Join our zoo community

Impact of war on zoos in Ukraine

Discussion in 'Ukraine' started by JurassicMax, 24 Feb 2022.

1. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

While I absolutely agree and hope that this does happen at least to some extent, I think here is where we must be realistic once again. While I hope the EAZA efforts to support Ukrainian zoos and their caregivers and I hope that leads to an evacuations or people and animals alike, I think right now any service roads still under the control of the Ukrainian army are going to be solely prioritized for the evacuation of civilians. I think the most realistic thing we can hope for right now is that, once occupied, Russian troops refrain from harming the zoo's or their animals anymore than they already have and will during invasion. Then it's a waiting game for resolution or further fighting...

~Thylo

Blijdorpenaar likes this.
  2. Lafone

Lafone Well-Known Member

I’d suggest the people of Ukraine also didn’t want this war and it is not theirs.

The tone of your post is actually rather offensive tbh.

People are dying in Ukraine and while it is good to raise money for animals you should probably think carefully about your choice of language.

3. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Wrong assumption. There will be no animals alive after Russians troops take the zoos. Locals fight hard and refuse to give up. So Russian troops decide to simply level down the towns and villages, starting often with the historical churches and all infrastructure. Even if some animals survive by miracle the fights, there will be no water, food, heating, electricity or vet medicaments for animals for very long time. Google Grozny or Aleppo to see results of Russian army when locals refuse to give up. Ukrainians are already evacuating museum collections etc towards west. But you can´t evacuate exotic animals if you dont have place to put them.

TriUK, Kifaru Bwana and Jambo like this.
  4. Blijdorpenaar

Blijdorpenaar Well-Known Member 5+ year member

No disrespect meant with this post! I apologise if it appears that way. Of course I'm well aware of the human side of needless suffering and brave sacrifice in this conflict. I've been monitoring liveuamap since 2014. I'm merely trying to call to action. I know there might be zoo lovers on this forum who might be willing and financially able to contribute, every penny people are willing to give to reduce damage to the zoos is invaluable right now. Please note that this an official EAZA fundraiser, not something I came up with myself.

Last edited: 6 Mar 2022
    Lafone likes this.
  5. ThylacineAlive

Not an assumption, I think you're most likely correct, which is why troops leaving animals alone is the most realistic thing we can hope for as opposed to an evacuation. But as I reported earlier, there is apparently word that the Russians have no interest in slaughtering the animals at Askania Nova. Who knows if this will hold true or if it even is true, but the best we can do it simply hope and provide aid where we can.

~Thylo

6. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Russian army changed tactics to blocking cities, destroying water, electricity and other supplies, and bombing civilian infrastructure to force people to surrender. Given that, most zoo animals are likely to die soon.

This is how the freshly renovated Kharkov zoo looked like in 2021. Now the city is being surrounded and shelled by Russian army:

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  7. Arek

Arek Well-Known Member 10+ year member

According to the management of the Feldman Ecopark in Kharkiv in eastern Ukraine, two people were killed while trying to feed animals left in the zoo. “They died under fire from mortars and machine guns,” said zoo's owner. Ekopark is a private zoo located in the outskirts of Kharkiv, don't be mistaken with municipal Kharkiv Zoo mentioned above.

Blijdorpenaar and Jambo like this.
  8. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Now I may sound like an ignoramus saying this but even if the animals survive bombs, bullets, and limited resources they could still be killed for the possible reasons:

1) The animals are eating food that could be used to feed the soldiers and civilians.

2) The animals get killed to serve as a source of food.

3) There could be superstition over escaped animals being a threat to the public or the army so the governing force could pull whatever the Japanese empire did during WWII and destroy any animal deemed dangerous.

Zoofan15 and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  9. ThylacineAlive

I'd say these are all very possible outcomes should anything survive.

My biggest concern (animal wise) is that Saiga herd.

~Thylo

10. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

11. Blijdorpenaar

Blijdorpenaar Well-Known Member 5+ year member

EAZA statement:

Our three Ukrainian Candidates for Membership (CfM) are updating us daily, and we are also receiving reports from other zoos in contact with our Members.
    Currently, the CfM have no plans to evacuate their animals due to the extreme danger to people and animals of crating, loading and transporting animals across these active conflict zones.
    As a result, we are for the moment concentrating our efforts on providing whatever assistance we can to the staff of the zoos with a view to the continued care of animals on site. This also applies to other facilities in Ukraine. When other measures (including evacuation) become possible, we will support them as appropriate.
    To this end, we are doing preparatory work: assessing the capacities and capabilities of our network for the temporary housing and veterinary care of animals.
    We have also joined a working group established by the European Alliance of Rescue Centres and Sanctuaries (EARS) on the coordination of efforts to remove non-domestic animals from facilities across the country.
    the EAZA Members in countries bordering Ukraine who have been doing great work to help their neighbors, as well as everyone for their extraordinary generosity in raising funds to support them.

Funds raised will be used to assist Ukrainian zoos to continue to provide food and care to animals in conditions of relative welfare and safety, as well as providing support for care staff and management at the zoos. We have direct contact with Myikolayiv Zoo, Kharkiv Zoo and Kyiv Zoo, and indirect contact with other zoos via the Ukrainian Zoo Association and the contacts of our Members. Funds will be allocated on the basis of need according to the requests we receive from zoos, and will be distributed to recipients through channels subject to reasonable due diligence. A full report on the fund and its use of donations to support Ukrainian zoos will be issued in due course.

Arek, CMP, Platypusboy and 3 others like this.
  12. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The renovated zoo looks well laid out and nicely designed. I just shudder to think what will happen when next we might have footage from Kharkiv Zoo. The Russian army is bombing indiscrimately like they have done in Grozny, Chechenia in and around Kharkiv and other cities across Ukraine. It is gross beyond relief. @Jana is right to draw comparisons with Chechenia and how the Russian army obliterated and carpet bombed the City. Remain under no illusions what they are capable of inflicting upon Ukrainia.

13. PossumRoach

Lafone likes this.
  14. Lafone

Lafone Well-Known Member

I’m not enthused by those sort of animals being kept as pets tbh but what very thoughtful owners they must have been and how nice for the zoo to take her in.

In a truly hideous time when it’s hard to get your head around the suffering, any small positive is a good thing.

15. deathmetalfan6

deathmetalfan6 Member

Here is a link for donations for the 12 months zoo just outside of Kyiv, I am not affiliated with the zoo in any way but since I follow them on social media I felt that it would be appropriate for me to post the link to the donations page of their website here as to possibly generate some extra funds for food and such. From my understanding this zoo was built in 2015 and it would be a great shame to see a zoo this young go under because of the horrible events going on in ukraine.
    Мешканцi Парку ХII Мiсяцiв термiново потребують вашої допомоги!

Lafone likes this.
  16. PossumRoach

JAZA zoos are raising funds to assist EAZA’s aid.

ThylacineAlive and birdsandbats like this.
  17. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The zoo animals rescued (see previous posts) have arrived in Spain and Belgium:

Yahoo is part of the Yahoo family of brands

Four of the lions and the wild dog were taken in on Wednesday by a rescue centre in Alicante in eastern Spain run by Dutch animal welfare charity AAP, the group said in a statement.

Two other lions named Tsar and Jamil were taken in on Wednesday by the Natuurhulpcentrum shelter in the province of Limburg in eastern Belgium, the group said on Facebook.

The remaining animals -- the six tigers and two wild cats -- have so far remained at the zoo in Poznan in western Poland.

18. Arek

Arek Well-Known Member 10+ year member

On sunday another zookeeper was killed in Ecopark while feeding the animals. Many animals were taken and placed in private homes and flats. Zoo area is still under attack by Russian troops.

Blijdorpenaar and ThylacineAlive like this.
  19. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Odesa Zoo has just been mentioned in 'The World Tonight' (Radio 4 - Listen Live - BBC Sounds). Keepers have said that they are staying to look after the animals.

Odesa Zoo is one of 2 ZTL zoos with Kotschy's gecko, one of 4 with Bosca's newt and one of 5 with Montagu's harrier.

Lafone likes this.
  20. Lafone

Lafone Well-Known Member

Odesa zoo also mentioned in this BBC article today talking about how they are preparing for possible attack and caring for the animals.

Ukraine: Elegant Odesa is transformed by efforts to deter Russians