Join our zoo community

Idiots. Idiots Everywhere.

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by Nate Brother, 16 Aug 2018.

1. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Nope, I'm open to anything... Unless they're humanoid in shape! :p Oh yeah, wouldn't try bats either, the Ebola crisis put me off! ;)

ZooBinh likes this.
  2. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Oh yes, I remember seeing that guy on Animal Planet a few years back... I never liked him or his show much. Too much hillbilly for me.

Armadillo doesn't seem advisable to try to me either, as armadillos are the only mammals other than humans known to carry leprosy.

It's not just ebola you'd have to worry about with bats, there's plenty of other nasty diseases you can get from bats. In general it's probably advisable not to ever eat bats and to be very careful or avoid entering caves or other places where wild bats gather.

Personally I would be very hesitant to try any kind of "bushmeat", i.e. meat of tropical wild animals, both for reasons of illegal and unethical hunting and trade and for reason of risk of disease.

Speaking of idiots, I recently came across this old clips showing some idiot trying to ride a giraffe. Giraffe's not having it. Guy's lucky he didn't get seriously kicked.

birdsandbats and Brum like this.
  3. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I apologise in advance, but someone had to...

Brum likes this.
  4. Brum

@KevinB I did know that but totally overlooked it. I will change my opinion to armadillos bred for the meat market, if such a thing exists! :p As for bats, Ebola is a good enough reason alone, no need to reinforce the point! :p ;)
    @Crowthorne Very good, Oi do likes armadillos, crunchy on the outside, soft in the middle! :D

ThylacineAlive, Crowthorne and KevinB like this.
  5. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

A while ago in Florida there was a fad of shooting and eating wild armadillos. Several people ended up dying from diseases they carried.

6. Brum

I totally missed this in my off the cuff reply. Yeah, I'd be dubious about eating anything wild caught in case of diseases and because of hunting pressure. My stance is in favour of sustainable hunting and proper food hygiene standards. My opinion on bat meat should have proved that point but just thought I'd reiterate it here in case anyone thought I was a depraved meat monster! ;)

Birdsage likes this.
  7. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Some wild-ish animals are tasty, like frogs and since we're talking about this, has anyone else tried jellyfish?

8. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Cassidy Casuar likes this.
  9. ZooBinh

My mom's high school friends from Vietnam sent her a picture of a backyard grill, guess what was on the menu: squirrel, not just any squirrel, the flying squirrel, I have no idea how they got their hand on those guys, but there were a good 10-15 of them...

10. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Are you sure about the Yapok? I didn't think they were found in Trinidad so I googled it, and the evidence is tenuous.

11. Nate Brother

Nate Brother Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I love how this thread has just devolved into all the different types of animals you could eat.:p

12. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Well she just said a large opossum and when I looked into opossums of Trinidad that was the only one of any good size listed as living on the island. Common Opossums are Tobago only.

~Thylo

13. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

14. Mr. Zootycoon

Mr. Zootycoon Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That does explain the difficulties @Chlidonias had when trying to find wild mammals in Vietnam! :eek:

On a similar note, I once was with a group of waterfowl breeders from Aviornis (a private keeper association), and they talked about a place where the eggs of Torrent ducks were collected to eat. They had the brilliant idea to go there one day and try to trade the ducks eggs for 100 chicken eggs each :p

zoomaniac and ZooBinh like this.
  15. Nate Brother

Nate Brother Well-Known Member 5+ year member

There is a large Kentucky community dedicated to cooking snapping turtles.

16. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I'm guessing you just looked at the Wikipedia page for the mammal list (which is wrong). Common Opossums are widespread in Trinidad and heavily hunted for food there. Also Yapoks aren't exactly what I would call large.

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  17. Emanuel Theodorus

Emanuel Theodorus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Last edited by a moderator: 15 Jan 2019
    ZooBinh and ThylacineAlive like this.
  18. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

I ate pickled jellyfish at a restaurant in San Francisco's Chinatown. It didn't taste like anything besides pickled; texture-wise, it was sort of like eating tough pieces of animal fat. Chewy and stringy, but it was cold. I found it inoffensive, but I can see why a lot of people would be turned off by it... although personally, I think we should be eating a lot more of it given the massive jellyfish booms that have been occurring.

ZooBinh likes this.
  19. ZooBinh

My mom made a Vietnamese jellyfish salad, to me, it tasted like cold rice paper......and yes, I do agree we should eat more jellyfish. (that sounded better in my mind)

Nate Brother likes this.
  20. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

What kind of jellyfish can be consumed? I didn't know jellyfish were.

~Thylo