Join our zoo community

Indianapolis Zoo Indianapolis Zoo News

Discussion in 'United States' started by Kudu21, 2 Jan 2011.

1. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member

@ANyhuis thank you for such a detailed reply! You've definitely caught my attention with the cheetahs ;) I've done a lot of birds and reptiles lately with Dallas and Fort Worth, so your description sounds like a good change of pace for me, actually. So do the shark and flamingo feedings. I think Indianapolis might have just moved to the top of my list, since I'm waiting for San Diego to get their platypus and Omaha has lots and lots of bats.

Wyman likes this.
  2. ANyhuis

ANyhuis Well-Known Member

TinoPup, you're welcome. One minor correction: they have shark petting, not feeding.

TinoPup likes this.
  3. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member

Episode 33: The Award Winning International Orangutan Center at the Indianapolis Zoo
    "Orangutans, 80 feet in the air"

A 150 tall industrial style beacon, a Sky-Tram going all around it, and an obstacle course of cables that sends apes 80 ft in the air. Could this be the world's most bizarre animal attraction? After five years of designing, and two years of construction, the International Orangutan Center at the Indianapolis Zoo opened in May of 2014. Never before has an exhibit been so hard to describe with words, as its design goes further than the term 'one of a kind'. This center was created to stimulate and study an orangutans physical, social and intellectual abilities. Rather than taking a more natural approach, it was constructed as a two acre laboratory. Because of this, the International Orangutan Center is one of the most criticized zoo exhibits ever built. Despite the poor evaluations, the AZA recognized the complex as something unique, and awarded the Indianapolis Zoo for their innovative process on the Orangutan Center. The central piece of the building - a large, two-leveled atrium where visitors can observe the orangutans from the outdoor plaza or from large multi-view windows inside the main building. It's one of the few attractions in the world that allows you to view orangutans from inches away, to miles away. Ten towers surround the Orangutan Center, connected by 500 feet of cables - giving these apes the chance to climb 80 feet upwards, with nothing but air beneath them. Enjoy this tour, as it covers every unique aspect of the exhibit and within seconds, you'll see why this it is disapproved by many but see that it is in fact, one of a kind. P.S., yes I featured this before but in a lower quality fashion, without narration and several facts were missing.

TigerValley98 and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  4. TigerValley98

TigerValley98 Well-Known Member

5. TigerValley98

TigerValley98 Well-Known Member

6. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member Premium Member

7. Wyman

Wyman Well-Known Member

8. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Lioness kills father of her cubs at zoo

A lioness has killed the father of her three cubs in their pen at a zoo in the US, officials say.

Zuri, 12, attacked 10-year-old Nyack and staff at Indianapolis Zoo could not separate the pair. He died of suffocation.

The lions had lived in the same enclosure for eight years, and had three cubs together in 2015.

In a Facebook post the zoo said staff would conduct a "thorough review" to try to find out what happened.

"Nyack was a magnificent lion and he will be greatly missed," it read.

Staff said they were alerted by "an unusual amount of roaring" coming from the lion pen.

Zuri was holding Nyack by the neck, and despite efforts to separate the pair the lioness continued to hold her partner until he had stopped moving.

There had never been any noticeable aggression between the two, the statement said.

"[Staff] build strong bonds with the animals so any loss affects us all greatly," Indianapolis Zoo curator David Hagan told Reuters. "For a lot of us, it's just like a family member."

The release said there are no current plans to change how the zoo's lions are managed.

The zoo is undertaking a review to understand what happened.

9. NVP

NVP Well-Known Member

Wyman likes this.
  10. Wyman

Wyman Well-Known Member

11. NVP

NVP Well-Known Member

It doesn't really have much to do with the exhibit itself. It has to do with the incident where the lioness killed her mate, which the activists seem to be interpreting as captivity induced insanity or something (which seems like a bit of a stretch).

Wyman likes this.
  12. Loxodonta Cobra

Loxodonta Cobra Well-Known Member

13. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member

Kifaru Bwana and Wyman like this.
  14. LesulaMonkey

LesulaMonkey Member

Yikes about the lions!

Sorry about Kim. Hope she lived a happy life!

I would like to see the new "MIStery Park" exhibit.

Last edited by a moderator: 11 Jan 2019