Join our zoo community

Paignton Zoo In poor taste?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Gigit, 29 Sep 2010.

Tags:
  1. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

2. chizlit

chizlit Well-Known Member

This also annoys me and I'm sorry if this offends anyone, but why is it big and clever to want to eat these beautiful animals?
    I also don't get hunting or the fur trade but that's another matter.

3. Paix

Paix Well-Known Member

Well, you could direct the very same comment towards a cow, lamb, pig or chicken. These are beautiful animals too.

4. chizlit

And indeed I do as I don't eat red meat, but I don't think that is the point being raised here.

5. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Oh no, the vegetarians are upset by a butcher selling meat!

None of the listed animals are endangered. Two of them in fact are as domesticated as cows or sheep, another is widely farmed, and a fourth less-widely farmed. Most of the others are species held on hunting ranches in Africa.

I'm not sure what the location "just 5 minutes' drive from Paignton zoo" has to do with anything.

6. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

All these animals are eaten by other animals.

It's been happening since the dawn of time.

Nothing new - nothing to worry about.

7. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

More "being over-sensitive/reactive" than "in bad taste" in my opinion.

None of them are endangered. Provided they're killed humanely and their farming/harvesting is sustainable I don't have a problem. In fact selling their meat could ensure the species long-term survival.

The fact it's near the zoo is not really relevant unless you're suggesting people think they're selling ex-zoo animals (though that might be a selling point given how popular farm-shops are nowadays:D).

8. chizlit

I'm not here to argue with anyone, you have your points of view, and I have mine, but if I'm going to a zoo to look at say a bison, I then don't want to go home and eat one.

I'd assume all animals start out as not endangered, but we can all see how quickly that can change.

9. RowanGreen

RowanGreen Well-Known Member

Some of that list have been kept as meat animals for thousands of years.

All have been sources of meat for for probably much longer.

I personally have eaten some off that list. If I do it's because I'm curious about how the meat tastes, not because I want to add a tick to a list. I'm sure curiosity is a factor in the current trend, but another big factor is simply that many of the meats taste good and are leaner, and therefore healthier than more traditional meats.

In some cases they may be better enviromentally as well. For example for years Australians have been fighting to win land from the kangaroos for their sheep herds. Thankfully many are now beginning to realise that it might be better to farm the kangaroos!

I notice you've used 'bushmeat' as a tag: this is not the same. These animals are generally going to be legitimately farmed, many of them within the UK, and with high welfare standards. That being the case, I think the concerns should be exactly the same as those for cows, sheep etc: is it being properly cared for?

Bushmeat is basically anything that can be shot in the bush, including apes and endangered species in the wild. If you have any suspicions of that contact the police: it is ilegal in the UK. Bushmeat is occasionally seized around where I live: it's likely to be dried/pretty disgusting due to how long it takes to get smuggled over here. It's eaten as traditional food by some ethnic groups: I don't think most would want to touch it to satisfy curiosity! I don't know if I've actually seen bushmeat, but I have seen pretty disgusting dried meat and half rotten meat in some of the markets where I know it's rumoured to be found, and I wouldn't want to eat it if I was paid to! (Besides being ethically unaceptable to me)

10. RowanGreen

RowanGreen Well-Known Member

I've actually had that sort of experience on a one-week agricultural course I went on as a teenager. One morning it was my turn to get up early to go help feed the pigs. Then of course it was some of the centre's own bacon for breakfast... Yes I did eat it, and it was absolutely delicious!

I was actually vegetarian for quite a few years. I'm still very concerned that welfare of farmed animals is a priority.

11. Javan Rhino

Javan Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I certainly don't think it's in bad taste. The location is irrelevant really, and it plainly states that it is shot for conservation reasons.

Eating a Kudu is no different to eating a cow, so it is not bad taste just because you think eating meat is wrong (which it isn't). I respect your decision entirely, but eating meat is only natural and it is healthy.

12. Steve Robinson

13. Steve Robinson

You know, that may one day happen!

14. Paix

Paix Well-Known Member

Exactly the point I was trying to get across!

Also found out that these guys do delivery! :p :cool:

15. Javan Rhino

Hehe, might be a long delivery time all the way from Paignton ;p.

I think I'll have the Buffalo Rump Steak with chips, but can I have it without salad :D (the typical me at a meal, a slab of medium rare steak and some chips. My girlfriend reckons I'll only eat something if it lived on land and drew breath)

16. Steve Robinson

So Gigit is actually the advertising agent for this business?;)

17. Javan Rhino

Well, I certainly wouldn't have known about it if he hadn't pointed it out ;p

18. Goretex

Goretex Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Ah well, man kind is an omnivore he only naturally consumes meat. I'm in no way for this but I don't think this really needs a big deal.

Infact now we're at it lets close all the fast food outlets out of this world. I personally feel these are of bad taste killing off animals so they can be turned over into something unhealthy? They deserve no money!!

BTW I couldn't resist putting that in, really want to get a responcce.;)

19. Javan Rhino

But it tastes nice ;p. I'd rather live 50 years on foods I like than 90 years on bland, horrid salads and stuff.
    There is a responce ;p

20. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

No ones said it yet so I will. This is in VERY good taste :D