Join our zoo community

Indianapolis Zoo Indianapolis Zoo News

Discussion in 'United States' started by Kudu21, 2 Jan 2011.

1. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

From a reply on Facebook

Sloths are definitely staying! You can come behind the scenes to meet them during our Sloth Adventures. We’ll also be working on adding more opportunities for public interactions with our sloths.

StoppableSan and Grizzly Hound like this.
  2. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Three African lions have tested positive for Covid:

3 lions at Indianapolis Zoo test positive for Delta variant | WANE 15

Indianapolis Zoo officials say their three African lions have tested positive for the Delta variant of COVID-19 and have been taken off exhibit.

Officials said Thursday that the lions — females Zuri and Sukari, and male Enzi — tested positive on Oct. 14 after the females showed respiratory and digestive symptoms.

The two young lions are doing well. The older female, Zuri, continues to be treated for respiratory symptoms.

Bengal Tiger and Smaggledagle like this.
  3. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

4. Zoo fanatic

Zoo fanatic Well-Known Member

The Addra Gazelle calf born in November has been named Cobb

5. Milwaukee Man

6. Smaggledagle

Smaggledagle Well-Known Member

Other 2021 News:

On January 7th, the zoo announced that (0.0.2) Gentoo penguins were born on December 15th, 2020. One of the penguins was hatched by a same-sex pair, which is a first for the zoo.

On January 20th, the zoo announced that another (0.0.1) Gentoo penguin was born on December 27th, 2020.

Penguin Chick Checkup

On February 6th, the zoo announced they have acquired a new species, lookdown fish (game fish, I'm not going to count all of them in the video, it's probably 50+) and have exhibited them with the cownose rays.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=223337726121520

On March 5th, the zoo announced that all 3 lion-tailed macaques that were born in November 2020 as well as in January are female and have been named Cora, Genevieve, and Juniper.

On April 27th, the zoo announced that a (0.1) northern spider tortoise was hatched in February. It is the first time the species has been born at the zoo.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=482299256255086

On May 13th, the zoo announced the names of their (0.0.4) American alligators, Champ, Chomp, Snapper, and Swamp.

Meet our Little Gators

On May 14th, the zoo announced that they have acquired a (1.0) Amur tiger named Pavel from an unspecified facility in April.

On June 25th, the zoo announced they have acquired a (1.0) southern stingray named Flapjack which is now on exhibit in the shark/ray touch pool.

On July 1st, the zoo announced that another (0.1) northern spider tortoise was born in April.

On July 15th, the zoo announced they have acquired a (1.0) greater kudu named Zuberi. He arrived in May and is now on exhibit in the Plains area.

On September 3rd, the zoo announced a (0.1) greater kudu was born on August 19th.

On October 16th, the zoo announced that they were loaned (0.0.2) miniature horses named Cici and Sonny from Agape Therapeutic Riding Resources in Indiana and are on exhibit in the Jack's Barn area.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=267070305306489

On December 15th, the zoo announced they have acquired a (1.0) great-horned owl named Maurice from the Tampa Lowry Park Zoo in Florida and a (1.0) red-tailed hawk named Blaze who was rescued from the wild as a juvenile. They are on exhibit in the Flights of Fancy area.

Remarkable Raptors Join Flights of Fancy - Indianapolis Zoo

StoppableSan likes this.
  7. Smaggledagle

8. Yang Yang

Yang Yang Member

On my last visit I heard from a young worker at the shark touch tank pool that they were fazing out the sharks and making the tank a ray touch tank only.:( He talked about how sharks were a big thing back when the tank opened, however I feel as if there is more to the story since ray touch tanks are much more common, and that the sharks seemed as a main point in the Oceans building. I will keep everyone updated when I hear more.

CMP, ZebraX, Micah W and 2 others like this.
  9. Milwaukee Man

10. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

11. Moebelle

Right in between Forests and Flights of Fancy

birdsandbats and Grizzly Hound like this.
  12. Milwaukee Man

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t this where the sloth habitat, MISTery Park, is located? As I seem to recall reading that it was going to be replaced by the roos.

13. Grizzly Hound

Grizzly Hound Well-Known Member

Yes, it is being replaced with the Roos. You can still see the Sloths behind-the-scenes.

Milwaukee Man likes this.
  14. Milwaukee Man

As neat as it was to come across an exhibit complex where sloths are the spotlight, I feel this is a good move as it was also kind of odd to see a large space dedicated to a couple of sloth climbing areas. If there’s space, I wonder if they could be implemented into the Forests complex. I can see a dedicated South American habitat with them, a monkey or tamarin species, and maybe even a larger terrestrial mammal like capybara or anteater working out.

15. Persephone

Persephone Well-Known Member

The dog show amphitheater is also being removed. Good riddance.

This is possible. They could also build a small branch assembly by the shelter in the Forests area on a trail with no purpose at the moment. I could also see an exhibit being built for them in the greenhouse in White River Gardens. Just a few branches linked together over the path like Cincinnati used to have.

StoppableSan and Grizzly Hound like this.
  16. Moebelle

Has*

Persephone likes this.
  17. Grizzly Hound

Grizzly Hound Well-Known Member

Meet our Mob! - Indianapolis Zoo

Kangaroo Crossing now open at Indianapolis Zoo!

Be prepared for an unforgettable experience as visitors now gave the opportunity to walk into a large open area without fencing or other barriers to meet our kangaroos.

To see this all-new exhibit, just make your way to Cafe on the Commons. There, you’ll observe kangaroos roaming freely in their dedicated space as stunning Australian species like cockatoos fly overhead.

Last edited: 18 Jun 2022
  18. Smaggledagle

19. Persephone

Persephone Well-Known Member

The Tiger Cubs are very exciting. Also, as a clarification to this:
    It turns out “like” cockatoos meant “just” cockatoos. A whole lot of cockatoos. From a half dozen or so species. It seems cockatoos have joined macaws and sloths as “tropical species the zoo decided to hoard.” I’m kind of here for it not gonna lie. Probably cleared out every former pet cockatoo in Midwestern bird shelters. A little disappointed they don’t have any other species like emu, wallaby, or swans. Could’ve even moved the cockatiels or lorikeets from the adjacent Flights of Fancy into a new aviary so the old one could be populated by Asian, North American, or South American birds.

20. Elena

Elena Well-Known Member

Wonderful news! Here's the zoo website article about their birth:

Introducing our Tiger Cub Trio! - Indianapolis Zoo

Grizzly Hound likes this.