 9.JPG

Last edited: 11 Jul 2020
    Yoshistar888 likes this.
  2. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'm of no help with the ID, but we have a media gallery just for this sort of thing :) When you go to the media page, it's under the "other zoo & animal galleries" folder: Animal or Zoo Identification - ZooChat

3. DaLilFishie

DaLilFishie Well-Known Member

Thank you so much! I didn't know that was there.

4. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

You're welcome! Members here are pretty good at IDing species, there's a few fish experts that should be able to help.