Join our zoo community

In search of rare cat species

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by tigergem, 20 Apr 2019.

1. tigergem

tigergem New Member

I am trying to get to see every species of cat, I have seen all the ones in the UK and hope to travel to see the Spanish lynx this year, but if anyone has any names of collections which hold some of the rarer cats
    I'm trying to find:
    Sunda clouded leopard
    Marbled cat
    Bay cat
    Flat-headed cat
    African golden cat
    Black-footed cat
    Andean mountain cat
    Pampas cat
    Kodkod

2. Hipporex

Hipporex Well-Known Member 5+ year member

First of all welcome to our cult as I see that you're new. Secondly, someone better versed in cats in captivity may have to correct me on this but I'm like 99% sure that no where in the world is the Andean mountain cat held in captivity. Best of luck to you though.

3. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Sunda Clouded Leopard at Taman Safari 2 Prigen and at Taman Safari Bogor (both on Java).

Marbled Cat at Taiping Zoo (Malaysia - eastern form) and at possibly still at Srimangol Zoo (Bangladesh - western form).

Bay Cat nowhere.

Flat-headed Cat at Chiang Mai Zoo and Khao Kheow Open Zoo (both Thailand).

African Golden Cat - there was one in a rescue centre in Gabon (not sure if it is still alive), otherwise nowhere public.

Black-footed Cat at various American zoos.

Andean Mountain Cat nowhere.

Colocolo and Kodkod at Santiago Zoo (Chile).

4. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Black footed cat can be seen notably at the Cincinnati zoo.

5. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Andean mountain cats are rarely even spotted in the wild, I follow the main groups researching them on Facebook and any time they get a trail cam photo of one, it's a huge deal.

Neva likes this.
  6. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I only know of one being held in captivity, and that was on a temporary basis. One ZooChatter did travel to see it though.......

7. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

He even got a "lucky bastard award" for that!

8. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

A Lifetime Achievement one ;)

9. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I am a fellow cat fanatic with a similar goal to yours, though I have realized it is not practical to finish off my photo list which is similar to yours (though I have black-footed cat from a few places in USA and I have melanistic pampas cat from years ago at Cincinnati Zoo). @Chlidonias provides an excellent list. I will post my list but most of it duplicates his. I will go in order from most common to least.

Also if you have not been to Le Parc Des Felins in France you need to go. It is unbelievable and my favorite zoo.

Black-Footed Cat. There are several in USA zoos, including San Diego Safari Park, Fresno Chaffee Zoo (though Asia construction may have removed them), Utah Hogle Zoo, Riverbanks Zoo, etc.

Pampas Cat. Bioparque M'Bopicua (Uruguay), Sao Paolo Zoo (Brazil), and off exhibit at Santiago Zoo and Buin Zoo (Chile).

Flat-Headed Cat. Khao Kheow Open Zoo and Chiang Mai Zoo (Thailand).

Kodkod (aka guigna). Off exhibit at Santiago Zoo and Buin Zoo and a private collection (Chile).

Marbled Cat. Taiping Zoo Night Safari (Malaysia), Sitesh Babu Zoo (Bangladesh), and off exhibit at Al Bustan Zoological Centre (UAE). See this thread: Marbled Cats in Zoos

Sunda Clouded Leopard. Formerly at Lok Kawi Wildlife Park (Malaysia, but likely now died), Taman Safari Bogor (and also Prigen according to Chlidonias) (Indonesia).

African Golden Cat. Private rescue center (Gabon). A former ZooChatter who worked in the zoo industry once stated there were a pair held privately in South Africa but he was unwilling to give any details.

Bornean Bay Cat. None currently, but one was recently exhibited for a brief period (before it died) at Taman Safari Bogor (Indonesia).

Andean Cat. None currently (or ever as far as I know), but a rescued cat was held briefly off exhibit for rehabilitation at Vesty Pakos Zoo (Bolivia). See this photo in the gallery: Andean cat! March 2016 - ZooChat

Neva and TinoPup like this.
  10. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I don't believe that Buin has Kodkod (or probably Colocolo) - the rescue animals they had were released after recovery.

Arizona Docent likes this.
  11. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That is one darn cute cat, thanks for linking it!

Arizona Docent likes this.
  12. Neva

Neva Well-Known Member

@Arizona Docent, when San Diego Zoo Safari Park has started breeding Black-footed cats? Do you know SDZ Safari Park and Fresno Chaffe Zoo are the only ones in California which held this species?
    I'm very interested in that thread too :p. I hope one day they will come back to Europe but it's only dreaming fantasy...

13. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Ironically someone just posted today that San Diego Safari Park had their first black-footed kitten birth. They have also just started a sand cat breeding program (no births yet), but those are held off exhibit. The Living Desert (Palm Desert, California) also has black-footed cats off exhibit. They used to be on exhibit in small outdated enclosures (along with sand cat) that were recently demolished. One of these two species (or maybe both) will probably be on exhibit in the future when the new lion and hyena exhibits near the entrance are built (next two years).

JVM, ThylacineAlive and Neva like this.
  14. Neva

Neva Well-Known Member

@Arizona Docent, thank you very much :) I thought that I saw something black-footed-cat-related around the topic of The Living Desert but it was some time ago...
    Yes, I saw this news also! I have even begun to searching flights :p.

I also researched a little about pampas/pantanal cat at Bioparque M'Bopicua - I found that a breeding pair passed away. However I also read that there were a second generation of this species.
    So - maybe somebody knows how this situation looks like now there?

15. Darwin Lopez

Darwin Lopez Member

Guys, you can find two female Colocolos at the "Zoologico Municipal" in Santiago, Chile. I visited it last month. There are no Kodkods there or at Buin Zoo. Colocolo1.jpg Colocolo2.jpg Colocolo3.jpg

Neva, Antoine, amur leopard and 10 others like this.
  16. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

A rescue centre in the DRC currently holds a young African golden cat, and a private Ugandan facility holds at least a pair. I believe the animal in Gabon's Parc Assango is still going strong.

17. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I saw Colocolo at Las Leyendas in Lima in 2015. I believe the zoo had multiple at the time, but seems to not be mentioned in threads about cats since. Perhaps they have gone from the collection?

18. Darwin Lopez

Darwin Lopez Member

I saw this pair there back in Sep.2017. No idea if they are still there.

Attached Files:

19. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

That is an absolutely beautiful cat!

To add to the thread, are there any captive populations of Chinese Mountain Cat or Iriomote Cat around?

~Thylo

evilmonkey239 likes this.
  20. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Xining have Chinese Mountain Cat before, but I believe none now.