Join our zoo community

Ideas on composting carnivore faeces??

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by MonikaZ, 15 Mar 2013.

1. MonikaZ

MonikaZ New Member

Hi all,
    I am a keeper at Healesville Sanctuary, Zoos Victoria and doing some research into a more sustainable way of disposing our Tasmanian Devil and other carnivore faeces.
    With a population of 80+ Devils in our captive breeding program I am looking into if any small scale composting system exists to better dispose of our waste. A rough survey showed we collect around 50+ kg /week!! And I am sure something exists out there better than landfill!
    I have heard of small scale systems that use bacterial decomposing with by-products being heat. Is anyone familiar with any of these systems?
    Any ideas would be great!
    Cheers

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

sort of left field I guess, but what about dung beetles cultures. Then you get rid of the waste and produce beetles for food as well.

3. MonikaZ

MonikaZ New Member

Thanks for reply I have thought about worms but always needed more organic waste along with faeces but dung beetles might be worth an extra look. Thanks

4. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I believe that in Artis (NL) they selled tiger poo as a repellent for cats in your garden, it appears to work really well. Maybe it also work with tassie devil poo...

5. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

Taronga composts their waste on site, and puts it back on the gardens; you could contact your contemporaries there and see what they say.

:p

Hix