Join our zoo community

Indian rhinos in Europe

Discussion in 'Europe - General' started by Kifaru Bwana, 9 Feb 2008.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The Indian rhino EEP is slowly progressing to a level where it can compete with the US SSP. Currently, we have 22.28 individuals with 10 breeding institutions (only 2 of which are irregular breeders).

The founder group basis is rather small and requires full attention from Species Coordinator and rhino managers. Most stock is derived from the Basel line and Stuttgart Zoo and is thus heavily overrepresented.

Thankfully, in the early 1990's several new Indian rhinos were imported from Nepal and it is important that all of these go on to breed. Encouragingly, the Berlin Zoo cow had a first stillbirth in 2007 (so, breeding from her with the resident bull may become more frequent than previously expected). In a further excellent development both Whipsnade's Nepali cows have now acquired breeding status and excellent mothering skills (the end result: 1.1 calves in just under a year). Schoenbrunn Zoo, Wien imported a further pair in 2006.

Confirmed rhino pregnancies at: Berlin Tierpark, Planckendael, Rotterdam. :)

Blow away your queries!

Cheers,

Jelle

2. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info on them Jelle, If you have to many overepresented females can you crate her up and express post her to OZ asap LOL

3. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Which other European zoos received G.I rhinos(and what sex) from Nepal apart from the o.2. to London/whipsnade?

4. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Zoo Berlin (the female who had a stillbirth a few weeks ago, but at least tis means she is finally breeding with the male Yodha), and Vienna (they recieved 1.1 from Nepal in 2005 or 2006). I think one breeding female from Munich is also from Nepal.

5. Pertinax

Do you know the Berlin female's name/age and when she arrived there? I'm wondering if she was captured at the same time as the two Whipsnade females, or not...

6. Kifaru Bwana

Re Yassa - Muenchen. Affirmative. They have a second cow wildcaught from Nepal. She bred in 2004, but her calf died (some bizarre form of the plates on her butts too small or what ... at least that is what I was told).

Re Pertinax - Berlin Zoo Nepali female. Nope, she was wild caught and arrived May 1988. Both Whipsnade females were wildcaught and arrived in 1997.
    Thankfully, it seems now reasonable to assume the Nepali female will breed again with Yodha and produce a viable calf. She is still capable of producing 2-3 calves by 30's. :D

7. Pertinax

Do you happen to know her name?

8. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

The female in Berlin Zoo you are referring to is Narayani, a gift from the royal house of Nepal. She was born in Nepal on December 18th, 1987. Here is a picture (scroll down) that I took in 2005.

She has been my favourite rhino of all time, ever since i got to pat her one quiet afternoon in Berlin Zoo. There was no one else in the rhino/tapir house, so I just stood there watching her for about an hour. She came all the way over to the edge of the dry moat, and leaned out towards me. I stroked her on the muzzle, and she grunted in return. That was one of the animal experiences I will never forget :)

Call me crazy if you must :p

9. Pedro

Pedro Well-Known Member

To add just a couple of points...

-In France, there's only one pair of indian rhinos kept at CERZA (a zoo near Lisieux in Normandy) in an absolutely huge exhibit, probably the biggest in Europe, but no breeding so far. The male is probably too young.

-Yohda, the rhino bull in Berlin zoo is said to be one of the biggest bulls ever kept in captivity.

I think that Tierpark Berlin has a really good breeding group, I remember one baby in december 2004, two babies in 2005 and now one more to come! That's really great!
    Any news concerning indian rhino breeding in Dvur kralove??

10. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

[QUOTE

-Yohda, the rhino bull in Berlin zoo is said to be one of the biggest bulls ever kept in captivity.

[/QUOTE]

Would any of you guys have any info on this huge bull Yohda, or any pics of him :cool:

11. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

I saw Yohda (Well I think it was him) at chester zoo about 10 years ago. He was HUGE. He lay at the back of his Indoor area most of the time...

Bongorob, Do you have any pictures of Him at Chester zoo?

12. CZJimmy

CZJimmy Well-Known Member

I never saw him! :(

When he was at Chester, there was always a bamboo screening around his indoor pen and he never ventured outside... His information sign remained there until the old rhino house closed though :confused:

I too would be grateful for any pictures of him...

13. Pertinax

I have a photo of Yodha mating with Narayani in Berlin- I will try and post it sometime.

Yodha was born at Whipsnade- date?(parents; Kumar x Roopa- Kumar is dead, Roopa is still living at Whipsnade) He was sent to Chester where he lived alone for a number of years before being sent to West Berlin for breeding. (He's the only GI Rhino to be displayed at Chester before the current one 'Pattna').

I can't confirm Yodha's size (anyone?)- from the photo he looks to be the normal size for a mature Indian rhino bull - to me Whipsnade's current/recent male 'Jaffna' looks equally enormous.

14. CZJimmy

CZJimmy Well-Known Member

15. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

Last edited: 11 Feb 2008
  16. Pertinax

Looks like Yodha to me.. if you look very hard you can almost see the sex.... Also he/it has a relatively straight back- usually typical of a bull. The one in the background has a more dipped back- often sign of a cow- so that's most likely 'Narayani.'

17. Kifaru Bwana

Pertinax,

Keep with the times, I say! :D

The individual in the foreground may be Yodha. He is out and about all day. In the background I am not so sure. It remains speculative. Believe me currently Berlin Zoo has 2 cows, Nepali Narayani (perhaps now in with the bull again after her stillbirth) and Tierpark cow Jhansi (for breeding again to Yodha, as her mate at Tierpark is overtly aggressive towards her).

Jelle

18. Pedro

Pedro Well-Known Member

Here's a picture of Yohda taken in 2007.
    He's easily recognizable with his very large head and almost no horn.

[​IMG]

19. Pertinax

Okay, okay. :rolleyes: All I'm saying is it looks like a cow in the background- could be either one...

Have you heard Yodha is exceptionally large or is it just a false claim?

20. Pertinax

Yes, I've been told about this...:) Jhansi came from SanDiego WAP(?) already pregnant and produced a female calf at the Tierpark- 'Betty'. I know that 'Belur' is aggressive to 'Jhansi' so she is sent across to 'Yodha' for breeding.

What happens about breeding for Jhansi's daughter 'Betty' ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.