Join our zoo community

Impact of war on zoos in Ukraine

Discussion in 'Ukraine' started by JurassicMax, 24 Feb 2022.

1. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

NATO will stand idly by I am afraid and Ukraine will be left outvin the cold.

3. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

I will leave the conversation at this point. This is a zoo forum and I am desperately trying to manage my anxiety and take responsibility for my mental well-being. Speculation and commentary are the last thing I need at the moment and I don’t see how it’s adding to the conversation here - or helping anyone else - so I will say goodbye.

4. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Ukraine Zoo Animals Evacuated to Poland

Ukraine zoo animals evacuated to Poland after getting surrounded by Russian tanks

Ukraine zoo animals are being evacuated from the war-torn country and are on their way to be rescued at the Polish border.

Officials from Zoo Poznań, Poland, told Newsweek today (March 1) that workers are currently waiting at the Polish border for the animals—which are from the Save Wild animal sanctuary, near the capital city Kyiv—to arrive.

On March 1, it said "a miracle happened" and they received news that the drivers had made it past the occupation line.

Full article in link…

5. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

Can I just add that my posts don’t make sense in the context of this new thread. They were originally in the Kyiv Zoo thread but were moved.

6. Fallax

Fallax Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Unsure if this is the right place but I think 'the' should be removed from the title of the thread as calling Ukraine by the name 'the Ukraine' can be considered offensive to some Ukrainians as it can suggest it is not a sovereign state. If this isn't the right place, I apologise!

Shirokuma and Jambo like this.
  7. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Great news to know evacuation is possible. My thoughts are with the keepers and staff who are doing all they can to get the animals to safety.

8. Blijdorpenaar

Blijdorpenaar Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Amid news concerning the possible capture of Kherson and new attacks on Mykolaiv, the Mykolaiv (=Nikolaev) Zoo reports that four members of their staff have gone into the military and are fighting for the defense of the city. As of present no damage to the park itself. Source: director via Facebook. No news (equals good news?) on the zoos in Kyiv and Kharkiv.

9. Zoofan15

The opportunity to evacuate animals from Kyiv Zoo has now passed; they have enough food supplies to last 10 days:

https://www.euronews.com/green/2022/03/02/blasts-bombs-and-bullets-threaten-the-animals-of-kyiv-zoo

Trantin says elephants and other vulnerable species are being given sedatives to calm them down during the shooting.

"Moreover, our keepers are staying with them overnight."

Evacuation from another zoo (reported above) included five bears. They’ve been safely evacuated and offered refuge in Poland for the duration of the war:

Despite being surrounded by Russian tanks en route, the convoy of five bears made it through the occupation line and arrived safely at their destination, prompting claims of a “miracle” from zoo workers.

10. Pootle

Pootle Well-Known Member

I agree, and actually frighteningly so, its disappointing to read, very much not with the real world.

Lets send a convoy of animal transportation vehicles to the war zones, load them up, then you can all discuss which zoos to place them in them on Zoochat....

11. Zoofan15

After several days, the convoy has safely reached Poland;

A truck carrying six lions, six tigers, two caracals and an African wild dog from a sanctuary east of Kyiv reached Poland on Thursday after a two-day drive to escape the Russian invasion, a Polish zoo official said.

Chodyla said all the animals, including tiger cubs, survived the long journey, but the zoo was worried about a 17-year-old female tiger who looked very tired.

After the animals have got some rest in Poznan, they may travel further west. A Belgian sanctuary declared it would take in the six lions and the African wild dog, Chodyla added.

Yahoo is part of the Yahoo family of brands

Modern-day Ark of animals flees to Poland from Kyiv zoo after six-day odyssey across Ukraine | Daily Mail Online

Note, the second article shows photos of a capuchin that was in the consignment. Reports of what was in the convoy (five bears were previously mentioned), seem to be a little mixed.

Aramar, steveroberts, TinoPup and 5 others like this.
  12. zooboy

zooboy Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It is possible to do something as EAZA have instigated a support fund for helping Ukrainian Zoos. See the EAZA website for details.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  13. Fresco3

Fresco3 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Daily Mail seem to be reporting six lions, four tigers, a wild dog and a capuchin now. So two less tigers and no caracals.

14. Elena

Elena Well-Known Member

Mai Thai, Jambo, steveroberts and 3 others like this.
  15. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yes, what they termed Kyiv Zoo actually is a Sanctuary. The Zoo has not been evacuated, ... I assume that is impossible right now?!

16. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

On the subject of the zoos, a member of administration I know at a zoo in Poland has posted on FB that they received confirmation that Askania Nova, the park housing nearly 600 (2019 inventory) free-ranging Saiga, was taken over by Russian troops a few days ago.

He remains confident that the soldiers have no interest in harming the antelope...

~Thylo

Last edited: 5 Mar 2022
  17. Zoofan15

Caracal rescue confirmed:

This articles shows Caracal being rescued:

Thousands of animals trapped at Kyiv Zoo in Ukraine

While another photo in their article shows four young tigers, in addition to the elderly tiger mentioned in several articles.

The Daily Mail appear to have made an (incorrect) assumption based on the photos they’ve seen, with the consignment consisting of:

6 lions
    6 tigers
    2 caracal
    1 wild dog
    1 capuchin

Mai Thai, Fresco3, Antoine and 2 others like this.
  18. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

So , after seeing that Russian army is slower than expected, I think it is time to evacuate all zoos from western part of Ukraine that are still not under siege. Ukrainian army still keeps some escape roads and logistics there towards Poland, Slovakia, Hungary and Romania. However Moldavia will be next in war so it makes no sense to place evauated animals there. I understand that local zoos want to keep normalcy as long as possible to help with the fighting spirit and because they simply have no means (transport boxes, trucks etc). However, today Russian state media accused Ukraine of development of "dirty" atom bomb. They prepaire Russian people for politics of total scorched land in Ukraine, even outside main cities. It is time to save what is left.

European zoos should make an inventory of free spaces they can offer for evacuated animals and contact their UKR counterparts. Or even better would be if some Polish zoo would serve as a clearing centre, collecting all offers of help with animals and keepers in need and helping with organizing it all. Problem is weather forecats - it should come cold front in Ukraine next week.

Kyiv zoo is probably beyond saving. But others still have a chance.

CMP, Arek, zoomaniac and 5 others like this.
  19. Blijdorpenaar

Blijdorpenaar Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Humanitarian aid is slowly arriving in Ukraine, but zoo animals have been left to fend for themselves. The zoos in Kyiv, Charkiv and Mylolajiv have been bombed and shelled, their inhabitants are suffering. Innocent, afraid, forgotten: this is not their conflict. The least we can do is see them through these harsh times.

The EAZA has started an official fundraiser. They have the right means and expertise to ensure that aid can be used as effectively as possible. All proceeds go to Ukrainian zoos in need!

Together we can make a difference!
    Emergency appeal for Ukrainian zoos » EAZA

[​IMG]

Bengal Tiger and Mo Hassan like this.
  20. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

There can be no care for the animals without care for the care-givers. The EAZA page is clear about providing "relief funds for our colleagues in Ukrainian zoos". Do not let your love of animals blind you to the brave and dedicated people who put their lives at risk on behalf of the animals