Join our zoo community

If you could meet anyone dead or alive, who would it be? Why?

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by Moebelle, 20 Aug 2012.

1. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Not sure if this is the right place to put this but I wanted to put it somewhere.

Anyways the one person I really would've like to have met was the King of the Music industry, one of the greatest Humanitarians of all time, the record breaker of Music, and the greatest performer of all time, Michael Joseph Jackson.

The reason I would want to meet him is not only because I am a fan but just to see how loving and caring the guy really was. He gave us so much love and the media and the world mostly gave him hate after his false allegations. Now you can believe what you want about it, but even little research on Wikipedia shows that he was innocent. Anyways he was one of the greatest people to ever (moon)walk this Earth:p, he cared for children, especially ill ones, he built the Ranch so they could come over there and have the great childhood he never had. He filled people with his love and that is why I would have loved to have met him.

2. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I actually think about this all the time and I have my answer ready for when people ask who the three people that I'd invite to a dinner party are :)
    Firstly David Attenborough - Seeing him talk the other night did nothing to dampen how much I respect his work and he just seems like he would be the most genuine person.
    Secondly Stephen Fry - Anyone that's read Moab is my Washpot and The Fry Chronicles will understand why.
    And thirdly Kate Bush - She is just so magnetic and mysterious. She hasn't performed live in years and can still put out incredible music.

Honourable mentions go to Joanne Rowling, Tilda Swinton, And Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

3. OrangePerson

OrangePerson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I too would like meet Michael Jackson and ask him
    a) to fund the retirement of his pet chimp that he dumped when it became not so cute
    b) to publicise that chimps are not suitable pets and many end up suffering a horrible fate when their cute & cuddly phase passes, as well as they way they and their mother suffers when they are removed as a baby so that maladjusted humans can play at being mummy.
    It would have been great if something good could have come from his Bubbles phase.

4. Moebelle

That's not entirely true, Michael (or whoever did) sent him to an animal sanctuary in fear that Bubbles would attack Prince Michael II, who was a newborn at the time.

5. OrangePerson

OrangePerson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Bubbles is in an excellent sanctuary, but not sent by MJ. He was at the trainer's compound until it closed. His care is funded by public donations.

At least, I suppose, he was saved by MJ from the medical research he was otherwise destined for and appears to have recovered from the craziness to become a balanced social chimp.

6. Pootle

Pootle Well-Known Member

If I had to narrow it down to one person, I reckon I would go for Charles Darwin just before he let his findings become public knowledge. It would have been fascinating talking to him and discussing with him what would happen upon publication.

The above just beats meeting Neil Armstrong after he has taken a large portion of truth serum.

7. JBZvolunteer

JBZvolunteer Well-Known Member

I would love to be able to walk through the san diego zoo with Mr Wegeforth. Though honestly, I would be completely happy to meet my dead grandpa and My great great uncle Nick.

8. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It's a dead heat for me - Charles Darwin (like Pootle) and his exact contemporary Abraham Lincoln. I think Darwin would be a little more interesting, but Lincoln would tell better jokes.

Alan

9. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

Abi Titmuss... well... :eek: :D

10. Javan Rhino

Javan Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I would definitely say JK Rowling as somebody alive I'd love to meet, as well as David Attenbourgh.

As for somebody dead that I would have liked to have met, George Mottershead.

11. wenxue

wenxue Active Member

My Great Grandfather. My Great Grandmother kicked him out when my Nana was 11. He had lost the family business due to gambling debts. My Nana saw him walking down the road and her mother told her she would never see him again. She was taken to see him a couple of times on the quiet by her aunt by she never really got to know him or his family background (into which I have done some digging). He wasn't at her wedding as his name is wrong on her marriage certificate. He also had a son from an earlier marriage. My Nana's half brother that she apparently was in touch with throughout her adult life. He was kept a secret from the rest of the family though and I only found out about him via a conversation with my Nana's cousin (after finding certificates etc).

People from recent and ancient times: Ofra Haza, Wan Rong (wife of Pu Yi), Cao Xueqin, Wang Wei - probably lots more will come to mind later on.

Edit: Also Richard Halliburton

Last edited: 22 Aug 2012
  12. DDcorvus

DDcorvus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I would doubt very much between Don Merton and Geri Durrell. I would have too many questions for either of them.

13. nanoboy

nanoboy Well-Known Member

Hmm... I wouldn't mind having Sir David Attenborough over for dinner to hear some of his stories.

Sir Ranulph Fiennes (supposedly the world's greatest living adventurer) would be great to sit next to on a flight from Singapore to Los Angeles. The stories he could tell! I mean, who runs 7 marathons on 7 continents in 7 consecutive days?

If ever I write a techno-thriller novel, one of the characters will be based on Werner von Braun, so I really would have liked to interview him. von Braun was the German godfather of rocketry (Poms: think V2 rocket) who surrendered to the Yanks at the end of WWII and ran their space programme - allowing them to pull ahead (alongside?) of the Soviets in the space race. You really couldn't make up a better story than his: I can't think of anyone who could go from wearing an SS uniform with Himmler and having Jewish slaves build rockets, to being best buds with the US President (JFK) 20 years later, and narrating a Disney film!

14. AnaheimZoo

AnaheimZoo Well-Known Member

#1. Hands-down, my #1 is Michael Jackson, preferably during the "Bad" era. He was a musical genius, an icon... I'd guess that over 50% of the people on this forum believe that he was an insane, sick pedophile, but based on what I know I'd definitely want to meet him. I'd also like a few weeks of dance training with him. :D

Others (in no particular order):

Steve Irwin - No explanation necessary. A legend.

David Attenborough - For some reason I'd most want to discuss the behaviors of Birds-of-Paradise with him. Not sure why. :p

Leona Lewis - That's my girlfriend. :D

Adam Levine - Lead vocalist for Maroon 5- my second favorite group/artist (behind Mr. Michael Jackson of course :p)

Ryan Higa & Julian Smith - YouTube sensations

Jim Carrey - One of my favorite actors

Dirk Nowitzki - German National Basketball Association Power Forward for the Dallas Mavericks (one of my favorite pro athletes)

Derek Jeter - Major League Baseball Shortstop for the New York Yankees (one of my favorite pro athletes)

Curtis Granderson - Major League Baseball Center Fielder for the New York Yankees (one of my favorite pro athletes)

There are quite a few others, but couldn't possibly name them all.

15. Moebelle

Elizabeth Taylor said he was the least weirdest person you could ever meet. The only thing he was sick of was vitiligo, insomnia, lupus, a disease where he couldn't look at himself in the mirror, and lastly... the media.

16. AnaheimZoo

I believe he had body dysmorphic disorder, as well; I assume that's what you meant when saying "he couldn't look at himself in the mirror"? He was stuck thinking he always had flaws and therefore obsessed over it, and didn't care what anyone else thought of his appearance. And that's why he kept on with the face changes.

17. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

Call me musically ignorant, but I have never understood why he was popular. The music to me is bland. Maybe I don't know music well enough though.

18. AnaheimZoo

Maybe you are bland. :D Almost everyone says that "Billie Jean" was one of the most revolutionary songs in music history!

Wait, revolutionary is the word I'm looking for, right?

19. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

Everyone? I'm sure I could find dozens, if not hundreds, of pieces of music more important.

20. Moebelle

It wasn't really just is music that made him famous but the fact that he cared for the world and it's people more than anyone. He donated over $350,000,000 to charities. Besides that, all his songs had a meaning to it.