Join our zoo community

India's 198 Zoos To Be Given Grades

Discussion in 'India' started by snowleopard, 7 Apr 2013.

1. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

A few months ago I made the discovery that the nation of India had a staggering 198 zoos, although many of them lack the resources to be regarded as major zoological facilities. Soon a select group of 7 zoos will be extensively reviewed and graded and that will eventually be something that will affect all 198 zoos in the country. Here is the press release:

Yahoo! News:

2. wallaby

wallaby Well-Known Member

Interesting to say the least. Me being Indian and having gone to India a few times and seeing the horrid state of some zoos while there, this will hopefully shed some more light on it.

3. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A pitty that so few Indian zoo-news has been placed on Zoochat sofar and Wallaby, i you went again to India, try to visit as much as possible zoos and take photos, so we can learn also something about Indian zoo-culture :)

4. wallaby

wallaby Well-Known Member

I will next time I head over! Last time I went was about 6 years ago so all the photos are hard copies.

And the zoos that I went to, aren't really good, horrible to say the least. I won't name the zoo because I'm not 100% on what the name was, but I was horrified. Lions kept in small concrete enclosures, the crocodiles in brown, garbage filled water and the elephants leg tied to a metal pole. Was not impressed.