Join our zoo community

im opening a new zoo 2010 june/july need help

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by dom1989, 19 Nov 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dom1989

dom1989 Member

thats not my birth year its a random number i use on every account i have online its easy to remember personal reasons im 32

2. taun

taun Well-Known Member

lol, I find it strange that I have not found any public notices for the building work or for acquiring a zoo licence? :confused:

3. foz

foz Well-Known Member

Now I'm no expert on business or zoos however I cannot see how a small zoo (admittedly connected with hotels in a very popular tourist region) can offer tourists somehting they can't get from the established Newquay zoo?

I dont see the unique selling point that would mean people will visit a small new collection of small primates, birds and servals (although a cat section sounds more ambitious than a serval) over Newquay zoo of lions, tropical house, african savannha etc

I dont want to sound mean and I am in full support of the dream (shared by many zoochatters) to run a zoo, but i dont think near Newquay is a viable option, perhaps further down Cornwall where there are no/few zoos is a more realistic option.

Wishing all the best, foz. :D

ps I dont think enocurgaing the trade in exotic monkeys should be promoted by any zoo new or old. :)

4. dom1989

dom1989 Member

where u live taun

5. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Am sorry if some of us seem sceptical about this, but surely you can see where this is coming from with the small amount of information you have posted here.

You’re asking for details for private breeders which you won’t get here publicly.

6. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Reasons To Be Sceptical: Part 1

1. Name is bad and ridiculous (overblown) for what is implied to be a fairly small, new establishment;
    2. Nobody with a brain would set up on the well-established Newquay Zoo's doorstep;
    3. The time-scale mentioned is highly optimistic unrealistic;
    4. Someone on that time-scale would already have established contacts with various dealers;
    5. I'm sceptical about the 1989 justification (good spot HuxleyPig).

Anybody want to help me out here?

Last edited: 19 Nov 2009
  7. Zambar

Zambar Well-Known Member 15+ year member 10+ year member 5+ year member

The unproffesional style in the posts, the reasons listed above and the fact he's looking for advice from a zoo made of mostly of unproffesional enthusiasts leads to me conclude this chap is clearly a fantasist, who is actually 20 years old as Huxley has already scoured from the '1989'.

8. redpanda

redpanda Well-Known Member

I, too, am sceptical about the time-scale, not to mention the obvious - and rather unecessary - competition with newquay zoo. However, with the financial backing which the project appears to have, it could work and if it does I look forward to seeing the result.

9. HuxleyPig

HuxleyPig Well-Known Member

I'm remaining hopeful and optimistic to the point of foolish to be honest. I'd like to think it's true, and if so, am highly interested in being a part of it. But I think, in all honesty, we're gonna need something factual please.

I hope you're not just wasting my time, I really do.

10. Shorts

What, because he says he's got £800k?

P.S. I'm Johnny Depp:)

11. redpanda

You basically summed up my opinion, some things don't add up but I don't think that he's lying. Unprofessional perhaps, but from his posts that would make sense as he says that he is in the hotel business so would not naturally know too much about zoos. I could be being stupid on this but think that perhaps other members have rather jumped to conclusions and not given the guy a chance. Something more solid would be nice though, it would help to swing it either way.

EDIT: we are conversing over the internet Shorts, for all you know I might be Johnny Depp.

12. HuxleyPig

HuxleyPig Well-Known Member

Well, neither of you can be. For I am.

13. Shorts

redpanda, one of us is misinterpreting the above.

You've taken it to mean "he" owns 10 hotels, it can just as easily be seen that he's spoke to 10 hotels who'll give out tickets for publicity purposes.

I suspect it's probably neither, but I'm sure your interpretation will be claimed.

14. Shorts

I'm Spartacus (played by Johnny Depp)!

15. redpanda

Yes, I didn't see it that way. Still, it will be interesting to hear what Dom1989 has to say on the matter.

16. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Sorry Redpanda but where is this information that he owns hotels? He mentions getting hotels to give vouchers out for him.

I will apologise for giving him a hard time if they can provide enough evidence to satisfy that this isn't a wind up, but this is the internet and well on here you can pretend to be who ever you went.

So am sorry if am being a little cautious with someone who is after information to acquire exotic animals.

17. EvilKittie

EvilKittie Well-Known Member

I have a couple more questions

1) how accessible will it be?

2) Where in cornwall is it? e.g outskirts of Newquay?

3) Nearest Town/City

4) Nearest Train Station (im sure most ppl will go by train from here)

5) What thing will your zoo make it special? Birds? Reptiles since Newquay seems to be mammals, try field away from them as much as possible.

18. foz

foz Well-Known Member

I dont think it is far to ridicule someone over the way they come across on these forums and their user name. Yours would suggest you are short but in fact you could be average in height. Because a person comes across in a way on here can not be linked with their personal life or the type of person they are. For example I often spell incorrectly on these forums, that does not make me illiterate.

People are assuming things that is unfair and for which they have no evidence for their ridicule. the open nature of these forums allow for this and if you dont beleive it to be true say it then make no more about it. People shouldd not have to prove themselves on the forums.

I would say based on reasonable assumptions that I beleive it improbable.

19. redpanda

I can see where you're coming from, but without giving him a chance how can we jump to such conclusions? I can see your fears over the trade in exotic animals, however, I would trust that all sources provided here are reputable and, therefore, fail to see how saying he was building a zoo on a forum such as this would help his chances in acquiring rare species. Still, perhaps this is me being naive. As I said, I look forward to dom1989's response.

20. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Your right, we may be jumping the gun. This person may just have not done there research but throwing nearly a million pounds into this project you would have to mad not to have done your homework or so rich you wouldn't notice it missing from your wallet. ;) (Sorry there I go again)

I also eagerly await the response.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.