Join our zoo community

Indianapolis Zoo Indianapolis Zoo

Discussion in 'United States' started by Buckeye092, 25 Dec 2008.

1. Buckeye092

Buckeye092 Well-Known Member

Here's a thread for one of the country's least appreciated zoos.

General Overview of Exhibits:

Oceans:
    This is the first "biome" in the zoo. The first exhibit is a large saltwater pool for California Sea Lions, Grey Seals, and Harbor Seals. Then enter the Oceans Building. Your first exhibit is a small 30,000 gallon tank with a school of bonnetheads. Literally a school because there are 30+ individuals. The next tank is a small exhibit for Indo-Malayan reef fish. The Indianapolis version of a touch tank is a large tank for 40 dusky smoothhound sharks. Next is a collection of tanks for small fish and 3 seahorse species. The next view is a large underwater view of the seal/ sea lion exhibit. Penguins finish the building. Three species (King, Gentoo, and Rockhopper) are exhibited in a tank that is on either side of the visitor walkway. The floor is made off glass so you can view penguins swimming from one side to the other.

Marine Mammals:
    This "biome" features three species: Pacific Walrus, Polar Bear, and Atlantic Bottlenose Dolphins. Polar Bears are first. The exhibit has an underwater view and a land view for its two females. Walrus's are next in a large exhibit that features a huge underwater viewing area with a small stand of seats for long term viewing. The star of the exhibit is Nereus, an orphan walrus from Alaska who was successfully rehabilatated here where he lives with another male and female. He was made famous when he was featured on Animal Planet's "Growing Up..." The final exhibit is a huge building for the zoo's resident dolphins. The zoo features shows which have a very educational touch to them and aren't really "SeaWorldy." The exhibit itself is the main show tank which can again be viewed from above and below water. The underwater area actually is an underwater dome allowing 360 degrees of viewing, which is a first for zoos.

Forests:
    The Forests "biome" features many different species from all of the world's forests. The first exhibit is a small mixed species enclosure for Reeve's Muntjac and Red Panda. The next exhibit features White Handed Gibbons, Small Clawed Otters, and Peafowl. An large narrow Amur Tiger exhibit finishes of the Asia Area of Forests. This summer the zoo featured two koalas in a temporary exhibit in the Forests biome. They were on loan and have since returned to their owner. A Kodiak bear enclosure and a Bald Eagle and Turkey Buzzard cage represent North American forests.

Deserts:
    This entire exhibit is inside a geodesic dome, a smaller version of the Omaha exhibit. It features Meerkats, Birds, and Various reptiles from the Sahara and Mojave Deserts. An area in the back features snake but unfortunately portrays like an art gallery in extremely small cages lacking rocks, sand, or foliage.

Plains:
    The Plains Biome is the crown jewel of the zoo. The first exhibit is for Lesser Kudu, Ostrich, Zebra, and Vultures. This is the focal point of the biome so viewing is allowed from all areas of the biome. The next exhibit is for Reticulated Giraffes and Addra Gazelle. A group of Southern White Rhinos are in the next expansive exhibit. Next are enclosures for Lions, Guniea Baboons, and Cape Hunting Dogs. The next hill is dedicated to African Elephants. In the past eight years, three calves have been born here, all from Artifical Insemination. This was the first zoo to successfully use this process. The exhibit is divided into two areas. One is a huge hillside that is no less than two acres. The second area features a huge pool and a waterfall. This zoo definitely comes in third in African Elephant exhibiting, right behind DAK and SDWAP. The zoos elephant future looks bright. The final area features a small walk through Rainbow Lorikeet avairy and an enclosure for Red Kangaroo and Emu.

This is just giving an overview of the exhibits at the Indy Zoo, for a review read Snowleopard's review here: http://www.zoochat.com/22/snowleopards-epic-road-trip-20316/index9.html

The future of the zoo looks bright. They plan to eradicate the Kangaroo/Emu yard and construct a Komodo Dragon exhibit. Plans are also in the works for a Gorilla/Bonobo exhibit.

Wisp O' Mist likes this.
  2. Buckeye092

I forgot to mention, the zoo also plans to add a Cheetah exhibit in the Plains area before the Gorilla/Bonobo exhibit is constructed.

3. okapikpr

okapikpr Well-Known Member

Is there any timeline for these future exhibits?

4. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I actually liked the kangaroo/emu yard because it was spacious and totally overgrown in sections with thick foliage. However, it is in an awkward location and I can see how it might sometimes be difficult to spot the animals. This is a good little zoo that would be much improved by adding a potentially hugely popular great ape set of habitats.

5. Buckeye092

They said summer 2009 for the Komodo Dragons, 2010 for Cheetahs, and 2013 for Gorilla/Bonobo.

6. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

7. Buckeye092

I really think an ambitious exhibit like that would give some credit to the zoo, credit it already deserves. Plus who doesn't like a new gorilla exhibit. This will also allow the Gorilla population to expand a little in North America and a new exhibit for bonobos would be nice because right now zoos are almost at Bonobo capacity. But $30-50 million? It better be good.

I wonder (I'm ranting really badly) where the exhibit will be located. I checked Google Earth and the only place I think they could put it is in the Secondary Parking Lot south of the Forest Biome.

8. okapikpr

I read about the ape exhibits once a few years ago and heard that they would be placed between the desert building and the plains exhibits.

9. Buckeye092

That plot of land is relatively small, I think its only about two acres maybe three if they demolish the food stand at the entrance of the plains exhibit. In my opinion it's not the best place to put it. (I posted this using my iTouch) LOL

10. okapikpr

11. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

There was mention of the Lincoln Park Zoo's gorilla exhibit, which is really 3 indoor and 3 outdoor enclosures for a total of 6 areas for the chimps and gorillas...and if Indy copies that idea then they will have a top-notch great ape complex on their hands. I already think that the Oceans (walk-through dolphin pool!), Plains, and to a smaller extent the Desert Dome are all quite impressive habitats.

12. okapikpr

Some facts concerning the new ape exhibits:

Gorilla exhibit to be one of nation's largest; apes and new oceans area designed to boost attendance, conservation. | Goliath Business News

13. Budorcas

Budorcas Active Member

The cheetah yard is on course 2010. For those familiar with the zoo, the cheetah space will stretch from the bridge crossing over the antelope yard all the way to the end of the kangaroo yard, directly parallel to the elephants. Currently the space is occupied by a big patch of grass, a lorikeet aviary, and a kangaroo/emu yard. Several design ideas have been thrown out, but the latest info I've got is that there will be 2 side by side cheetah yards and a much smaller third space for a yet to be determined species. Suggested animals for the third yard include dwarf crocs, crested porcupines, a small aviary or bat eared foxes. The problem is that the budget is too small for anything mesh covered or with a large water source. The other big problem is that there is no space to put a connected holding area, so the species must be hardy enough to stay out all night.

The temporary komodo dragon space will be put on the opposite side of the path from where the cheetahs will go, so construction on that exhibit can go on while the dragons on are display.

Regarding the great apes, there has been a lot of ideas thrown out. Originally, the zoo looked at purchasing space across the street where they could move some maintenance areas to and then fill those for the apes. Again, the latest I've heard is that the exhibit will take over the space currently occupied by the Kombo roller coaster and stretch all the way to the entrance to Encounters. That will take out a dining space and a few other entertainment outlets. If they decide to take it toward Deserts, it will require the removal of the roller coaster, an outdoor Aldabra tortoise yard, and an event space. Haven't heard any design updates lately, but let's just say that the keepers aren't too happy with the chosen proposal. Out of the box is certainly appropriate.

Also, the kodiak bear exhibit is now home to 2 orphaned grizzly bear cubs. At least one other temporary summer exhibit has been discussed before the opening of the apes - bats in 2011. A closer encounter with either the lions or tigers was also a possibility, but with the rising cost of the apes, plus a new cheetah exhibit, that looks doubtful.

14. Buckeye092

Thanks Budorcas! It's always helpful to have someone from the zoo commenting on their zoo's thread. Keep us informed!

15. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

16. Buckeye092

That is really sad - just another aquarium gone wrong situation (we've had a lot this year). That tank was very impressive - I wonder what they will replace them with.

17. ANyhuis

ANyhuis Well-Known Member

OK folks, I'm from Indianapolis, a member of this Zoo, and I've visited it hundreds of times going back to the first week it opened in 1988. So here's a few comments:
    (1) The Komodo dragons exhibit will be temporary this summer, just like last summer's temporary koala exhibit.

(2) I've LONG heard that the future great apes building would be built just inside the Zoo's main entrance, where the current Party Pavilion stands. I don't know if they've changed that plan. By the way, this plan has been in the works for over a decade, so don't be surprised if it still takes a while.

(3) I'm devastated by the loss of the bonnethead sharks! That was such a terrific exhibit to greet you as you enter the Oceans building! Hopefully they'll get more bonnetheads.
    By the way, as author of the zoo guidebook, America's Best Zoos, I was contacted by the Houston, Texas media last spring, after a similar ozone accident killed a bunch of tropical fish and sharks at Moody Gardens. The reporter who contacted me was looking for me to give her a quote that would aid their IDA-inspired anti-zoo/aquarium propaganda that "zoos kill animals". I imagine we'll see the IDA/PETA types attacking zoos again, as soon as they hear about Indy's bonnetheads. Be ready to defend zoos!

(4) I've stirred up a bit of controversy on some other threads by suggesting that sometimes zoos put TOO MUCH emphasis on conservation, while ignoring the entertainment they need to draw more visitors -- who pay the bills for the bigger and better exhibits the animals need. There's an exhibit at the Indy Zoo that illustrates my concern. In the middle of the Zoo's Forests Biome is what was once an extremely popular Japanese Snow Monkey exhibit. These playful primates were a huge hit with zoo visitors, as it was almost always literally surrounded by laughing and shouting children and adults. But a decade ago, or so, someone decided, "Oh, snow monkeys are not endangered, so we need to replace them with a truly endangered species". So they shipped out the snow monkeys and brought in some other very inactive Asian macaques. The exhibit failed with that species, so they brought in another, which also failed. Eventually they set it up as it is today -- gibbons, small-clawed otters, and peacocks. The otters and gibbons can be entertaining, when they're actually out in the exhibit (which is somewhat uncommon). My complaint is NOT that they wanted to display some truly endangered animals -- but WHY get rid of one of the most popular animals in the entire Zoo? Your thoughts?

18. okapikpr

Good to know...In some of the older plans that I have seen for the zoo this area was planned for an indoor tropical rainforest.

19. reduakari

reduakari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I would guess that the decision to get rid of snow monkeys was driven in part by an AZA-wide decision to stop breeding Japanese macaques when it was determined the captive population were latent carriers of an extremely virulent (to humans) strain of herpes. Only recently has that decision been reversed (the risk of transmission is deemed to be very, very slight), and zoos are now desperately trying to salvage an aging population of these "common" but popular and cold-tolerant animals. What other primate can be successfully exhibited outdoors in the winter in places like Indy, Detroit, Minnesota, Calgary and Toronto?

20. ANyhuis

ANyhuis Well-Known Member

Wow, good answer! Thanks. I never knew about this problem, but it makes a lot of sense. And you're right, more northern zoos should have these great primates!