Join our zoo community

Indian rhinos in Europe

Discussion in 'Europe - General' started by Kifaru Bwana, 9 Feb 2008.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

What is situation now in Basel? Do they breed them again? What is relationship between four(?) females there?

2. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I`ve been to the Tierpark Berlin recently and I can confirm that only Betty and her female calf Saathi are there, and Belur of course, I have already suspected that Jhansi might be back in the Zoo for breding with Yohda.

3. Yassa

Basle: no adult male there yet so no possibility to breed. Of the 3 females (mother and adult daugther and the half-adult daugther of one of them), the youngest one will leave soon to Chester. The 2 adult females and their calves were all together in one enclosure when I was in Basle 2 years ago and coming along with each other fantastically, I certainly hope this hasn`t changed!

4. Jurek7

Thanks, last year I saw four indian rhinos peacefully in one paddock in Basel. I hope they finish building work soon. This is supposed to be mixed exhibit rhinos-muntjac-otters. Something interesting!

5. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

Jurek that would probably be the four that I saw in 2005. There was a pair of females and their young. One of the young is male and has since moved to Edinburgh. The other is female and Will be going to chester in the near future..

6. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Betty is breeding with Belur. If I am correct a calf is expected there later this year.

Jhansi is definitely on "leave" at Berlin Zoo. I can vouch for that from October onwards (keeper talk for a while on Berlin Zoo's rhino stock)!

7. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Jelle, Can you see in the future European zoos importing new bloodlines from Indian zoos like the San Deigo zoo has done, I think they swapped three females for three males, maybe something like that would give the European zoos some help in their breeding program for this species?, what are your thoughts Jelle.

8. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

9. Jurek7

And do you know what are plans for Warsaw?

10. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member

There are also Indian Rhinos in Planckendael, Belgium. I think they have 3 of them. I don't know it exactly.

11. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thats strange :confused:- so 'Belur' is only aggressive with 'Jahnsi' but will mate ok with her daughter 'Betty'

What is 'Belur's pedigree?

12. Pertinax

Their bull 'Jaffna' was supposed to return from Whipsnade last autumn, but the move seems to have been delayed, probably due to the F& M and Blue tongue restrictions.

Last edited: 13 Feb 2008
  13. Kifaru Bwana

Excuse my French! Buth both diseases can been vaccinated against (FMD for ages ...., and bluetongue since the Central Veterinary Lab in Lelystad and Intervet have produced an vaccine last autumn 2007). :mad:

14. CZJimmy

CZJimmy Well-Known Member

That's not the point, I don't think. The UK put a total ban on the travelling of any hoofstock soon after the outbreak. This meant that domestic hoofstock couldn't be moved around the country or exported and in our case, zoos could not import or export animals.

The ban was lifted recently though...

Last edited: 14 Feb 2008
  15. Kifaru Bwana

During 2008, Warsawa Zoo Poland will receive young Stuttgart born female Shikari. She will be paired up with bull Jacob (born 2004 in Berlin Tierpark). Bull Hugo (born 2002 in Rotterdam) will be shipped out to the UK (I guess final destination must be Whipsnade ... but that is a firm guess). ;)

16. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Jelle, sounds like Hugo may need a few more years to reach breeding age, with the two females at Whipsnade having bred alreadly there could be a big gap between the next births?

17. Yassa

Hugo will be 6 this year and both females in whipsnade have very young calves, so he won`t be needed as breeding male for the next 2 years (approx.) - don`t male rhinos start breeding at that age? He`ll be 8 then, that`s not that young. If it doesn`t work out, Whipsnade can still get another male, if one should become availible - there are not that many male indian rhinos in breeding age, I think.

18. Jurek7

Thanks! When they become mature?

19. Pertinax

Hugo for Whipsnade?

I would imagine this would be quite satisfactory- he'll certainly be old and big enough at 8 years to mate though he may need some practise- both cows are experienced now so that shouldn't be a problem. That's of course if he is to be Whipsnade's next bull but as Jelle reports he is destined for the UK, then I think it must be to Whipsnade....

Jelle- can we have the pedigrees of;

1. Hugo.
    2. Belur.

'Muchos gracias' as they say somewhere... ;)

20. Yassa

Hugo - born in Rotterdam, Namaste x Nico. Nico was born in Plankendahl and Namaste in Stuttgart.

Belur has been born in the Animal Park Berlin, I am not sure about his parents, but I don`t believe he has many siblings. Maybe one but not sure if that animal is alive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.