Join our zoo community

If You Could Be An Elephant......

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Sarus Crane, 2 Sep 2017.

1. Sarus Crane

Sarus Crane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

So for everybody here that likes elephants, have you ever thought what would it be like if you could be an elephant? Which individual elephant would you want to teach you the ropes on how to be an elephant? You can pick from living and deceased individuals, captive or wild, African or Asian. If its too hard to choose one, you can pick two individual elephants.

If you were a cow, would you like to be the matriarch or another female? If you were the matriarch, what would be your core leadership qualities you would instill within the herd? Would you like to live in a large or small herd? Do you like helping to babysit the calves or having quality girltime with the other cows?

If you were a bull, would you be an aggressive bull or more placid? Are you a ladies man or a nomadic loner? Would your musth cycle render you completely unpredictable and dangerous or make you subdued and totally "out of it". Do you like to test your strength on enrichment/habitat furnishings or enjoy stimulating activities like painting with your keeper or participating in training sessions?

I probably would want Siam (deceased, Zoo Vincennes) or Spike (Busch Gardens Tampa) to be my mentor. They're both ladies' men and get along well with the herd. They both have a magnificent appearance and grew/grow nice mammoth-like tusks. I probably wouldn't mind roughhousing with a tire or heavy object to get out my frustrations every now and then, but also would enjoy painting with my keeper or other activities to keep my brain stimulated. Plus, I eat a lot (big servings) so I can identify with those two on that!

2. Komodo99

Komodo99 Well-Known Member

This is quite an interesting idea for a thread.

I would want to be a bull Asian Elephant(species I have seen the most)I would have to think that would be quite aggressive with my musth cycle reflecting that but on the flip side I would prefer to be a nomadic loner,only coming together when needed.

I would enjoy testing my strength and doing some stimulating activities that the keepers would provide.

The elephant I would have to base myself off would have to be Aung-Bo from Chester Zoo.He has a nice set of tusks,has fathered three calves in the past couple of years and enjoys spending time with the calves as well.He also gets quite out of control during musth as well.