Join our zoo community

San Diego Zoo Safari Park Improving people flow in the park

Discussion in 'United States' started by The_UltimateBea, 3 Jan 2018.

Tags:
  1. The_UltimateBea

The_UltimateBea Well-Known Member

One if the biggest problems at the Safari Park is the Tiger Trail/Condor Ridge area being so far away from everything else by virtue of its one connecting pathway. Couls a bridge to elephant valley solve this? Is it in any way feasible?

2. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Not sure if you are old enough to remember but there used to be a path from the old tiger (just below current tiger) to the African village area (where the current Lion Camp is). It included a fun suspension bridge (if you bounced on it in the middle, the bridge would give kind of a wild ride). The bottom of the new tiger area has a barrier saying future expansion and I image plans are to reinstate this path (which I think was destroyed by heavy rains a while back). We are all hoping this will include viewing of the old tiger exhibit that now houses dholes that are not visible to public.

3. Shellheart

Shellheart Well-Known Member 10+ year member

That bridge was rather fun, wasn't it? But yes, I'm in full agreement that the modern Safari Park is a bit of a problem. I'm not a fan of back-tracking whatsoever, and right now, the only way to see Condor Ridge is to do some pretty extreme back-tracking. Let's hope that when they open the Asian Plains up, they'll also connect Tiger Trail to Lion Camp, or at least that general area.

StoppableSan likes this.
  4. Otter Lord

Otter Lord Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think connecting the top and bottom is something that they're aware of and probably planning to do. Especially if everyone on this forum thinks they need to do it. They have plenty of space out there and they're still finding ways to make their current footprint more dense. (Ex: tiger trail was built over existing trails, so is Australian walkabout.) I am glad that they're not expanding too rapidly and building new exhibits where there is already existing trails instead of building new exhibits that are far away for the visitor.

StoppableSan likes this.