Join our zoo community

Index of historical articles/issues of International Zoo News - curated by TLD

Discussion in 'Zoo Memorabilia' started by TeaLovingDave, 18 Jan 2023.

1. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

As my guidebook project throughout 2022 will have made clear, one of my long-standing interests is the preservation of historical information pertaining to zoological collections, and making this information accessible to a wider audience. As such, having made steps in this direction over the course of the last year, I have decided to make use of another noteworthy aspect of my personal collection of zoological documents, and in doing so provide a long-term resource for those interested in zoological history.

The International Zoo News was published between 1951 and 2016, and comprised a valuable source of information on a vast range of subjects relating to zoological collections; research articles, reviews of zoological collections and literature, opinion pieces and letters, news, annual reports and stocklists to name but a few. The following, written in 2001 by the then-editor Nicolas Gould and published within the 306th edition to mark the 50th anniversary of the IZN, provides a better summary than I can:

Ultimately, the waning health of the final editor - the aforementioned Richard Perron - and the fact that the journal was making a significant financial loss led to the IZN ceasing production as an independent publication at the end of 2016; fortunately, something of the "spirit" of the original publication has been preserved by the IZES, which has incorporated the IZN into its quarterly Zoo Grapevine magazine. However, the original IZN website (which contained a fairly lengthy archive of back issues and articles extending into the mid-1990s with a small smattering of earlier content) went offline shortly afterwards, with the result that a massive quantity of valuable information was no longer accessible to a general audience.

This is where I come in.

Over the years that followed, I obtained several copies of the International Zoo News and added them to my personal collection of zoological documents, but the loss of the digital archive continued to prey on my mind somewhat; I hoped that some of this content may have been preserved on the Internet Archive, but suspected that a thorough search would require significantly more time than I had to hand. Then COVID-19 hit, and I suddenly had a *lot* of free time! Unfortunately, several of the back-editions uploaded to the old IZN site had not been archived, and others (primarily those which were uploaded as direct hyperlinks to articles rather than PDF documents reproducing the entire edition in a single file) were only partially recovered by myself, but nonetheless I managed to locate and download over a hundred back editions. More recently, I have been able to locate a significant number of further physical copies of the IZN, representing hard copies of some I had downloaded, others which filled gaps caused by incomplete preservation on the Internet Archive, and several which had never been uploaded to the IZN website.

And now I get to the point; within this thread I intend to produce a full index of all editions of the IZN which are located within my personal collection - whether physical or digital - and the articles therein. Once this resource has been created, I will happily share any articles/reviews/information which may interest those reading this thread - either through posting scans/documents within this thread as attachments, or by sending them directly to the individuals concerned. It goes without saying that the index will be formatted to allow expansion and additions - whether this is because I have obtained further back-issues, or because other individuals reading this thread already own editions which I lack and are willing to provide information relating to their contents. I certainly hope that the latter comes to pass, especially given the fact that I know several active forum members contributed to the journal, or were subscribers.

I shall start posting the index within the coming day or two :)

Kalaw, ZSH, devilfish and 12 others like this.
  2. TeaLovingDave

The IZN was numbered in a specific format, which applied to all but the very earliest editions released in 1951 and 1952 and will be used throughout this index; a volume number corresponding to the year of publication, an issue number within the volume, and an edition number pertaining to the entire run of IZN subsequent to its 1954 relaunch. Due to the variable number of editions published each year, in those cases where I lack any physical or digital copies of a given edition, I may not know which volume/issue it may have been with a handful of exceptions.

To prevent the index being front-loaded with a vast number of blank posts and entries, it will only list those editions which I currently have in my possession (and those whose correct placement I can deduce), with other volumes/editions being added retrospectively when I obtain them or, hopefully, other members of the forum contact me with the relevant information, and placeholder posts showing the rough outline of what is missing.

INDEX CONTENTS:
    1951-1952: no volume numbers, unknown number of issues, currently not represented within this thread
    ---
    1954-1964: VOLUME 1 to VOLUME 11 - unknown number of issues, currently not represented within this thread
    : VOLUME 12 - unknown number of issues, two represented within this thread
    1966: VOLUME 13 - unknown number of issues, two represented within this thread
    1967: VOLUME 14 - unknown number of issues, currently not represented within this thread.
    1968:
    VOLUME 15 - unknown number of issues, two represented within this thread.
    1969-1971: VOLUME 16 to VOLUME 18 - unknown number of issues, currently not represented within this thread
    1972: VOLUME 19 - seven issues, one represented within this thread.
    1973: VOLUME 20 - seven issues, two represented within this thread.
    1974: VOLUME 21 - seven or eight issues, five represented within this thread
    1975:
    VOLUME 22 - seven or eight issues, four represented within this thread.
    1976: VOLUME 23 - eight issues, six represented within this thread.
    1977: VOLUME 24 - eight issues, two represented within this thread.
    1978: VOLUME 25 - eight issues, all represented within this thread.
    1979: VOLUME 26 - seven issues, all represented within this thread
    1980: VOLUME 27 - six issues, five represented within this thread
    1981: VOLUME 28 - five issues, all represented within this thread
    1982: VOLUME 29 - two issues, both represented within this thread
    1983: VOLUME 30: six issues, all represented within this thread.
    1984: VOLUME 31: six issues, five represented within this thread
    1985: VOLUME 32: six issues, all represented within this thread
    1986: VOLUME 33: five issues, four represented within this thread
    1987:
    VOLUME 34: six issues, five represented within this thread
    1988: VOLUME 35 - six issues, all represented within this thread
    1989: VOLUME 36: six issues, four represented within this thread
    1990: VOLUME 37: eight issues, all represented within this thread
    1991: VOLUME 38: eight issues, seven represented within this thread
    1992: VOLUME 39: eight issues, all represented within this thread
    1993: VOLUME 40: eight issues, all represented within this thread
    1994: VOLUME 41: eight issues, all represented within this thread
    1995: VOLUME 42: eight issues, all represented within this thread
    1996: VOLUME 43: eight issues, all represented within this thread
    1997: VOLUME 44: eight issues, all represented within this thread
    1998: VOLUME 45: eight issues, all represented within this thread
    1999: VOLUME 46: eight issues, all represented within this thread
    : VOLUME 47: eight issues, all represented within this thread
    2001: VOLUME 48: eight issues, all represented within this thread
    : VOLUME 49: eight issues, all represented within this thread
    2003: VOLUME 50: eight issues, all represented within this thread
    2004: VOLUME 51: eight issues, all represented within this thread
    2005: VOLUME 52: eight issues, all represented within this thread
    2006: VOLUME 53: eight issues, all represented within this thread
    2007: VOLUME 54: eight issues, all represented within this thread
    2008: VOLUME 55: eight issues, all represented within this thread
    2009: VOLUME 56: eight issues, all represented within this thread
    2010: VOLUME 57: eight issues, all represented within this thread
    2011: VOLUME 58: six issues, all represented within this thread
    2012: VOLUME 59: six issues, all represented within this thread
    2013: VOLUME 60: six issues, all represented within this thread
    2014: VOLUME 61: six issues, all represented within this thread
    2015: VOLUME 62: six issues, all represented within this thread
    2016: VOLUME 63: six issues, all represented within this thread

Last edited: 2 Apr 2024
  3. TeaLovingDave

1951 - 1952

These early editions were published by Bent Jørgensen (founder of the IZN and latterly the director of Copenhagen Zoo between 1979 and 1994) as a student; I do not know how many editions were published within the two years he served as editor of the IZN. However, I do know that the volume numbering for the IZN only started when his successor as editor, the Dutch zoo enthusiast Gerard van Dam, took over in 1954 (no issues were printed in the preceding year).

No issues from this period are located within my personal collection.

TinoPup likes this.
  4. TeaLovingDave

1954-1964: VOLUME 1 to VOLUME 11

No issues from this period are located within my personal collection.

TinoPup likes this.
  5. TeaLovingDave

1965: VOLUME 12

Two issues from this volume are located within my personal collection; I am unsure how many issues were published in total, but suspect five may be the correct figure.

Volume 12 Issue 4 - Edition number unknown - October 1965 - physical copy

• 2 Gorillas Born (Clyde A. Hill and Prof. Dr. Bernhard Grzimek) - a pair of short news items combined due to the shared subject matter, pertaining to recent captive-breeding records at San Diego Zoo in the USA and Zoo Frankfurt in Germany; the latter representing the first such record for the country.
    • United States Law Prohibits Importation Of Orang Utans (Clyde A. Hill) - short news article discussing new legislation aimed at preventing the continuing import of orangutan into the United States.
    • Exchange & Mart Of Zoo Animals - a list of various surplus stock, and requests for further stock, placed by the following zoological collections; Assiniboine Park Zoo in Canada, Southampton Zoological Gardens in the UK, Zoo Praha in Czechoslovakia, Prince of Wales Zoological Gardens in India, and Eilat Zoo in Israel.
    • Remarkable Births and Hatches at the West Berlin Zoo (Dr Heinz-Georg Klös) - a short article discussing noteworthy captive breedings at Zoo Berlin in Germany over the course of 1965.
    • Belle Vue Zoo: Unusual Happenings (R. E. Legge) - article discussing the recent nesting, mating and egg-laying observed within the American Alligators held at Belle Vue Zoo in the United Kingdom, potentially the first such record for the species within a European captive collection.
    • The Zoos In 1964 (Part II) - a list of noteworthy zoological collections found worldwide, noting their current director, annual attendance and a summary of total animals held (divided by taxonomic group) at the end of December 1964.
    • International Zoo News - shorter news reports from around 36 zoological collections worldwide.

Further short news reports from these and other zoological collections are interspersed throughout the issue, between the articles cited above, along with advertisement material.

Volume 12 Issue 5 - Edition number unknown - December 1965 - physical copy

• African Elephant Born (Marcel Langer) - a short news item noting the captive birth of an African Elephant calf at Opel-Zoo in Germany, believed to be the first such breeding to survive beyond 30 days worldwide.
    • Zoo-Union's 20th Meeting (Dr Heinz-Georg Klös) - a short report on the 20th Annual Conference of the International Union of Directors of Zoological Gardens, held at Zoo Berlin and attended by delegates from a total of 28 zoological collections.
    • 100th Anniversary of the Wroclaw Zoo (Karol Lukaszewicz) a short article submitted by the director of Zoo Wroclaw in Poland discussing the key events across the first hundred years of the zoo's existence.
    • Building A New Zoo In Canada - a short item submitted by the Upper Canada Zoological Society at discussing plans to construct and develop a new zoological collection at Wasaga Beach, Ontario.
    • Breeding Results from the "Biological Station Wilhelminenerg" at Vienna, Austria (Dr Kurt Kolar) - article discussing noteworthy breeding successes observed over the past ten years at the Wilhelminberg Biological Station, established to study the ethology of juvenile vertebrates.
    • International Zoo News - shorter news reports from around 36 zoological collections worldwide.
    Further short news reports from these and other zoological collections are interspersed throughout the issue, between the articles cited above, along with advertisement material

Last edited: 4 Apr 2024
  6. TeaLovingDave

1966: VOLUME 13

I currently only own two issues from this volume, and do not know how many issues in total were published in 1966 - although I suspect five may be the correct figure.

Volume 13 Issue 1 - Edition number unknown - February 1966 - physical copy

IMG_20230120_065540067.jpg

• Splash Goes 720,000 - and all for the World Wildlife Fund (Gerard van Dam): an article/editorial discussing a scheme launched by the IZN, with assistance from Gerald Iles, encouraging zoological collections to install wishing wells within their grounds for visitors to donate small change to the World Wildlife Fund.
    • Hand Raising Of Large Felines (Robert and Charlotte Baudy): an article discussing the Animal Training Center & Rare Feline Breeding Compound located in Center Hill, Florida, USA, and written by the owners. Notes are provided relating to their observations on the differing husbandry requirements for animals derived from Siberia, Korea and Bengal, and their correspondence with Leipzig Zoo.
    • News From Lisbon Zoo - Portugal (Pierre Brouard): a summary of recent births, deaths, arrivals and departures at the zoo.
    • News From "Tertre Rouge" Zoo (J. Bouillault): a summary of recent construction projects and breeding attempts at Zoo de la Flèche, France.
    • Exchange & Mart Of Zoo Animals: a list of various surplus stock, and requests for further stock, placed by various zoological collections around the world.
    • Ring-tailed Lizard Hatched and Reared in the Budapest Zoo - Hungary (Ilma Bogsch): a short account of recent breeding success with Cordylus cordylus at the zoo.
    • Binturong Born In The Honolulu Zoo - Hawai (Jack L. Throp) - a short account of recent breeding success with Binturong, including observations on captive requirements and early development of the cub.
    • International Zoo News: smaller news reports from around 22 zoological collections.

Further short news reports from these and other zoological collections are interspersed throughout the issue, between the articles cited above, along with advertisement material.

Volume 13 Issue 4 - Edition number unknown - October 1966 - physical copy

• A Note On The Breeding Of Siberian Tigers (Dr A. C. V. van Bemmel) - article submitted by the director of Dieregaarde Blijdorp in the Netherlands, discussing the history of successful captive breeding of tiger subspecies at the collection, with particular focus on the breeding of Siberian Tiger and notes on the husbandry, diet and exhibit design used at Blijdorp.
    • New Home for Great Apes (Dr R. Faust) - article discussing the extension of the existing facilities for great apes at Zoo Frankfurt in Germany, with focus on exhibit design and dimensions, and the general format and design of the visitor facilities within the house in question.
    • The Function and Aims of the Jogjakarta Zoo (Dr Hugo H. Osman) - a short item on the aims and objectives of the Indonesian zoological collection in question.
    • Exchange & Mart Of Zoo Animals: - a list of various surplus stock, and requests for further stock, placed by Natal Zoological Gardens in South Africa, and Dacca Zoological Gardens in Bangladesh.
    • International Zoo News - smaller news reports from around 40 zoological collections.

Last edited: 5 Apr 2024
  7. TeaLovingDave

1967: VOLUME 14

No issues from this volume are located within my personal collection.

TinoPup likes this.
  8. TeaLovingDave

1968: VOLUME 15

I currently own two issues from this volume; I suspect five may have been published in total.

Volume 15 Issue 2 - Edition number unknown - May 1968 - physical copy

• Duisburg Zoo: Interesting New-Comers (Dr Wolfgang Gewalt) - a short article providing a general update on noteworthy acquisitions, births and hatchings at Zoo Duisburg in Germany between December 1967 and April 1968.
    • Breeding and Rearing of Black Ibises (R. Faust and Ch. Schnerper) - a short article discussing the recent successful breeding and rearing of Pseudibis papillosa at Zoo Frankfurt in Germany, with information provided on behaviour, exhibit design and husbandry.
    • Exchange & Mart Of Zoo Animals - a list of various surplus stock, and requests for further stock, placed by the following zoological collections; Jersey Wildlife Preservation Trust in the Channel Islands, Ellen Trout Park Zoo and G. V. Gress Zoo in the USA, Parc Zoologique de Branfere in France, and Tel Aviv Zoological Gardens in Israel.
    • Breeding Successes in the Charles Clore Pavillion - article discussing a number of notable breeding successes within the Clore Pavillion at London Zoo in the UK, including a first UK captive breeding of Angwantibo.
    • What's New In The San Diego Zoo? (James M. Dolan) - article providing a list of recent births, hatchings and acquisitions at San Diego Zoo from January 1968 onwards.
    • International Zoo News - smaller news reports from around 33 zoological collections.

Volume 15 Issue 5 - Edition number unknown - December 1968 - physical copy

• World Zoos Support World Wildlife Fund (Gerard van Dam) - editorial proposing a scheme by which zoological collections worldwide could support the World Wildlife Fund via donations solicited from the public, a tithe paid from the entrance fee of each paying visitor, and annual contributions directly from zoo funds,.
    • New Zoo Attraction: "Skyfari" - article discussing the start of construction on a visitor ride at San Diego Zoo in the USA, intended to both reduce congestion close to the entrance of the zoo and increase the number of visitors who travel to the further reaches of the zoo.
    • Bronx Zoo: New Big Bear Exhibit - short article discussing the opening of a new exhibit at Bronx Zoo in the USA for Polar and Kodiak Bears, providing information on the general design, layout and size of the exhibit complex, and the role this development has in the wider future aims of the New York Zoological Society.
    • Unique Gorilla Transport (Edwin J. Gaffrey) - article discussing the successful air transport of an adult male Western Lowland Gorilla from Como Zoo in Minnesota to Henry Doorly Zoo in Nebraska.
    • "International Zoo-News" with a new look (Gerard van Dam) - short editorial discussing the results of a recent reader survey intended to gauge opinions on two proposals published within the July 1968 edition of IZN regarding the future of the publication, and the resulting decision to start producing a total of eight editions per year.
    • Reviews - short article highlighting several recently-published books and journals.
    • International Zoo News - smaller news reports from around 33 zoological collections.

Last edited: 4 Apr 2024
  9. TeaLovingDave

1969-1971: VOLUME 16 to VOLUME 18

No issues from this period are currently present within my personal collection.

10. TeaLovingDave

1972: VOLUME 19

Seven issues, of which one is currently located within my personal collection.

Volume 19 Issue 1 - Edition 104 - January 1972 - physical copy

• Longevity of Mammals in Captivity (Marvin L. Jones) - a detailed research article written by the first registrar of San Diego Zoo, providing captive lifespan records for c.60 monotreme and marsupial species across four pages, current as of January 1972.
    • Reviews - short article highlighting several recently-published books and journals.
    • The Use of Mirrors in imprinting Chicks (Stefan H. Graham) - article submitted by the Animal Supervisor at Cacotin Mountain Zoo in the USA, providing information regarding research conducted at the zoological collection in question into the feasibility of using mirrors to ensure that hand-reared animals imprint on their own species.
    • Ashover Zoo Closed (Jill A. Keeling) - short item noting the closure of Ashover Zoological Gardens in the UK.
    • International Zoo News - smaller news reports from around 34 zoological collections.

Kalaw likes this.
  11. TeaLovingDave

1973: VOLUME 20

Seven issues, of which I currently own two.

Volume 20 Issue 5 - Edition 115 - August 1973 - physical copy

• Italian Union of Zoological Gardens (P. L. Florio) - short news items from Rome Zoo, Pistola Zoo, Turin Zoo and Verona Zoo, all in Italy.
    • Curator's Corner (Dr H. Wackernagel) - a short opinion piece from a scientific researcher and curator at Basel Zoo in Switzerland.
    • Frankfurt Zoo, Germany: Report for 1972 (Dr Bernhard Grzimek) - a detailed 5-page report on all major births, deaths, arrivals and departures at Frankfurt Zoo over the course of 1972, along with visitor figures for the year.
    • Cheetah Births at Lion Country Safari Parks (Donald R Dietlein) - a short report on the birth of three cheetah cubs at a zoological collection in Georgia, USA.
    • International Animal Treaty (John Perry) - short article on the forthcoming adoption of an international treaty to control the trade in endangered plants and animals (later the CITES Treaty).
    • Safari on Lake Garda - Italy (Angelo Lombardi) - a short promotional item discussing the construction of Zoo del Garda in Italy (latterly Parco Natura Viva).
    • International Zoo News - smaller news reports, inventory updates and annual reports from around 42 zoological collections.

Volume 20 Issue 7/8 - Edition 117 - December 1973 - physical copy

• "International Zoo News" will NOT stop (Gerard van Dam) - short editorial noting that due to the last-minute purchase of IZN by John Aspinall, the previously-announced cessation of the publication as an active concern as a result of the retirement of van Dam as editor had been averted, and that the new editor would be Geoffrey Schomberg.
    • Goodbye and Farewell (Gerard van Dam) - editorial marking the departure of Gerard van Dam as editor, reflecting on his time at the helm of International Zoo News and his hopes for the future.
    • Explorer Programme at the Fort Worth Zoo (Hugh Quinn) - article submitted by the Educational Supervisor at Fort Worth Zoo in the USA, discussing recent activities of the Boy Scouts of America at the zoological collection in question.
    • Four Cheetah Cubs Born (Randall L. Eaton) - article submitted by the former director of World Wildlife Safari regarding the successful breeding of cheetah at the collection during 1972 and 1973, along with observations relating to behaviour, husbandry and diet.
    • The World Wildlife Fund - several short news items with a bearing on the conservation of wildlife worldwide.
    • National Zoological Association of Great Britain - several short news items relating to animal breedings and developments at zoological collections throughout Great Britain.
    • Personalia - noteworthy appointments within the professional zoological sector.
    • International Zoo News - smaller news reports, inventory updates and annual reports from around 42 zoological collections.

12. TeaLovingDave

1974: VOLUME 21

I currently own five issues from this volume; I know that at least seven issues were published in 1974, and suspect eight may have been published in total.

Volume 21 Issue 1 - Edition 118 - February 1974 - physical copy

• 1974 - and the last volume was not the last volume! (Geoffrey Schomberg) : an article/editorial calling for new subscribers and contributors to IZN, subsequent to the departure of Gerard van Dam as editor and the purchase of the publication by John Aspinall.
    • Plight of the Lion Marmosets (Russel A Mittermeir): a short article discussing the newly-established Save The Lion Marmoset Campaign, soliciting funding and other contributions for same.
    • Toad suspect in death of California Sea Lion (Max A Nickerson and Barry Whitlock): extract from the Transactions of the Kansas Academy of Science, discussing the sudden death of a captive California Sealion, preceded by gastrointestinal distress and neurological issues, and the discovery during autopsy of a partially-digested Bufo americanus within the stomach.
    • Zoo Visitor Survey (Simon Dresner): a short article discussing preliminary results of a zoo visitor survey undertaken by Dr Neil H Cheek Jr. of the University of Denver.
    • Ring-tailed Lemur Survey (Clyde A. Hill): a request for participants in a survey undertaken by San Diego Zoo, collecting the following information; adult numbers and sex-demographics; juvenile and infant numbers and sex-demographics; recent reproduction; and willingness to participate in a formal breeding/exchange programme.
    • Kabul Zoo (Dr Gunther Nogge): a general overview of the history of Kabul Zoo, noteworthy species found within the collection at the time of publication, and information relating to the objectives and plans of the collection going forward.
    • Conservation: a collection of various news items relating to conservation and ecological issues, including the establishment of Mount Everest National Park by the government of Nepal, the signing of an "Agreement on Conservation of Polar Bears" by the five Arctic states, increased regulation and control on the hunting of wild animals in Colombia, the ongoing ratification of the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species, the construction of a fence within the Chitawan National Park intended to protect the Indian Rhinoceros and prevent it from accessing cultivated areas, a New Year message from the Prince of the Netherlands highlighting the ongoing famine conditions within the Sahara, in-situ efforts to protect and conserve the Asiatic Lion within Gir Forest, and the establishment of a World Wildlife Fund project to prevent the extinction of the Javan Tiger.
    • Surplus and Wanted Stock: advertisements placed by Oklahoma City Zoo, Hogle Zoological Gardens, and Natal Zoological Gardens.
    • Appointments: announcements of recent appointments within major zoological collections, and noteworthy retirements and departures - including a short article on the retirement of Dr Heini Hediger at Zoo Zurich.
    • International Zoo News: a collection of smaller news reports, end-of-year inventories and other such items from around 35 zoological collections. These include longer annual-report extracts from Marwell Zoo, Chester Zoo and the Royal Zoological Society of South Australia.
    Further advertisement material, primarily requests for stock and listings of surplus animals, is scattered throughout between articles..

Volume 21 Issue 2 - Edition 119 - March 1974 - physical copy

• Editorial (Geoffrey Schomberg) - a short opinion piece on the impact of the world energy crisis and inflation on zoological collections, and a request for further news, articles and surplus stocklists from collections outside the USA.
    • Octopus Mating In Vancouver - a news item on the successful breeding of Giant Pacific Octopus at Vancouver Public Aquarium, the behaviour observed during the brooding process, and the diet of the juvenile octopuses after they hatched.
    • Cheetah Breeding at San Pascual, California (Clyde Hall)
    • San Antonio, Texas (Louis R DiSabato) - notes on the completion of the third phase of the zoo service complex at San Antonio Zoo, and information on the Nutrition Centre which had been constructed during the first phase.
    • Tool-using Cockatoo (Ken Kawata) - a short item relating observations pertaining to tool-use within three Greater Sulphur-crested Cockatoos held at Indianopolis Zoo, USA, in a mixed aviary also containing six species of Amazon parrot.
    • Small Mammal House Renovated - a short news item relating to the renovation of the eponymous house at Philadelphia Zoo, USA.
    • Association of British Wild Animal Keepers (John G Barzdo) - a short news item announcing the inauguration of ABWAK.
    • Proposed New American Injurious Species Regulations (Marvin L Jones)
    • Nilgiri Tahr Birth in Memphis, Tennessee
    • Venom Extraction at Hogle Zoological Gardens (Utah Zoological Society) - a short piece on research undertaken at Hogle Zoo into the creation of "venomoid" snakes.
    • Giant Eland for Pretoria - a short item on the import of a pair of Giant Eland into Pretoria Zoological Gardens, South Africa.
    • New Outdoor Enclosures for Pandas in Washington, DC.
    • Conservation - a collection of various news items relating to conservation and ecological issues, including the pollution and nutrient-loss being observed within the worlds oceans, the successful breeding programme for Hawaiian Goose at Slimbridge and elsewhere, planning for the establishment of a national park covering close to a third of Greenland, the international breeding programme for Pileated Gibbon being established by Zurich Zoo, and the cancellation of a project intended to investigate the breeding biology and ecology of Houbara Bustard.
    • International Zoo News - eleven pages of shorter news items and animal inventory updates from zoological collections worldwide.

Volume 21 Issue 3 - Edition 120 - May 1974 - physical copy

• Editorial (John Aspinall) - short opinion piece on the "great war for nature protection".
    • Animal Acupuncture in China (D. C. Taylor) - article discussing a visit to several Chinese zoological collections and livestock facilities, discussing the issues which veterinarians at these institutions deal with, and providing general observations about China itself.
    • Visitors Are Again Welcomed In Uganda (Bernhard Grzimek) - a short item confirming that Idi Amin had re-opened Uganda to western tourism.
    • Highlights of the Journal of the Japanese Association of Zoological Gardens and Aquariums (Ken Kawata) - a general summary of noteworthy articles and news items published within the aforementioned journal during 1972, including a survey into the bear taxa held within Japan and a study on the distribution and habitat of Japanese Giant Salamander in the Hiroshima region.
    • Breeding A Rare Tortoise - a short news item from Bronx Zoo confirming the import of 25 Radiated Tortoise, with the intention of starting a breeding programme for the taxon.
    • Conservation - a collection of various news items relating to conservation and ecological issues, including the ratification of CITES by the USA, recent activities and developments at eight national parks within Tanzania, a survey into Italian populations of Eurasian Wolf and a WWF/IUCN appeal to Thailand to reconsider a dam project in Kanchanaburi Province.
    • The History of the Philadelphia Zoological Gardens - a 6-page discussion of the history of the zoological collection in question, accompanied by photographs and illustrations depicting recent developments and future plans.
    • International Zoo News - nineteen pages of shorter news items, annual report summaries, and animal inventory updates from zoological collections worldwide, including information relating to the construction of a new carnivore house and tropical house at Zoo Berlin, plans for University of Ibadan Zoo, Nigeria to relocate to a larger new site, and the first live birth of Indian Rhinoceros within the USA at National Zoological Park.

Volume 21 Issue 5 - Edition 122 - August 1974 - physical copy

• Editorial (Geoffrey Schomberg) - opinion piece discussing the impact of international legislation to control the wild animal trade, and domestic legislation intended to prevent importation of diseases, on zoological collections.
    • The Okapi (Okapia Johnstonii) In Captivity (Marvin L Jones) - a short article providing a comprehensive table of all known okapi individuals currently held within zoological collections as of June 1974.
    • The Action Needed To Implement The Convention On International Trade In Endangered Species (Dr Gerado Budowski) - opinion piece on the importance of the CITES treaty and the need for more countries worldwide to become signatories.
    • Toucan Breedings At Los Angeles Zoo, USA (Richard S Rundel) - a short news piece on the breeding programme undertaken by Los Angeles Zoo for several toucan species, including Crimson-rumped Toucanet, Curl-crested Aracari, Laminated Mountain Toucan and Toco Toucan.
    • Knowsley Hall: A Tale Of Lost Opportunities (Richard Glover) - article discussing the private collection maintained by the 13th Earl of Derby during the 19th century at his Knowsley estate, some of the species successfully kept and bred there, and the lost opportunities which resulted from the complete dispersal and auction of this collection upon his death, including a breeding group of around 70 Passenger Pigeons.
    • Let Us Spell Conservation Right (Dr Gunter Voss) - short opinion piece on the importance of correct and consistent spelling when naming species within conservation literature.
    • Zoo and Wildlife Conservation (Ronald T Reuther) - a short article discussing the importance of conservation work within zoological collections, and highlighting particular collections which have undertaken noteworthy work within this area.
    • Conservation - a collection of various news items relating to conservation and ecological issues, including attempts to breed the Mauritius Kestrel in captivity and the abandonment of plans to build an oil refinery on an offshore island near Puerto Rico which would have threatened breeding colonies of tropicbird.
    • International Zoo News - seventeen pages of shorter news items, annual report summaries, and animal inventory updates from zoological collections worldwide.
    • Carnivora House and Tropical House at West Berlin Zoo - diagrams of the newly-constructed houses at Zoo Berlin which had been discussed in Edition 120.
    • Surplus and Wanted Stock - stock advertisements placed by Oklahoma Zoo, USA, Fort Worth Zoo, USA and Taronga Zoo, Australia.

Volume 21 Issue 7 - Edition 124 - November 1974 - physical copy

• Editorial (Geoffrey Schomberg) - opinion piece discussing changes in zoological standards and methods, and announcing that readers letters will be published from 1975 onwards.
    • The Role of Urban Zoos (Ronald Strahan) - opinion piece disputing various points made in a June 1974 IZN article written by John Aspinall.
    • Jersey Zoo in 1973 (Gerald Durrell) - a general account relating various developments at Jersey Zoo and the associated Wildlife Conservation Trust, along with a short obituary for the actor and playwright Noel Coward.
    • Curator’s Corner (Dr H Wackernagel) - a short opinion piece on what kind of animal makes the ideal exhibit, in terms of husbandry, activity level, visual appeal and ease-of-acquisition.
    • 1973 At The Bristol Zoo - a general account relating various developments at Bristol Zoo.
    • Animal and Bird Breeding Centre (Peter Lowe) - a short news piece relating to a private collection located at St Columb, UK, and managed under the auspices of the Cornwall Zoological Society.
    • Cotswold Wildlife Park in 1974 - a general account relating various developments at Cotswold Wildlife Park.
    • Jersey Wildlife Preservation Trust (Gerald Durrell) - notes on significant arrivals and breeding successes at Jersey Zoo.
    • Breeding The Common Seal in The West Berlin Zoo (Dr Hans Fradrich) - a short article on the successful breeding of Phoca vitulina at Zoo Berlin between 1965 and 1974.
    • International Symposium on Zoo Design and Construction (A. P. G. Michelmore) - the announcement of an upcoming symposium/conference to be held at Paignton Zoo in May 1975, along with a planned itinerary.
    • Zoo-Born Southern Elephant Seal (Miroungia leonina) lives for only 19 days - a short article about the birth of a Southern Elephant Seal at Zoo Berlin, and observations relating to the development of the calf up until it died due to underdeveloped lungs.
    • Endangered Canada Geese Released - a short news piece submitted by the US Fish & Wildlife Service relating to the release of 41 Aleutian Canada Goose on Agattu Island in Alaska.
    • Conservation - a collection of various news items relating to conservation and ecological issues, including a report from the 1974 meeting of the International Whaling Commission, attempts by the World Wildlife Fund to breed Mauritus Kestrel in captivity, and the falling wild population of Ganges Gharial.
    • Surplus & Wanted Stock - stock advertisements placed by Wellington Zoo in New Zealand, and Oklahoma City Zoo and Salt Lake City Zoo in USA.
    • International Zoo News - fifteen pages of shorter news items and animal inventory updates from zoological collections worldwide.

13. TeaLovingDave

1975: VOLUME 22

I currently own four issues from this volume; I know that at least seven issues were published in 1975, but eight may have been published in total - either one edition in 1974 covered two "issues" or one edition in 1975 did.

Volume 22 Issue 3 - Edition 127 - June 1975 - physical copy

• Editorial (Geoffrey Schomberg) - opinion piece discussing the recent death of a zoo manager and a keeper in a French zoo, due to their entering a lion enclosure without any safety precautions or protection, and a brief death notice for Richard Chipperfield.
    • Miscellaneous - a variety of shorter opinion pieces and news items, including a summary of the captive Siberian Tiger population submitted by Marvin L Jones, the banning of several invasive species within several western states in the USA, a first captive breeding of spot-necked otter, and the successful breeding and rearing of three male and one female Western Lowland Gorilla at Jersey Zoo.
    • News of Cheetahs - a collection of shorter news items relating to cheetah captive holdings.
    • Curators Corner (Dr H Wackernagel) - opinion piece on the differing lifespan of wild-caught wildfowl and captive-bred wildfowl.
    • The Eland: And A Hope That Failed In Victorian England (Richard Glover) - an article discussing the import of Cape Eland and Giant Eland into the private collection of the 13th Earl of Derby, early successes which led to animals being exported to other collections, and the eventual stagnation and extinction of the captive population of the time.
    • Anoas (Bubalus [Anoa] depressicornis) at the West Berlin Zoo - a short article discussing the import and successful breeding of Mountain Anoa at Zoo Berlin.
    • Conservation - a collection of various news items relating to conservation and ecological issues.
    • Two Months In Zaire (Jeremy J C Mallinson) - an article discussing the experiences of the author - then the zoological director of Jersey Wildlife Preservation Trust - whilst attached to the Zaire River Expedition of October and November 1974, including visits to Jardin Zoologique Lubumbashi (with details of captive species held here) and Kahuzi-Biega National Park.
    • Book Reviews - reviews of Earning Your Living With Animals (Jeremy Mallinson) and Doctor In The Zoo (Bruce Buchenholz).
    • Surplus and Wanted Stock - stock advertisements placed by Jerusalem Biblical Zoological Garden in Israel, Natal Zoological Gardens in South Africa, and Zoo Negara in Malaysia.
    • International Zoo News - ten pages of shorter news items and animal inventory updates from zoological collections worldwide, including the re-opening of Loch Lomond Bear Park as Cameron Loch Lomond, and the import of a family group of five Orinoco River Dolphin (including an albino adult and a suckling infant) into Zoo Duisburg.

Volume 22 Issue 4 - Edition 128 - July 1975 - physical copy

• Editorial (Geoffrey Schomberg) - a short introduction to this issue of IZN, noting that it is devoted to the Survey on the Status of Felids in Western Hemisphere Zoos and associated material, and apologising for the fact that all tables are omitted from the survey due to space constraints and are available on request from the author.
    • Cimicat for Cheetah Cub (Hoechst Pharmaceuticals) - advertisement feature discussing the use of Cimicat feline food supplement in the hand-rearing of a rejected cheetah cub at Windsor Safari Park, UK.
    • Readers Letter (Martin W Lacey) - observations by the manager of Sherwood Zoo on the subject of feline dietary needs in captivity.
    • Status of Felids in Western Hemisphere Zoos with Emphasis on Breeding Smaller Species (Randall L Eaton) - a general introduction to the survey, discussing the objectives and intention of the survey, the methodology used, the range of zoological collections which received and returned the survey across North and South America, and notes on the additional biases and setbacks which impacted the survey - particularly nomenclature.
    • Part 1: Results - an overview of the results obtained from the initial survey, including observations relating to reproduction, species not reported by any collections participating in the survey, age and origin of animals reported, and status of captive populations.
    • Part 2: Breeding of Smaller Felids - an overview of the results of the second questionnaire, which aimed to learn more about the factors which either facilitate or inhibit the captive breeding of smaller felids, and the data provided relating to a total of nineteen species.
    • Discussion - a more in-depth analysis of the results highlighted in the first two parts of the Survey, making several suggestions and recommendations relating to captive felid husbandry, including a focus on smaller species over larger and more commonplace taxa, more natural socialisation and captive habitats, and a focus on facilitating mother-rearing over hand-rearing wherever possible.
    • Appendix A - text of the original invitation to participate in the survey.
    • Appendix B - compiled data pertaining to privately-kept felid species within the United States.
    • Appendix C - table listing the number of zoological collections which responded with both scientific and common names, and the number which responded with solely common names.
    • Appendix D - text of the second invitation to participate in the survey.

Volume 22 Issue 7 - Edition 131 - November 1975 - physical copy

• Editorial (John Aspinall) - opinion piece on the observed stigmatisation of the word "zoo" in British culture, and zoological collections in general.
    • Miscellaneous - a variety of shorter opinion pieces and news items, including the selection of a site for a new animal import centre in the USA, and the creation of an analytical tool for more precisely determining avian sex.
    • Appointments - announcements pertaining to new appointments within zoological collections in the USA.
    • Book Reviews - reviews of the following; Breeding Endangered Species In Captivity (ed. R. D. Martin), Man And Animals In Hot Environments (D. L. Ingram and L. E. Mount), and Primate Utilization And Conservation (ed. Gordon Bermant and Donald G Lindberg).
    • Rare Mammals In Czech Zoos (Pierre Brouard) - a summary of rare and unusual taxa cited within a 1975 census of Czechoslovakian zoological collections.
    • Symposium 75 - extracts from the Symposium on Conservation and Captive Reptiles & Amphibians, held at Cotswold Wild Life Park on 26th April 1975, in particular information relating to papers presented on the subject of the impact of the pet trade on European native reptiles and amphibians, herpetological pathologies, and conservation work with native reptiles and amphibians in Kenya, and a conclusion discussing the importance of legislation controlling the international trade in reptile species.
    • Walruses in Bremerhaven's "Zoo-by-the-Sea" (Dr Götz Ruempler) - a short discussion relating to the import of three infant walrus to Zoo-am-Meer from Moscow Zoo, their veterinary care and hand-rearing, and their future prospects.
    • Conservation - a collection of various news items relating to conservation and ecological issues.
    • International Zoo News - thirteen pages of shorter news items and animal inventory updates from zoological collections worldwide, including a lengthy update from Jersey Wildlife Conservation Trust submitted by Gerald Durrell.

Volume 22 Issue 8 - Edition 132 - December 1975 - physical copy

• Editorial (Geoffrey Schomberg) - opinion piece discussing the potential existence of the Loch Ness Monster, and investigations by Sir Peter Scott and others into this matter.
    • Miscellaneous - a variety of shorter opinion pieces and news items, including information on the International Conference on the Biology and Conservation of Marmoset Monkeys.
    • Appointments - announcements pertaining to new appointments within zoological collections in the USA.
    • Book Reviews - reviews of the following; International Zoo Yearbook (ed. Nicole Duplaix-Hall), Collins Guide to Animal Tracks and Signs (Preben Bang, trans. Gwynne Vevers), Flamingos (ed. Dr Janet Kear & Nicole Duplaix-Hall) and Animals of the Park (Clive Roots).
    • Surplus & Wanted Stock - stock advertisements from Lisbon Zoo, Portugal.
    • Persian Leopard Studbook (Alan H Shoemaker) - a general summary of the interim studbook for Persian Leopard, citing dates and locations of birth and (where relevant) death, house name and number, and current location.
    • Münster's Zoological Garden (John Coborn) - an account of a visit to the newly-opened Allwetterzoo Münster submitted by a curator from Cotswold Wildlife Park, UK, including the recent history of the old now-closed zoo within the city centre, and general observations relating to the strengths of the new zoo.
    • Scent Marking Behaviour of Captive Cheetahs (Dr Thomas F Grittinger) - a short report on a study into cheetah behaviour and reproductive requirements which was undertaken at Milwaukee County Zoo, USA, including a table listing all observed behaviour.
    • Mystery Surrounding Zoo's Galapagos Island Tortoise Nears Solution (Prudence Hutsching) - a short report on the subject of research undertaken by San Diego Zoo and San Diego Natural History Museum establishing the existence of at least six species of Galapagos Tortoise, and the possible ramifications this may have on the low rate of breeding for these tortoises in captivity.
    • Letters to the Editor - letters from the following; Dr Wolfgang Gewalt of Zoo Duisburg, Germany providing a correction to claims made in IZN 129 that Philadelphia Zoo, USA had recorded the first captive egg-laying for Monkey-eating Eagle in 1972 and 1973, noting that a private breeder in the Philippines had bred the species in 1971; John Knowles of Marwell Zoo, UK pointing out the high priority which should be placed in forming and maintaining pure subspecies-status breeding groups of tiger in captivity, and noting his own intention to make pure-subspecies Siberian Tiger available to such a programme; and Vernon N Kisling Jr of Crandon Park Zoo, USA on the importance of conservation, research, inter-zoo cooperation and improved exhibit quality and design in modern zoological collections.
    • International Zoo News - nineteen pages of shorter news items,animal inventory updates and abridged annual reports from zoological collections worldwide, including the import of Beluga to Zoo Duisburg, Germany, the construction and opening of a new Affen-Tropenhaus at Zoo Krefeld, Germany, and a possible lifespan record for Sulawesi Macaque established at San Diego Zoo, USA.

14. TeaLovingDave

1976: VOLUME 23

Eight issues, of which six are located within my personal collection.

Volume 23 Issue 3 - Edition 135 - April/May 1976 - physical copy

• Editorial (Geoffrey Schomberg) - opinion piece discussing the 150th anniversary of the Zoological Society of London, and the way in which London Zoo meets the demands of the modern era.
    • Miscellaneous - a variety of shorter opinion pieces and news items, including notes on guenon captive longevity, noteworthy facts about the captive orang-utan population from the private notes of Marvin L Jones, and a short report from a symposium on captive ungulates held at Marwell Zoo.
    • Annual Reports - a five-page abridged reproduction of the 1974-1975 Annual Report from Taronga Zoo and Western Plains Zoo, including a general summary of major events at the two collections, noteworthy births, deaths, imports and exports along with construction projects, and ongoing research projects.
    • A South American Zoo (Professor R Glover) - an opinion piece and general review subsequent to a visit to Rio Zoo by the author.
    • Leopard Studbooks (Alan H Shoemaker) - a short item on the ongoing efforts by Columbia Zoological Park to research and compile studbooks for three leopard taxa.
    • Breeding of the Cape Penguin (Y. Ota, trans. Ken Kawata) - a report from Ueno Zoo, Japan relating to the first post-WWII breeding of Spheniscus demersus at the collection, discussing the import of a breeding pair in 1973, pair formation, nesting and incubation behaviour observed, and notes on the development and growth of the resulting chicks over the first 105 days of life.
    • Animals and Man Exhibition (Pierre Brouard) - notes on an upcoming exhibition to be held during the Swiss Industries Fair at Basle, Switzerland in May 1976 with the intention of highlighting the relationship between humans and animals, discussing those aspects of the exhibition which will be of particular interest to zoo scientists.
    • Book Reviews - reviews of The Keeper: Journal of the American Association of Zoo Keepers, edited by Ron Kaufman and Chris LaRue, The Ark In The Park by Wilfred Blunt, and London's Zoo: An Anthology, edited by Gwynne Vevers.
    • Surplus and Wanted Stock - stock advertisements from Oklahoma City Zoo, USA and Suffolk Wildlife Park, UK.
    • Conservation - a collection of various news items relating to conservation and ecological issues, including mention of a project to seek out surviving populations of Caspian Tiger in the mountains of eastern Iran.
    • International Zoo News: six pages of news items relating to zoological collections based worldwide, including items from Great Britain.

Volume 23 Issue 4 - Edition 136 - June 1976 - physical copy

• Editorial (Geoffrey Schomberg) - opinion piece on the possibility that the anti-zoo lobby could point to the large areas of potentially-arable land occupied by zoological exhibits as an additional form of anti-zoo ammunition.
    • Miscellaneous - a variety of shorter opinion pieces and news items, including a study on the feeding behaviour of young Red Deer, a summary of recent developments at Clères Zoo, France, and notes from St Louis Zoological Park, USA.
    • Zoos and Conservation (William G Conway) - a lengthy article written by the General Director of New York Zoological Society on the importance of conservation, and education about conservation, in modern-day zoological collections, and the impact it can have on the motivations of zoo visitors.
    • Zoological Gardens in Indonesia (I. S. Suwelo) - a short item summarising the accredited zoological collections located in Indonesia, providing information on their age, size, management structure and size of animal collections.
    • Letter to the Editor (Ronald T Reuther) - a note from the president of Philadelphia Zoological Gardens thanking John Aspinall and Geoffrey Schomberg for their support and management of International Zoo News.
    • Book Reviews - reviews of Reading, Writing, Chattering Chimps by Aline Amon, and Classification of the Animal Kingdom edited by Richard Freeman.
    • Conservation - a collection of various news items relating to conservation and ecological issues, including the extinction of the Spanish Imperial Eagle in North Africa, investigations into the wild populations of Javan Tiger and Javan Rhinoceros, and the rapid population declines in Lesser Antillean species of Amazon Parrot.
    • Appointments - announcements pertaining to noteworthy changes in employment within the zoological sector, including the appointment of David Hancocks as director of Woodland Park Zoo, USA.
    • Annual Reports - an extensive eight-page abridged version of the 1975 annual report from the Zoological Society of London including noteworthy births, deaths and construction projects, along with veterinary and pathological reports; also shorter excerpts and abridged extracts from the following; the 1975 annual report from Zoo Heidelberg, Germany; the 1974 annual report from Lincoln Park Zoo, USA; and the 1975 annual report from Zoo Berlin, Germany.
    • Surplus and Wanted Stock - stock advertisements from Oklahoma City Zoo, USA and the Malaysian Zoological Society, Malaysia.
    • International Zoo News: eight pages of news items relating to zoological collections based worldwide, including items from Great Britain.

Volume 23 Issue 5 - Edition 137 - July/August 1976 - physical copy

• Editorial (Geoffrey Schomberg) - opinion piece suggesting European zoological collections should hold more regional conferences along the North American model.
    • Miscellaneous - a variety of shorter opinion pieces and news items.
    • Report on the 2nd International Symposium on Zoo Design and Construction (A. P. G. Michelmore) - a general summary of papers presented and resulting discussions at a symposium held at Paignton Zoo, UK, covering a range of subjects pertaining to design and construction of zoological exhibits and associated husbandry concerns.
    • Report on the 6th Congress of the Union Iberica de Zoos (Dennis Levy) - a short overview of some of the most salient points arising from a recent symposium held in Valencia, Spain.
    • The New Lion Terraces at London Zoo - an article discussing the construction and official opening of a new exhibit complex for lions at London Zoo, UK, including details relating to the design of the exhibit and associated internal housing, the dimensions of each major area of the exhibit complex and the public viewing areas, and the various factors taken into consideration when planning and designing the complex.
    • Censuses of Gorillas in Zoological Collections with Notes on Numerical Status and Conservation (Don Cousins) - a general overview of the captive population of gorilla at the time of writing, along with notes on the past state of the population during earlier censuses, and the impact of the captive population (and the low number of captive-bred individuals in zoological collections) on wild populations.
    • Keeping the Australian Echidna in Captivity (M. Murofushi, trans. Ken Kawata) - a short report on the arrival of two Short-beaked Echidna at Tama Zoo, Japan as an official diplomatic gift from Australia following an official state visit to the country by the Crown Prince and Princess of Japan in May 1973, along with information on the diet and exhibitry of the species at Tama, and observations regarding their behaviour and general habits.
    • Enrichment and Occupational Devices for Orang-utan and Chimpanzees (D. E. Murphy) - a detailed report from San Francisco Zoological Gardens, USA relating to a pair of projects recently undertaken there with the intention of improving great ape enrichment in zoological collections.
    • Book Reviews - a review of Golden Days: Historic Photographs of the London Zoo, compiling 140 photographs from the history of the zoo.
    • Annual Reports - abridged extracts from the following; the 1975 annual report from Bristol Zoo, UK; the 1974/1975 annual report from Melbourne Zoo, Australia; and the 1975 annual report from Philadelphia Zoo, USA.
    • Surplus and Wanted Stock - stock advertisements from the following UK collections; Blackpool Zoo, Chessington Zoo, Colchester Zoo, Drusillas Zoo, Edinburgh Zoo, Flamingo Gardens, Harewood Bird Gardens, Highland Wildlife Park, Kilverstone Wildlife Park, Paignton Zoo, Penscynor Wildlife Park, Twycross Zoo, and Welsh Mountain Zoo, along with advertisements from Oklahoma City Zoo, USA and Lungholm Ulvepark, Denmark.
    • International Zoo News: five pages of news items relating to zoological collections based worldwide, including items from Great Britain.

Volume 23 Issue 6 - Edition 138 - September 1976 - physical copy

• Editorial (Geoffrey Schomberg) - opinion piece on a recent offer from a Dutch animal dealer to illegally smuggle Philippine Eagle into the country on behalf of a leading European zoo.
    • Zoo Federation News - 7 pages of news items relating to zoological collections based in Great Britain, Ireland and the Channel Islands.
    • Gorilla Habitat Display: A Follow-up Report on the Indoor Moated Exhibit for Gorillas at Houston (Richard Quick) - a short report, accompanied by photographic material, on a recently-opened exhibit for Western Lowland Gorilla at Houston Zoo, USA.
    • Personal Impressions of Yugoslavia (Dennis Levy) - a report on a recent visit by the author to several Yugoslavian zoological collections, including particular focus on Zagreb Zoo, Belgrade Zoo, Skopje Zoo.
    • The Birth of a Zebra (Bengt Larsson) - a brief report, accompanied by several photographs, on a recent visit to Boras Djurpark, Sweden, during which the author observed the birth of a zebra foal.
    • Hong Kong's Trade in Wildlife (Michael Webster) - a lengthy report on the animal trade passing through Hong Kong, both legal and illegal, along with notes on the ecological impact of this trade, the purpose of the imports, and legal restraints in place.
    • Annual Reports - a lengthy five-page abridged version of the 1975 annual report from Edinburgh Zoo, UK including noteworthy changes within the mammal, bird and reptile collections, along with veterinary reports and visitor numbers; also a short excerpt from the 1975 annual report for Zoo Lodz, Poland.
    • Surplus and Wanted Stock - stock advertisements from Oklahoma City Zoo, USA.
    • International Zoo News: eighteen pages of news items relating to zoological collections based worldwide, including a report on the export of the last Philippine Eagle at Frankfurt Zoo, Germany to Los Angeles Zoo, USA in the hope of concentrating the captive population and improving the chances of successful breeding.

Volume 23 Issue 7 - Edition 139 - October/November 1976 - physical copy

• Editorial (Geoffrey Schomberg) - opinion piece on the factors which determine the optimum location outside of Western Europe and North America for a zoological collection.
    • Zoo Federation News - 7 pages of news items relating to zoological collections based in Great Britain, Ireland and the Channel Islands.
    • Miscellaneous - a variety of shorter opinion pieces and news items, including attempts to locate a female Pinta Island Giant Tortoise, and an import of Japanese Serow into the USA.
    • Breeding Binturongs at Calderpark Zoo (William Mathieson) - a short article on the successful breeding of binturong at Glasgow Zoo in 1972, observations on behaviour and diet, and notes on the development of the cubs.
    • Surplus and Wanted Stock - stock advertisements from the following UK collections; Blackpool Zoo, Chessington Zoo, Drusillas Zoo, Dudley Zoo, Edinburgh Zoo, Harewood Bird Gardens, Highland Wildlife Park, Jersey Zoo, Marwell Zoo, Muncaster Bird Gardens, and Paignton Zoo, along with advertisements from Lincoln Park Zoo, USA, Malayan Zoological Society, Malaysia and Oklahoma City Zoo, USA.
    • A Summary on Maintaining a Breeding Pair of Siamangs in Captivity (Joe Bennett) - an article discussing the husbandry and breeding of Siamang at Tulsa Zoo, USA, going into detail about housing, diet, medical management, breeding, and interactions between animals when introduced, along with a table of bacterial and parasitic infections observed within the species at the zoo.
    • The Alaska Childrens Zoo (Mark S Rich) - a short review of the zoological collection in question, submitted by the assistant curator of mammals at San Diego Zoo.
    • Conservation - a collection of various news items relating to conservation and ecological issues, including the reintroduction of lynx to Slovenia, the launch of a major elephant conservation project by the IUCN, and a stock request from Ise-shima Zoological Garden in Japan.
    • Appointments - announcements pertaining to noteworthy changes in employment within the zoological sector.
    • Annual Reports - a four-page abridged version of the 1975 annual report from Brookfield Zoo, USA, including noteworthy changes within the animal collections, along with construction projects, stock numbers and visitor numbers; also a shorter account derived from the 1975 annual report from Glasgow Zoo, UK.
    • Book Reviews - reviews of The Best of Friends by John Aspinall, and International Zoo Yearbook Vol. 16 edited by P. J. S. Olney.
    • International Zoo News: ten pages of news items relating to zoological collections based worldwide, including the successful breeding of Zebra Duiker at Gladys Porter Zoo, corrections submitted by Zoo Frankfurt of erroneous and defamatory material recently published in the German press, the opening of Port Lympne Wildlife Gardens on 31 July 1976, and the death of the oldest Philippine Eagle in the world at Rome Zoo, Italy.

Volume 23 Issue 8 - Edition 140 - December 1976 - physical copy

• Editorial (Geoffrey Schomberg) - opinion piece on the relationship between zoological collections and conservation bodies, and the positive and negative factors on this relationship.
    • Miscellaneous - a variety of shorter opinion pieces and news items, including the launch of the Cat Survival Trust, with the intention of opening a specialist zoological collection within the UK, the birth of a Grizzled Tree Kangaroo at Oklahoma City Zoo, USA, and the publication of an updated studbook for Golden Lion Tamarin.
    • Symposium Reports - detailed accounts from the Centennial Symposium on Science and Research held at Philadelphia Zoo in November 1974, and the Second World Conference on Breeding Endangered Species in Captivity held at London Zoo in July 1976. The first of these focused on a range of pathological and veterinarian subjects, including arteriosclerosis in hyraxes and New World primates, rheumatoid arthritis in great apes, and behaviour of captive animals. The latter of these was devoted, as the title suggests, to a detailed examination of captive breeding of endangered species, with subjects covered including the "founder effect", the captive breeding record of saiga antelope, behavioural management, the need for a genetically-diverse captive population of any given species wherever possible, the possibility of reintroductions and factors impacting on this, and the interaction between conservation bodies and zoological collections.
    • Trade Partner for Zoo and Circus - Meeting Place of a Thousand Animals (Martin John Moscow, trans. Dennis Levy) - a short item on the Moscow Zoo Union, an animal trader, importer and exporter operating throughout the USSR and other Warsaw Pact countries.
    • Gerald Durrell's Mauritian Expedition (Gerald Durrell) - a five-page account of a recent expedition to Mauritius, Round Island and Rodrigues, along with information on species collected for the purposes of captive breeding and the threats facing them.
    • Of Bangkok, Bazaars and Bantengs (Tom Goldsberry) - a short account submitted by a keeper from Portland Zoo, USA, pertaining to a recent visit to Thailand including notes on Dusit Zoological Park.
    • Book Reviews - reviews of The Worlds Cats Vol. III No. 3 - a compilation of papers submitted by various authors - and Wildlife in Britain: A Guide to Natural Habitats, Safari Parks and Zoos, edited by Geoffrey Schomberg.
    • Surplus and Wanted Stock - stock advertisements from Oklahoma City Zoo, USA.
    • Annual Reports - excerpts and summaries from the 1975 annual report from Basel Zoo, Switzerland and the 1975 annual report from Cologne Zoo, Germany; also longer abridged versions of the following; the 1975 annual report from Denver Zoo, USA; the 1975 annual report from Jersey Zoo; the 1975 annual report from Wellington Zoo New Zealand; and the 1975 annual report from Paignton Zoo, UK.

15. TeaLovingDave

1977: VOLUME 24

Eight issues, of which I currently own two.

Volume 24 Issue 3 - Edition 143 - April/May 1977 - physical copy

• Editorial (Geoffrey Schomberg) - opinion piece on the importance of professionalism within zoological collections, and the need to avoid condoning the illicit trade in animal species.
    • Miscellaneous - a collection of shorter news items and reports relating to conservation programmes, zoo news and research.
    • Conservation - a collection of various news items relating to conservation and ecological issues, including the results of a survey undertaken by the World Wildlife Fund which had determined the Javan Tiger was on the brink of extinction with only 4 or 5 animals surviving in the wild and none held in captive collections, with mention made that the Caspian Tiger may already be extinct at the time of publication.
    • A New Zoo Park in Christchurch (Paul Garland) - a short item submitted by the director of the collection discussing the recent opening of Orana Park Wildlife Reserve in September 1976, detailing the various planned stages of future development.
    • A Far Eastern Marineland (Douglas Dickens) - a seven-page article discussing the newly-opened Ocean Park Hong Kong, detailing issues encountered during the early months of the collection, the current exhibits and species present, and future plans.
    • Annual Reports - a short abridged version of the 1976 annual report for Lincoln Park Zoo, USA.
    • Book Reviews - reviews of the following; World Guide to Mammals by Nicole Duplaix and Noel Simon, The Zoological Society of London 1826-1976 and Beyond edited by Professor Lord Zuckerman, and The World's Cats Vol. 3 Part 3 edited by Randall L Eaton.
    • International Zoo News: eight pages of news items relating to zoological collections based worldwide, including items from Great Britain. Notable items include the death of the world's oldest known non-human ape, an orangutan held at Philadelphia Zoo, USA which died at the age of 57.

Volume 24 Issue 4 - Edition 144 - June 1977 - physical copy

• Editorial (Geoffrey Schomberg): opinion piece discussing the problem of hybrid animals and colour-morphs becoming more commonplace in captive collections.
    • Miscellaneous - a collection of shorter news items and reports relating to conservation programmes, zoo news and research.
    • Putting The Wild Back Into The Zoo (Ron Snyder): article written by a research associate based at Brookfield Zoo, USA, discussing various forms of behavioral enrichment used at the aforementioned zoological collection in order to showcase the natural hunting and feeding behaviour of several carnivorous mammals displayed at Brookfield.
    • Second Captive Generation Reproduction of Orang-Utans (Marvin L. Jones): article written by the international orangutan studbook keeper - based at the Zoological Society of San Diego - highlighting the then-commonplace misconception that no orangutan born in captivity had succeeded in bearing or siring young, and detailing several noteworthy occasions where either one or both parents of a captive-born orangutan were themselves captive-born; the article is accompanied by an appendix providing a list of all known such births, including those which ended in stillbirth and those which were still living at the time of publication.
    • Conservation: a single short item discussing a new drive by the World Wildlife Fund to increase the number of governments acceding to the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species.
    • Annual Reports: a nine-page abridged version of the 1976 annual report for the Zoological Society of London, providing information on visitor numbers to both London Zoo and Whipsnade, noteworthy news from the various animal sections at the two zoological collections in question, scientific and educational activities undertaken by the society, and tables showing the overall change in animal inventories across the year; this is followed by a pair of shorter reports discussing notable events at Zoo Wuppertal and Parc de Cleres in 1976.
    • Surplus & Wanted Stock: a summary of the animal stock placed on the surplus register by the Malayan Zoological Society, along with a list of mammals and birds requested by the society.
    • Studbooks: a collection of studbook summaries, comprising the following; a list of all reported Asiatic Wild Asses (Equus hemionus) and African Wild Asses (Equus asinus) held in captive zoological collections as of January 1 1977, including details of subspecific status and those collections which failed to provide up-to-date information, contributed by Claus Pohle, a long-time curator at Tierpark Berlin who was the international studbook keeper for wild asses between 1973 and 2014; a summary of major changes in the captive population of lion tamarins between 31 December 1975 and 31 December 1976, contributed by Devra G. Kleiman at the National Zoological Park, USA with supplementary information from Ken Kawata at Topeka Zoo and Dr A. F. Coimbra-Filho at the Tijuca Biological Bank, Brazil; and a brief summary of the number of Siberian and Sumatran Tigers registered in zoos worldwide, contributed by Dr Siegfried Seifert and Peter Müller - both at Zoo Leipzig.
    • International Zoo News: twelve pages of news items relating to zoological collections based worldwide, including items from Great Britain. Notable items include the first successful UK captive breeding of elephant (at Chester Zoo), financial problems at Zoo Negara in Malaysia, and the opening of a new outdoor exhibit complex for orangutans and gorillas at Philadelphia Zoo, USA.

16. TeaLovingDave

1978: VOLUME 25

Eight issues, all represented within this thread.

Volume 25 Issue 1 - Edition 149 - January/February 1978 - physical copy

• Editorial (Geoffrey Schomberg) - a light-hearted hypothetical story about zoo animals forming a union.
    • Book Review - a review of International Tiger Studbook 1977, compiled by the studbook keeper Dr Siegried Seifert and the assistant studbook keeper Peter Mueller.
    • Small Mammal House at Artis Zoo, Amsterdam (Dick Dekker) - a short item providing a general description of the recently-opened small mammal house at Artis, Netherlands.
    • Breeding the Southern Elephant Seal (Miroungia leonina) at Antwerp Zoo - an article discussing the birth of a Southern Elephant Seal pup at Antwerp Zoo, Belgium in April 1977, with keepers notes and observations relating to the development of the pup up to mid-June 1977.
    • Breeding Gorillas In Zoos: The Present Position (Don Cousins) - a detailed 7-page article discussing the captive breeding of both Western and Eastern Gorilla in captivity, providing information relating to observed problems which have arisen (lack of maternal instinct, humanised animals, vitamin deficiencies within mothers milk etc), breeding behaviour and physiology, research into artificial insemination, and the need for further research in order to improve both breeding rates and infant survival rates.
    • Mañana Is Coming To Trinidad (Tom Goldsberry) - a short item discussing a recent visit by the author (a keeper at Washington Park Zoo) to Trinidad, including information relating to the Zoological Society of Trinidad and Tobago.
    • New African Enclosure In Heidelberg Zoo (Dr Dieter Poley) - a short item submitted by the director of Heidelberg Zoo, Germany discussing the recent opening of an exhibit complex for a range of African species, including information on the species held, the general design of the enclosure and house, and statistics pertaining to the dimensions of individual elements of the complex and the timescales taken from construction starting to animals being moved into the exhibit.
    • Report on the Jardin des Plantes and Vincennes Zoological Park, Paris (Peter J Sharp) - a general review of the two zoological collections in question, with particular focus on the Jardin des Plantes, detailing noteworthy species held at the time of writing and thoughts on the future of the two collections.
    • Introduction of incompatible gorillas (Gorilla g. gorilla) at the San Diego Wild Animal Park (Steven Jones) - a short report on a recent third attempt to integrate a hand-reared female gorilla into an established breeding group at the zoological collection in question, with success observed on this third attempt despite prior beliefs the female was incompatible with the existing group members.
    • Polygraph Testing for Emu Egg Fertility at Indianopolis Zoo (Chris Carlson) - a short report on the need to determine egg fertility before incubation in order to maximise success rates, and a tentative theory as to a possible means of doing so.
    • Conservation - a collection of various news items relating to conservation and ecological issues, including the rediscovery of White-winged Guan after a century of being believed extinct.
    • Appointments - announcements pertaining to noteworthy changes in employment within the zoological sector.
    • Annual Reports - abridged extracts from the 1976/1977 annual report from Perth Zoo, Australia and the 1976/1977 annual report from Glasgow Zoo, UK.
    • Surplus and Wanted Stock - stock advertisements from Kyarimi Park, Nigeria and Brookfield Zoo, USA.
    • New Threat to the Dwindling Population of Mountain Gorillas in Rwanda and Zaire (A. H. Harcourt) - notes on a recent marked increase in habitat loss and poaching impacting Mountain Gorilla in the Virunga Mountains.
    • Cotswold Herpetological Symposium 1978 - a notice of the upcoming 4th Annual Herpetological Symposium to be held at Cotswold Wildlife Park, UK in April 1978, along with the programme of talks and lectures.
    • International Zoo News - seven pages of news items relating to zoological collections based worldwide, including items from Great Britain.

Volume 25 Issue 2 - Edition 150 - March 1978 - physical copy

• Editorial (Geoffrey Schomberg) - opinion piece on the importance of zoological collections not only publishing their breeding figures, but also their mortality figures, suggesting ways that this could be achieved within annual reports.
    • The Diminutive Pan (Don Cousins) - a six-page article on the discovery of the Bonobo, early records within captivity and the possibility of undetected captive holdings during this timespan and beforehand, the wild status and range of the species, and more recent attempts to establish the species within captivity.
    • Death of Dr Norman Scollard - a short obituary for the former curator of Riverdale Zoo, Toronto.
    • Lisbon's Unusual Zoo Guest: A 3-Horn Black Rhino (Pierre Brouard) - a short item on the import of an alleged three-horned Black Rhinoceros into Lisbon Zoo, establishing that the extra horn in question had been artificially grafted onto the animal.
    • Captive Breeding of Red-billed Hornbills (Tockus erythrorhynchus) at Cotswold Wildlife Park (John Coborn) - an article on the successful breeding of the species in question at Cotswold Wildlife Park, submitted by the curator of the collection, with details on nesting and incubation behaviour, the design and layout of nesting boxes, and tables providing key figures and timescales.
    • How To Play Your Client For A Fool; Or A Crooks Advice To A Zoo Architect - a 5-page satirical opinion piece submitted under the pseudonym of "Mephistopheles" discussing observed trends in modern-day zoo architecture, and ways in which zoological collections dismiss criticism about bad exhibit standards.
    • Annual Reports - abridged extracts from the 1977 annual report from Adelaide Zoo, Australia, the 1977 annual report from Tierpark Berlin, Germany and the 1976/1977 annual report from Lincoln Park Zoo, USA.
    • International Zoo News - eight pages of news items relating to zoological collections based worldwide, including a double-page illustration showing the new master plan for Stanley Park Zoo, Canada.

Volume 25 Issue 3 - Edition 151 - April/May 1978 - physical copy

• Editorial (Geoffrey Schomberg) - opinion piece on the pros and cons of zoological collections becoming charitable trusts.
    • Book Review - review of The Last Great Wild Beast Show by Bill Jordan and Stefan Ormerod.
    • Milestone at Marwell (John Knowles) - opinion piece submitted by the founder of Marwell Zoo discussing the reasons why the zoological collection in question has become a charitable trust and the ways in which this decision will impact the collection moving forward.
    • A Survey of Elephants in the British Isles (Mary-Elizabeth Raw) - a general discussion of the results of a recent survey looking at the number of elephants held within the British Isles, their routine management and veterinary care, and information on breeding attempts.
    • Elephant Orphanage (Mark Rich) - a short item on a facility for orphaned elephants on Sri Lanka which the author encountered during a recent visit to the country.
    • Zoos of the Low Countries (P. J. Sharp) - a general overview of the author's thoughts on five zoological collections which they recently visited in Belgium and the Netherlands; Antwerp Zoo, Planckendael Zoo, Rotterdam Zoo, Wassenaar Zoo, and Artis.
    • Notes on Bacterial and Fungal Infections in the Gorilla (Don Cousins) - a six-page article on various bacterial and fungal infections observed within both wild and captive gorillas, with particular focus on ringworm, staphylococcus, and yaws.
    • Some Remarks About The Okapi (Prof. Dr. Ernst M. Lang) - a general overview of the captive history of okapi, including a table showing the captive population of the species between 1961 to 1976.
    • Surplus and Wanted Stock - stock advertisements placed by Hong Kong Zoological and Botanical Gardens.
    • International Co-operation for Captive Breeding of the Pygmy Hog (Christian R Schmidt, Jeremy Mallinson and Peter Weilenmann) - a short article on the rediscovery of Pygmy Hog, and the decision to establish both an in-situ breeding centre for the species in Assam, India and an ex-situ breeding population at Zurich Zoo, Switzerland - details are given relating to the latter of these, along with plans to establish a second ex-situ breeding population at Jersey Zoo once stock was available.
    • Longevity of a Banded Mongoose (Mungos mungo gmelini) in Captivity (H. Van Rompaey) - a short item on a privately-held mongoose of wild-caught origin, its veterinary care and diet, and eventual lifespan exceeding the previously-established record for the species.
    • Annual Report - an abridged version of the 1976 annual report for Kuala Lumpur Zoo, Malaysia.
    • International Zoo News - nine pages of news items relating to zoological collections based worldwide, including items from Great Britain.

Volume 25 Issue 4 - Edition 152 - June 1978 - physical copy

• Editorial (Geoffrey Schomberg) - personal reflections on the recent death of George Mottershead.
    • Obituaries - a 3-page obituary for George Mottershead of Chester Zoo, and a shorter item on the death of Normal Scollard of Riverdale Zoo Park and Toronto Zoo.
    • Book Review - reviews of Zoo and Aquarium Design by David Walker Lupton, and The Shadow of Extinction by Jeremy Mallinson.
    • The Howletts and Port Lympne Collection of Wild Animals - a short item summarising the noteworthy species held at the two Aspinall collections, and highlighting some of the husbandry successes and advances made thus far.
    • A Visit To Some Central and Eastern European Zoological Collections (Marvin L Jones) - a short opinion piece on a visit to Zoo Köln and Zoo Berlin, detailing noteworthy species held at the two collections at the time of writing.
    • Thoughtful Labels Show A Thinking Zoo (Andre P Verstraete) - a general discussion, accompanied by illustrative photographs, on the importance of informative and well-designed exhibit signage using Edinburgh Zoo as an example.
    • Zoo Federation News - news items relating to zoological collections based in Great Britain, Ireland and the Channel Islands.
    • Conservation - a collection of various news items relating to conservation and ecological issues, including efforts to protect the last-known wild breeding population of Waldrapp Ibis, and the expansion of the captive leopard studbook to include the Sri Lankan subspecies.
    • Letters to the Editor - a lengthy three-page item submitted by David Hancocks titled "Response to a Crook" providing a lengthy rebuttal to the claims and allegations made by the pseudonymous "Mephistopheles" in the IZN 150 article "How To Play Your Client For A Fool; Or A Crooks Advice To A Zoo Architect", and a short item submitted by Harry Schram highlighting the fact that a Spanish safari park had recently allowed the hunting of its stock for profit.
    • Surplus and Wanted Stock - stock advertisements placed by Lincoln Park Zoological Gardens, USA.
    • International Zoo News - eleven pages of news items relating to zoological collections based worldwide, including items from Great Britain.

Volume 25 Issue 5 - Edition 153 - July/August 1978 - physical copy

• Editorial (Geoffrey Schomberg) - opinion piece discussing the varying level of control placed by European governments on zoological collections via legislation impacting import, export, veterinary care and so forth.
    • Appointments - a notice that Dr Michael Brambell had succeeded the late George Mottershead as director of Chester Zoo, UK.
    • First International Snow Leopard Conference in Helsinki, 7th-8th March 1978 (Dr Leif Blomqist) - a short item submitted by the conference chair and studbook keeper for snow leopard on the subjects discussed at the eponymous conference, recommendations to collections holding snow leopards, and future plans.
    • IECF Awards (Jan R. van Oosten) - a short item discussing the first International Ecological Conservation Foundation Award and associated Jean Delacour Awards.
    • Letters to the Editor - an anonymous letter responding to the article dealing with a fraudulent three-horned Black Rhinoceros at Lisbon Zoo in IZN 150, and a pair of letters from architects based in the USA with experience within the zoo industry responding to the lengthy "Mephistopheles" article in IZN 150, with one letter being generally in support of the anonymous authors conclusions and the other dismissing the article as interesting but wholly misguided and of little use.
    • Conservation - a collection of various news items relating to conservation and ecological issues
    • Surplus and Wanted Stock - stock advertisements placed by Rare Feline Breeding Compound, USA and Twycross Zoo, UK.
    • Annual Reports - extracts from the 1977 annual report from Basel Zoo, Switzerland, and the 1977 annual report from Zoological Gardens of Quebec, Canada, and longer abridged summaries from the 1977 annual report from Denver Zoo, USA, the 1977 annual report from Edinburgh Zoo, UK, and the 1977 annual report from Chester Zoo, UK.
    • International Zoo News - twelve pages of news items relating to zoological collections based worldwide, including the death of the only Mediterranean Monk Seal in captivity at Aquario Vasco da Gama, Portugal and the death of Guy the Western Lowland Gorilla at London Zoo, UK.

Volume 25 Issue 6 - Edition 154 - September 1978 - physical copy

• Editorial (Geoffrey Schomberg) - opinion piece suggesting that co-operative breeding programmes should be maintained for all captive species, not merely those of conservation interest.
    • Obituary - a short item on the recent death of Hermann Ruhe, director and owner of several zoological collections in Germany and elsewhere.
    • Blijdorp Zoo's Notogaea Exhibition (Pierre Brouard) - a short item on the recent exhibition of Australian, New Guinea and New Zealand fauna at Diergaarde Blijdorp, Netherlands, including a list of species exhibited.
    • A Visit To Some Central and Eastern European Zoological Collections (Part 2) (Marvin L Jones) - a short opinion piece on a visit to Tierpark Berlin and Warsaw Zoo, detailing noteworthy species held at the two collections at the time of writing and other general observations.
    • Letter to the Editor - a response titled "The Crook Replies" by the pseudonymous "Mephistopheles" dealing with the criticisms to his prior article submitted by David Hancocks in IZN 152, accusing Hancocks of several falsehoods and misrepresentations.
    • Zoo Federation News - news items relating to zoological collections based in Great Britain, Ireland and the Channel Islands.
    • Surplus and Wanted Stock - stock advertisements placed by the Chipperfield Organisation, UK.
    • Annual Reports - a lengthy 6-page abridged version of the 1977 annual report for the Zoological Society of London and the two zoological collections under its purview; shorter abridged versions of the 1976/1977 annual report from Taronga Zoo, Australia, the 1977 annual report from Paignton Zoo, UK, and the 1977 annual report from Assiniboine Zoo, Canada; and extracts from the 1977 annual report from Wassenaar Zoo, Netherlands, and the 1977 annual report from Sacramento Zoo, USA.
    • Golden Lion Tamarin Status Updated - a short item discussing the addition of several privately-held animals to the 1977 World Register of Golden Lion Tamarins, and the general state of the captive population.
    • International Zoo News - seventeen pages of news items relating to zoological collections based worldwide, including the birth and subsequent death of "Motty", a hybrid African x Asian Elephant, at Chester Zoo, UK.

Volume 25 Issue 7 - Edition 155 - October/November 1978 - physical copy

• Editorial (Geoffrey Schomberg) - opinion piece on the objectives of zoological collections, and on the impact of deforestation on climate conditions and wild animal populations.
    • Book Reviews - reviews of International Zoo Yearbook Vol. 18 (edited by P. J. S. Olney), Tiger: The Story of the Indian Tiger by Kailash Sankhala, and Carnivore Vol I Part 2 May 1978 (edited by Dr R. Eaton).
    • The Reaction of Apes to Water, With Reference to Filled Moats (Don Cousins) - a research article discussing the use of filled moats within zoological collections, the inability of most great apes to swim, and the various reactions which captive apes may have to bodies of water.
    • A Perspective: Zoo-going and Animal Popularity (Ken Kawata and Mike Hendy) - a short item discussing the results of a recent survey into urban zoo visitors, undertaken via the interviewing of a random sample of the public in Tulsa, USA, and with notes on the answers given to questions pertaining to the reasons for zoo-going and the popularity of particular zoo animals.
    • Behavioural Engineering in the Zoo: A Critique (Michael Hutchings, David Hancocks and Theresa Calip) - an extract from the Proceedings of the 53rd Annual AAZPA Conference, focusing on captive husbandry, behavioural enrichment and the limitations of such methods. Written by research associates based at Woodland Park Zoo and the University of Seattle, and the director of the aforementioned zoo.
    • Letter to the Editor (John Adams) - a letter highlighting various factual errors and omissions within the article A Survey of Elephants in the British Isles by Mary-Elizabeth Raw in IZN 151, and noting that the low quality of the contents not only reflects poorly on International Zoo News as a publication, but also risks confusing and misinforming readers unfamiliar with UK zoological collections.
    • Conservation - a collection of various news items relating to conservation and ecological issues, including the ongoing reintroduction programme for Arabian Oryx.
    • Annual Reports - extracts from the 1977 annual report from Wellington Zoo, New Zealand and the 1977 annual report from Jersey Wildlife Preservation Trust.
    • Cataract Operation on Elephant Saves Sight - short news item discussing a cataract operation which took place at Brookfield Zoo, USA, with the aim of restoring eyesight in an 8 year old male Asian Elephant.
    • World Pheasant Association Report - a collection of various news items relating to the captive breeding programme for Cheer Pheasant.
    • Surplus and Wanted Stock - stock advertisements from Natal Zoological Gardens, South Africa.
    • International Zoo News - thirteen pages of news items relating to zoological collections based worldwide.

Volume 25 Issue 8 - Edition 156 - December 1978 - physical copy

upload_2023-1-20_7-35-20.png

• Editorial (Geoffrey Schomberg) - opinion piece noting the fact that the number of subscribers and contributors to International Zoo News was on the increase, and that a backlog of articles awaiting publication now existed. Further contributions were nonetheless solicited.
    • Book Review (Geoffrey Schomberg) - a review of Pride of Lions by Brian Bertram (1978)
    • Orca Society hopes to decipher killer whale language - a short article and promotional feature, including advertisement of Orca Society membership, with no specific cited author.
    • Notes on breeding the Kenya Crested Guineafowl (Guttera pucherani) (S. David McElvey) - an article written by a staff aviculturalist at San Antonio Zoo, USA, providing information about successful breeding of the species in question after an import of 2,4 individuals in 1977.
    • Western Plains Zoo, Dubbo, N.S.W (Zoological Parks Board of N.S.W) - a general discussion relating to the zoological collection in question, describing its foundation and first year of operation, its location, design and contents, and the aims and objectives of Western Plains Zoo going forward.
    • A model for a "Geo-Zoo" with minimal technical equipment and simplified management (Drs. W.J. van den Brink) - a theoretical model for a simplified Geo-Zoo design lacking the constraints of a classical zoological collection being converted into a geographic model, including a technical diagram of the proposed design.
    • Behavioural Engineering in the Zoo: A Critique (Part II) (Michael Hutchings, David Hancocks & Theresa Calip) - an extract from the Proceedings of the 53rd Annual AAZPA Conference, with the first part having been published in IZN 155, focusing on captive husbandry, behavioural enrichment and the limitations of such methods. Written by research associates based at Woodland Park Zoo and the University of Seattle, and the director of the aforementioned zoo.
    • Letters To The Editor - letters from David Hancocks responding once again to "Mephistopheles" subsequent to the letter from the latter in IZN 155, and from Pierre Brouard noting his intention to write and publish a thesis on the posters produced by worldwide zoological collections, and requesting assistance from any interested zoo directors.
    • International Zoo News - fifteen pages of news items relating to zoological collections based worldwide, including further items from Great Britain, a 5-year development plan for Orana Park Wildlife Trust, New Zealand, and a short article discussing breeding of the Philippine Purple Gallinule at San Antonio Zoo.

Attached Files:

Last edited: 25 Dec 2023
  17. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Very intresting thread @TeaLovingDave ! ( the more because I've also published several articles in this great publication and even have been a Guest Editor :) ).

18. TeaLovingDave

Indeed, and all of them will be cited in the fullness of time as I believe I've got all the editions in question :) wasn't going to specify this fact before you had the opportunity to decide whether or not you wanted it known.

19. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

No problem with this at all :).

20. TeaLovingDave

1979: VOLUME 26

Seven issues, all represented within this thread.

Volume 26 Issue 1 - Edition 157 - January/February 1979
    - physical copy

• Editorial (Geoffrey Schomberg) - opinion piece on the successful birth of a Giant Panda via IVF in China.
    • Book Reviews - reviews of The Koala: Proceedings of the Taronga Symposium (edited by T. J. Bergin),The Noah's Ark Syndrome: One hundred years of acclimatization and zoo development in Australia by C. F. H. Jenkins, and Tulsa Zoo: The First Fifty Years by Ken Kawata and Carol Eames.
    • China's First Baby Giant Panda Reproduced Through Artificial Insemination (Hua Chin) - a short news item on the recent IVF-assisted birth of a Giant Panda at Beijing Zoo, China, discussing the husbandry of the species and the captive status outside China.
    • Notes on the Paris Zoos and some German Zoos visited in August 1978 (P. J. Sharp) - a brief assortment of personal opinions and observations made at Jardin des Plantes and Vincennes Zoological Park, both in Paris, and the following German collections; Tierpark Bochum, Tierpark Dortmund, Zoo Krefeld, Allwetterzoo Münster, Zoo Osnabruck, Ruhr-Zoo, and Zoo Saarbrucken.
    • Madrid Zoo: Personal impressions of visits in early May 1978 (Dennis R. H. Levy) - a detailed review of the zoological collection in question, accompanied by several illustrative photographs and highlighting noteworthy species and exhibits.
    • Behavioural Engineering in the Zoo: A Critique (Part III) (Michael Hutchings, David Hancocks & Theresa Calip) - an extract from the Proceedings of the 53rd Annual AAZPA Conference, with the first part having been published in IZN 155 and the second part in IZN 156, focusing on captive husbandry, behavioural enrichment and the limitations of such methods. Written by research associates based at Woodland Park Zoo and the University of Seattle, and the director of the aforementioned zoo.
    • Annual Reports - abridged extracts from the 1977 annual report from Copenhagen Zoo, Denmark, the 1977 annual report from Zoo Negara, Malaysia, and the 1977 annual report from Woodland Park Zoo, USA.
    • Surplus and Wanted Stock - stock advertisements from Las Leyendas Zoo, Peru and Lincoln Park Zoological Gardens, USA.
    • International Zoo News - six pages of news items relating to zoological collections based worldwide

Volume 26 Issue 2 - Edition 158 - March 1979 - physical copy

• Editorial (Geoffrey Schomberg) - opinion piece on the suggestion that, over several generations, captive-bred species may undergo a form of domestication and no longer truly represent the wild species.
    • International Okapi Symposium (Dr Harold Pearson) - a general summary of the recently-published proceedings of a symposium held at Zoo Antwerpen in August 1977 devoted entirely to the Okapi, discussing a range of subjects highlighted at the conference.
    • Informal Report on Visits to the Omaha and Wichita Zoos, USA, September 1978 (Marvin L Jones) - a brief assortment of personal opinions and observations made during a visit to the two zoological collections in question.
    • External Measurements and Weights of Captive Gorillas (Don Cousins) - a detailed research article discussing the size and weight of captive gorillas held at a variety of zoological collections within the USA and UK, both at the time of writing and in the past.
    • Giant Pandas at Madrid Zoo (Dra. M Celma) - a short news item discussing the arrival of a pair of Giant Panda at Madrid Zoo, Spain, and detailing their diet, behaviour and veterinary care.
    • Annual Reports - abridged extracts from the 1977-1978 annual report from Adelaide Zoo, Australia and the 1977-1978 annual report from Perth Zoo, Australia.
    • Surplus and Wanted Stock - stock advertisements from the following UK collections; Banham Zoo, Blackpool Zoo, Drusillas Zoo Park, Glasgow Zoo, Harewood Bird Gardens, Highland Wildlife Park, Kilverstone Wildlife Park, Muncaster Bird Gardens, Paignton Zoo, Penscynor Wildlife Park, Slimbridge WWT, Twycross Zoo, London Zoo. Also stock advertisements from Zoo La Palmyre, France and Buffalo Zoo, USA.
    • International Zoo News - fourteen pages of news items relating to zoological collections based worldwide, including the opening of the Grzimek House at Frankfurt Zoo, Germany and the failure of the nascent breeding group of Pygmy Hog at Zurich Zoo, Switzerland.

Volume 26 Issue 3 - Edition 159 - April/May 1979 - physical copy

IMG_20230423_022253477.jpg
    • Editorial (Geoffrey Schomberg): the need for a wider number of zoological collections to submit information and records regarding their animal inventory to studbook keepers, and a call for further global studbooks to be established.
    • Wild Elephant Breeds In Chinese Zoo For The First Time (Zhang Cizu): an article discussing a 14 year old Asian Elephant cow which has successfully given birth at Shanghai Xi-Jiao Park, having been captured from the wild several years previously, and observations about her health and behaviour during her early years in captivity, her pregnancy and subsequent to giving birth.
    • Ecological Distribution of Dominican Iguanas (Jaime A. Vifias Roman): an article written by the director of the National Zoological Gardens in Santo Domingo, discussing the two iguana species native to the Dominican Republic (Cyclura cornata and Cyclura ricordi) and various aspects of their captive husbandry at the National Zoological Gardens, including the following; the total number of specimens held at the time of writing; the surface area, dimensions, temperature and substrate of the animal exhibits, off-show breeding facilities and other enclosures; the diet used within the zoo and observations made relating to modifications in said diet; and captive breeding results within the zoo.
    • Births of White American Tapirs (Jan Smielowski): an article written by a researcher at the Institute of Applied Zoology, Academy of Agriculture in Poznan, Poland, discussing the husbandry and captive husbandry of the South American Tapir before providing information regarding three leucistic females born at Poznan Zoo between 1972 and 1978 to a single breeding pair. The article is supplemented by several illustrations, including a recent family tree of the Poznan breeding group, statistics relating to the weight and body dimensions of adult and infant individuals (including the first leucistic infants which died hours after birth), photographs of the first leucistic female born in 1972 both peri-mortem and post-mortem, and photographs of the second and third leucistic females during infancy.
    • Longevity of Mammals in Captivity (Marvin L. Jones): a detailed research article written by the first registrar of San Diego Zoo, providing captive lifespan records for c.275 mammalian species across 11 pages, current as of September 1 1978.
    • Letters to the Editor: three letters comprising information on the first import of Brown-eared Pheasants into the West since the mid-19th century, a response to a previous letter published in the December 1978 edition, and a remark pertaining to an article published in said edition.
    • Studbooks: a brief article providing updates on the international studbooks for tigers, Asiatic and African wild asses, chimpanzees and Sri Lankan leopard, the British studbook for gibbon species, and the annual Register of Non-Domesticated Birds released by the Avicultural Society.
    • Surplus and Wanted Stock: advertisements and requests placed by Twycross Zoo, UK and Moortsele Zoopark, Belgium.
    • Conservation: a collection of various news items relating to conservation and ecological issues, including a ban on the import of rhino products into Hong Kong, concerns held by the World Wildlife Fund and IUCN regarding an increase and change in method of Canada's annual harp seal harvest, and a detailed report on a wolf workshop held at Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum.
    • International Zoo News - news items relating to zoological collections based worldwide, including a detailed report on primate captive reproduction at San Diego Zoo, and the construction of several new aviaries and exhibits at Seoul Zoo.

Volume 26 Issue 4 - Edition 160 - June - physical copy

• Editorial (Geoffrey Schomberg): opinion piece proposing that if the natural world is the Garden of Eden, zoological collections should be viewed as a subsitute for those aspects of the natural world which mankind has destroyed or damaged.
    • Book Reviews: Reviews of Wildlife in Peril (B. S. Salvadori and P. L. Florio) and Lovebirds and Related Parrots (George A. Smith)
    • Staff Changes: noteworthy retirements and promotions within zoological collections, including the promotion of Bent Jorgensen (founder and first editor of International Zoo News) to the position of director at Copenhagen Zoo.
    • Four South American Zoos (Lord Fisher): a short overview of South American collections visited by the author - founder and director of Kilverstone Wildlife Park, UK - during a 1979 visit to the area.
    • A Visit To Four Chinese Zoos (Clayton F Freiheit): a lengthy account of a May 1978 trip to China by the author (director of Denver Zoological gardens, USA) and other North American zoo professionals, during which time Beiing Zoo, Nanking Zoo, Shanghai Zoo and Canton Zoo were visited.
    • The Introduction, Management, Care and Behaviour of the Bare-throated Bellbird (Procnias nudicollis) (P W Lowe): the arrival of two Bare-throated Bellbird at Cricket St Thomas Wildlife Park, UK, observations made during the first month the species was at the collection, and information relating to the husbandry needs of the species.
    • Surplus & Wanted Stock: stock advertisements placed by Buffalo Zoological Gardens.
    • Conservation: a collection of various news items relating to conservation and ecological issues.
    • Annual Reports: abridged extracts from the 1977 annual report for Brookfield Zoo, USA, and the 1977-1978 annual report for Tarona Zoo and Western Plains Zoo, Australia.
    • Warning for users of Multispec (L. S, Walters) - a short article written by a biologist working for Jersey Preservation Trust, noting that a commonly-used avian worming drug had been withdrawn due to an error in the usage instructions which led to significant overdoses and resulting loss of animal stock.
    • International Zoo News: a collection of shorter news items, animal inventory updates and opinion pieces from zoological collections worldwide, including the first breeding of Przewalski's Horse at Zoo Berlin since WWII and the publication of the second edition UK/Irish gorilla studbook.

Volume 26 Issue 5 - Edition 161 - July/August- physical copy

• Editorial (Geoffrey Schomberg): opinion piece discussing the increasing rate of expansion in human population, predicting that all undeveloped land worldwide would be inhabited or cultivated by 2050 and discussing possible mitigations.
    • Successful Siamang Husbandry at the Milwaukee Country Zoo (Dr Greysolynne J Fox): a lengthy and detailed report on the results of a four-year academic observation of the breeding group of Siamang at Milwaukee Country Zoo lasting from October 1969 to October 1974.
    • Notes on Mother-rearing in the Western Lowland Gorilla (Richard Johnstone-Scott): detailed discussion of the breeding record of Western Lowland Gorilla at Howletts Zoo Park by the senior head keeper, including several tables containing notable figures and statistics such as gestation period, sex of infant, age and weight of parents, along with more general observations relating to behaviour and group dynamics.
    • Letter to the Editor: an observation from the director of Natal Zoological Gardens, South Africa that the suplus/wanted stock listings in IZN seemed to be sparse and undersubscribed.
    • Surplus and Wanted Stock: stock advertisements placed by Guernsey Zoo.
    • A Note On Using Natural Artefacts In Zoo Exhibits (David Hancocks): a short opinion piece by the director of Woodland Park Zoo, USA, discussing the benefits of using natural items such as bracket fungi instead of metal or ceramic feeding bowls within aviaries.
    • Conservation: a collection of various news items relating to conservation and ecological issues.
    • Annual Reports: abridged extracts from the 1978-1979 annual report for Marwell Zoo, UK, and the 1978 annual report for Zoo Berlin, West Germany, along with more in-depth extracts from the 1978 annual report for Edinburgh Zoo, UK, and the 1978 annual report for the Zoological Society of London, UK.
    • International Zoo News: a collection of shorter news items, animal inventory updates and opinion pieces from zoological collections worldwide.

Volume 26 Issue 6 - Edition 162 - September - physical copy

• Editorial (Geoffrey Schomberg): thoughts from the editor on the occasion of his retirement from the position, and announcing Nigel Sitwell as his successor.
    • Appointments: noteworthy promotions within zoological collections in the USA and UK.
    • Book Reviews: reviews of International Zoo Yearbook v.18 (ed. P.J.S. Olney), Lifeboats to Ararat (Sheldon Campbell), and The Penitent Butchers (Richard Fitter).
    • Controlling the trade in endangered species (Dr Michael R Brambell): an article by the director of Chester Zoo discussing the ratification of the CITES Treaty.
    • Elephants in US Zoos Mid-1976: Historical Review (Extract) (Ken Kawata and Joe Bennett): a short extract from a longer article written by Ken Kawata and Joe Bennett of Tulsa Zoo; at the time of publication the full article was available from Kawata on request.
    • Moitaka Wildlife Sanctuary and Crocodile Farm, Port Moresby (P. J. Sharp): a brief review of a New Guinea zoological collection.
    • Zoo Federation News: news items relating to zoological collections based in Great Britain, Ireland and the Channel Islands.
    • Surplus and Wanted Stock: surplus stock listings from Blackpool Zoo, Chessington Zoo, Muncaster Bird Gardens, Highland Wildlife Park, West Midlands Safari Park and Welsh Mountain Zoo, and stock requests from Chessington Zoo, Drusillas Zoo Park, Highland Wildlife Park, Kilverstone Wildlife Park, Muncaster Bird Gardens, Paignton Zoo, Welsh Mountain Zoo and Glasgow Zoo.
    • World Pheasant Association Report: results of the 1979 census into captive holdings of 18 key species.
    • Annual Reports: abridged extracts from the 1978 annual report for Bristol Zoo, UK, the 1977 annual report for Brookfield Zoo, USA, the 1978 annual report for Buffalo Zoo, USA, and the 1978 annual report for Paignton Zoo, UK; also a very brief excerpt from the 1978 annual report from Basel Zoo, Switzerland.
    • International Zoo News: a collection of shorter news items, animal inventory updates and opinion pieces from zoological collections worldwide, including the first third-generation US captive birth of a Western Lowland Gorilla at Columbus Zoo, and the first captive birth of a Hispaniolan Solenodon at Santo Domingo Zoo.

Volume 26 Issue 7 & 8 - Edition 163 - October/November/December - physical copy

• Editorial (Nigel Sitwell): introductory thoughts and "mission statement" from the new editor, along with reflections on the recent death of Gerard van Dam.
    • Obituary (Geoffrey Schomberg): obituary for Gerard van Dam, predecessor of Schomberg as editor of International Zoo News.
    • People: notes on recent promotions, retirements, deaths and other important events pertaining to individuals active in the zoological world, including a death notice for Joy Adamson and a marriage notice for Gerald Durrell.
    • Book Review: review of Myobacterial Infections of Zoo Animals (ed. R.J. Montall).
    • Advertisement: an official notification from the New Zealand government that invasive Parma Wallaby due for destruction have been made available for overseas zoological collections.
    • The Status of Mandrillus in British Zoological Collections, with notes on Conservation (Don Cousins): a lengthy and detailed research article on the captive history of mandrills and drills in British zoological collections, their husbandry and status at the time of publication, along with discussion relating to their in-situ conservation and wild status.
    • The Sousse Zoological Garden (C. H. Keeling): a short review of a zoological collection located in Tunisia.
    • The 1978 Register for the Captive Population of Snow Leopards, Panthera uncia (Dr Leif Blomqvist): an article submitted by the studbook keeper for Snow Leopard, based at Helsinki Zoo, comprising a short introduction summarising the most noteworthy changes in the captive population for the species in 1978, followed by three tables; the 1978 world register of snow leopards in captivity, the growth in captive population between 1960 and 1978, and a list of all individual captive snow leopards as of Dec 31 1978 along with their house names, birthplace and registration numbers.
    • Annual Reports: abridged extracts from the 1978 annual report for Toronto Zoo, Canada, the 1978 annual report for Brookfield Zoo, USA, the 1978-79 annual report for Adelaide Zoo, Australia, the 1978 annual report for Denver Zoo, USA, and the 1978 annual report for Negara Zoo, Malaysia, along with shorter items from Melbourne Zoo, Australia and San Diego Zoo, USA.
    • Surplus and Wanted Stock: stock advertisements placed by Buffalo Zoo, USA and Zoo Negara, Malaysia.
    • International Zoo News: a collection of shorter news items, animal inventory updates and opinion pieces from zoological collections worldwide, covering a total of 19 pages; these include a summary of the Asian and African Wild Ass studbook published by Tierpark Berlin, several imports into San Diego Zoo from China, and suspicions that multiple deaths of wild cat species at Marwell Zoo were due to deliberate poisoning.

Last edited: 25 Dec 2023