Join our zoo community

indian elephant diet

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by ireneus, 1 Feb 2009.

1. ireneus

ireneus Member

Hello
    Elephant keepers all over the world I count on Your help:)
    In Wroclaw Zoo (Poland) we have 3 nonbreeding indian elephant females.
    Maybe some of You have experience with elephants in that breeding condition and could write the best diet for them.
    Second question is: Because one of them is fat what is the best sign that elephant is in correct condition. A shape of back? How should it looks like?

2. UntBwe

UntBwe Well-Known Member

Strange questions for this forum. Why don't you ask elephant experts like Alan Roocroft or the studbookkeepers or the EAZA (you're member)? Shouldn't you already know this before keeping elephants?

An overweight (fat) elephant is not healthy anyway. You should build a new large exhibit with lots of space and enrichments for the animals to roam, run, search, play, etc. Even non breeding old elephants (as you have in your zoo) must have de capability to do some exercise. An exhibit of 25 x 30 meters is not much!

What kind of management do you have?

3. Zebraduiker

Zebraduiker Well-Known Member

There are some special forums for animal keepers, so I would ask this question there. The forum of the American association of Zookeepers is very good.

4. ireneus

ireneus Member

I understand that You've been in Wroclaw Zoo. I know that I can't compare our enclosure to Whipsnade or Rotterdam. New enlarged enclosure/s is in close plan. I'd like to have more space and enrichments for my elephants. Believe me I don't feel comfortable when I see them outside (inside too).
    Do You know how does zoo look like 3 or more years ago? Beleve me it's better now (even if not excelent).
    I do my best to fill my elephants' time and to give them everything what they need (and I'm able to give). The problem are keepers with oldfashoned idea of work in zoo. Unfortunately I work with people who think enrichments are waisting of time (their time).

About kind of management right now we have protected contact.

5. UntBwe

UntBwe Well-Known Member

I only was a bit surprised to see such questions on a board like this, it was not a personal attack. ;)

I'm glad to see that you're willing to change. A pitty that you have not the full support of your colleagues. Enrichment makes the difference of healthy, happy elephants and those who are not, and just standing and doing nothing. Movement is also good for their feet!

Good to know that you use protected contact. I guess you are training the girls for medical (foot) care? I noticed that all three were once performing in a circus, and thus used to training sessions.

Don't give up trying to convince your fellow keepers, you're the one who is doing the right thing... :)