Join our zoo community

Iguanaland Iguanaland - Punta Gorda ( Florida )

Discussion in 'United States' started by vogelcommando, 19 Jan 2021.

1. red river hog

red river hog Well-Known Member

Someone commented that on one of his posts and he replied that it won’t.

ThylacineAlive and TNT like this.
  2. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

As mentioned, he has said it won't have an impact on the zoo. IIRC zoos and wildlife educators are exempt from the new law.

I imagine it might have impact on his business(?) of selling them, however. I don't remember whether the ban includes Cyclura iguanas or just Iguana iguanas, though. I think there are a good few private keepers/breeders of Cyclura in Florida...

~Thylo

red river hog likes this.
  3. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey In the Swamp Premium Member 5+ year member

It seems a lot of the rules don
    The ban is for all tegu's, but as far as I am aware, just Iguana iguanas. (as well as a number of monitor, python and anaconda species)

4. wally war eagle

wally war eagle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

opening summer 2021. Go to website for videos. Also on Kamp Kenan

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  5. ThylacineAlive

Did he bump up the opening? He announced September 18 a couple weeks ago on instagram.

~Thylo

Kifaru Bwana and red river hog like this.
  6. SwampDonkey

If you are interested in this place, definitely follow their Facebook and Instagram accounts. They have been showing the construction updates and this is going to be an epic facility, probably one of (if not the) best reptile in general and iguana specific facilities in the world. The rock iguana outdoor habitats are really well done, and the species that will be on display are more complete than anywhere else.

CMP, Kifaru Bwana and red river hog like this.
  7. SwampDonkey

Ty just confirmed on Facebook that it is still a September opening, but he also said one can go now on a private tour ($25 per person, minimum 4 people).

8. ThylacineAlive

Ty has always offered the private tours since the first publication of the new zoo's construction.

~Thylo

TinoPup likes this.
  9. SwampDonkey

Obviously they missed the September grand opening, but here is the latest update from today from Facebook:

Here is the update on Iguanaland:
    I have staff of 5 taking care of our animals and plants; 2 building Cyclura Center; 2 working on our Chelonian Center; 2-4 working on building the bathrooms; Derek and Resa coming back in November to finish our murals and some volunteers helping us out when they can. I’m also hopeful that, after talking with Ed today, Greg and Ed from Aquascape can build our alligator snapping turtle aquarium in our main display area.

We hope to open to the public by the end of the year or the beginning of 2022.
    Thank you for your financial and emotional support and prayers—-I’m grateful.

CMP and TinoPup like this.
  10. ThylacineAlive

The Fort Worth Zoo has chosen to move all remaining breeding Anegada Ground Iguanas to Iguanaland in a last ditch effort to get this population breeding again. There are only three fertile females left in the country.

~Thylo

11. SwampDonkey

Yes, apparently some at the AZA are not exactly thrilled in that decision either.

12. ThylacineAlive

No, the AZA is notoriously exclusive and distrustful of private sector individuals. While there can be good reason for this, time and time again good connections with private breeders proves more valuable for sustaining programs than most zoos. This is especially true where herps and fish are concerned, but many of our hoofstock programs would be long dead without outside help.

~Thylo

Birdsage, PossumRoach, CMP and 4 others like this.
  13. SwampDonkey

Oh, I know, it can be quite frustrating in regards to some species, especially herps.

StoppableSan likes this.
  14. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

15. ThylacineAlive

I'm not really sure what officials expected. Florida suddenly made the possession of the species Ty has been a breeder off for however many decades illegal. It takes time to off-load what was probably a couple hundred iguanas. If you follow his social media, you'll see that he has been hard at work for many months off-loading animals and constructing new habitats, particularly outdoor iguana pens. I find this to be a pretty unfair situation for him and Iguanaland, but hopefully will act as nothing more than a set-back.

~Thylo

16. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It's indeed a little ridiculous that such a common species is suddenly illegal !

17. ThylacineAlive

The outlawing of the species itself makes sense, they are highly invasive in Florida and throughout the Caribbean.

~Thylo

TinoPup and StoppableSan like this.
  18. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

According to that article the grace period for applying for permits, tagging all individuals, and upgrading indoor enclosures was only 3 months while the grace period for upgrading outdoor enclosures was 9 months. I can see that being a very short time window if you hold hundreds of individuals and a large number of enclosures.

Not only that, but there have been reports of immobilized ones falling out of the trees in Florida when it gets cold!

TinoPup and ThylacineAlive like this.
  19. ThylacineAlive

Especially when you're actively constructing an entire zoo, and therefore brand new facilities for all the animals. I would also imagine his priority lately has been more his Cyclura iguanas since he is the only (public) holder of at least three taxa, one of which he holds the entirety of the females of!

~Thylo

TinoPup likes this.
  20. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I have a friend in Key West with the same dog breed as Tino, her two kill roughly one a day. A previous dog of hers who was a keen hunter would bring in several a day. All from her average sized yard!

Birdsage and nczoofan like this.