Join our zoo community

Indian Rhinos in mixed exhibits

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Bib Fortuna, 18 Dec 2014.

1. Bib Fortuna

Bib Fortuna Well-Known Member

What european zoos have indian rhinos in mixed exhibits, and with wtah species ?

I know vienna with axis,nilgai and blackbuck, I'm not sure about Sösto with Mishmi-Takin, and if Beauval,Warszawa,Wroclaw ,BeauvalWhipsnade and Bewdley keeping them together with other hoofstock or primates ?

2. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Basel has them mixed with muntjak & small clawed otter, which seemed to work fine.

Wroclaw has them with gibbons. Planckendael I believe with muntjak.

3. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Yes Lintworm is right, at Plackendael they are living together with muntjaks.

4. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

Warsaw/ Warszawa has some carp in the rhinos' indoor pool but otherwise they are by themselves.

5. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

The Indian rhinos at Whipsnade are not kept in mixed exhibits but the free ranging muntjak, mara, Bennett’s wallaby and Chinese water deer frequently enter the Indian rhinos’ enclosure.

Last time I was in Basle an otter swam up to a bathing Indian rhino and bit the rhino’s tail.......

6. Otter Lord

Otter Lord Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Indian Rhinos are in the field exhibit at the San Diego Zoo Safari Park with a bunch of other animals. If I remember correctly from 2010 when I took a tour of the exhibit it was: Persian Goitered Gazelle, Blackbuck, Nilgai, Axis Deer, Barashingha, Malayan Sambar, Indochinese Sika, Gaur, Indian Hog Deer, and Transcaspian Urial (or Caucasian Tur).