Join our zoo community

I'm going to volunteer at a zoo

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by Hipporex, 30 Jul 2019.

1. Hipporex

Hipporex Well-Known Member 5+ year member

A couple weeks back I got a letter with some rather exiting news and I just figured I'd share said news here. As some of you know a couple months ago I interviewed to become a teen volunteer at the Sacramento Zoo. Well, I got in! I've been wanting do this for several years but being as the zoo's a ways away I figured it wouldn't be possible. However this is the last year I could possibly be in it due to the age limit so I figured screw it and so I applied. I was overjoyed to get the news. I won't be working with animals directly but from rather be giving educational presentations and helping keepers making enrichment, among other things. I have a friend who does it and she says it's amazing. It starts August 24 Also some of you may remember this thread, Just got a job as an animal ambassador docent, where I shared that I got a job as an animal ambassador docent at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom. Two things: 1) it's going amazingly well. 2) Yes I'll still be doing the job in addition to volunteering, I'll just have to juggle the two.

Last edited: 30 Jul 2019
  2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Just don't repeat the mistake another young and enthusiastic American member of this site made by blabbing every little bit of news and offrecord information you may hear in either position :p

Brum and ThylacineAlive like this.
  3. Hipporex

Hipporex Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I appreciate the advice and I don't plan on it. I've already been given good tips from another Zoochatter on what to and to not share. I'll just use common sense, which, contrary to popular belief, I have

4. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Which is paradoxically uncommon :p

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  5. Daktari JG

Daktari JG Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Congrats you're getting your foot in the door of the zoo world

Hipporex likes this.