Join our zoo community

If you could have any fantastical pet...

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by TheMightyOrca, 29 Dec 2014.

1. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

So I've been writing a series of short stories, a futuristic thing where genetic manipulation, cloning, and other techniques have been perfected and are used to create all sorts of crazy animals for work, entertainment, and companionship. Animals might have altered physical appearances, or different personalities to make them better suited for whatever people want them for. I know it sounds a bit silly and juvenile, but it's fun to write. Different stories explore different aspects of it, going into implications and ethics and all that stuff.

Just for fun, say you live in this world and you want to get some pets that wouldn't be practical or possible in real life. Maybe a lion as friendly and trainable as a dog? Or how about seals tiny enough for a home aquarium? Would you want any animals designed to work? Or how about something designed to look like a favorite fictional or mystical creature? You could even have a cloned extinct animal, or at least an animal designed to resemble an extinct species.

2. Cassidy Casuar

Cassidy Casuar Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

I would love it if rabbits were bred to be as large as Border Collies.

3. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Pikachu. Portable, easily accessible source of eco-friendly, renewable energy.
    @CC: ever watched "Night of the Lepus"? ;)

4. AverageWalrus

AverageWalrus Well-Known Member

Okay, lets see, Flygon (the pokemon), a Walrus the size of a Cocker Spaniel, Sea Turtles the Size of Red Eared Sliders (Hawksbill preferably), A Penguin, Giant Sea Monkeys, Giant Triops, a Velociraptor trained to not kill everything, A Chameleon that could change into every color seeable by humans, an Eternally Baby Sloth wearing Pajamas, and a talking blue cat with wings (you can have a cookie if you get the reference)

5. wensleydale

wensleydale Well-Known Member

A flying (it would levitate), talking (it would speak English perfectly) Bottlenose Dolphin who would act as my secretary and deal with people I don't like for me. It would catch its own food and cost next to nothing to take to the vet. Better make that two or three so they could each have off time. Also, a talking Lion who could guard the front of my house. He would have sort of a dog mentality in that he would protect me. He would only eat rice and beans.

6. Merintia

Merintia Well-Known Member 5+ year member

A dragon, or a fell beast. Also could be any flying creature, big enough to carry me on his back and to eat unpleasant people :p

7. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Amazing. I always imagined that levitating dolphins would be pretty sweet. If I were to go that route, I'd make it bioluminescent as well. Everything is better when it lights up.

If I were to get a lion, I'd want a giant fluffy pink one like in Steven Universe. Bonus points if they can figure out how to make it run on water and have supersonic roars.

Also I want a polar bear dog like in Legend of Korra. And would it kill to get a cat that won't attack me?

8. CarrettJay

CarrettJay Member

A terror bird

Last edited: 1 Feb 2015
  9. Elephas Maximus

Elephas Maximus Well-Known Member

10. Morgan

Morgan Well-Known Member

an elephant that's as large as a house cat

11. wensleydale

wensleydale Well-Known Member

Dr Seuss had a book, Happy Birthday To You! One of the presents was a pet. I would want the pet from the book, the tallest one.

Also, has anyone ever read "The Nimrod Hunt." I would want one of the living art pieces mentioned in the book, I remember that one of them was a half inch bear that was described as walking across a lily pad.

12. Macaw16

Macaw16 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Russian Dwarf Hamsters who don't bight! Or a Pushmi-pullyu from Doctor Dolittle.