Join our zoo community

Mysore Zoo India's only African elephants

Discussion in 'India' started by kiang, 6 Nov 2008.

1. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

2. Animal Rights

Animal Rights Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I saw three African Elephants in Mysore Zoo. I wrote about them in the Indian ZOo Inquiry at http://www.zoocheck.com/Reportpdfs/Indianreport1.pdf The enclosure seems quite good actually. I do not know how many they have the moment. The male's tusks were rimmed as I saw and filmed. I would love to know more information about these majestic animals. There is also one African elephant in Delhi Zoo. There was a pair, donated by the government of Zimbabwe to India. I saw both of them in an open air enclosure. One died. and the remaning animal is kept chained in the Asian Elephant enclosure. Sways all the time. I have filmed this animal as well. IN a pathetic condition. Sad.

3. Animal Rights

Can someone tell me how to start a new thread on ZooChat? Many thanks.

4. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

go to the forum you wish and click the new thread button

5. Animal Rights

Can't find it! Did a search for new thread, still nothing!

6. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

the button is at the top of the page. If you want to start a thread in, say, the India forum then go into the India forum and look under the row of photos across the top. Under the photos it says INDIA and under that is a button marked New Thread. Click on that, enter the name of the zoo in the space (if the thread is about a specific zoo), whatever name you want to give the thread, and the text, then hit post. Easy-peasy

7. Animal Rights

Thank you

Great, I've got it now. Thank you so much.

8. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hi Animal Rights,

The Mysore Zoo is probably the most decent Indian zoo around. It does have a good selection of both native and exotic species in its collection. The zoo was well known for its breeding of black rhinos and several other African species. Besides the zoo had good contacts to some European zoological collections and as a result has imported some species not previously held in Indian zoos.

Jelle

9. Animal Rights

Mysore

Dear Jelle,
    According to my survey the most decent zoo I have seen is Arignar Anna Zoo in Madras followed by Hyderabad. I have been concerned about Mysore Zoo's single Gorilla for a long time now, I just feel that he should be sent away and they should relinquish his public attraction value. Mysore is a mix of a traditional zoo and a modern one. Yes, they do have a high number of foreign species in their collection. Did the Black Rhinos breed in Mysore?
    They also had two White Rhinos. There was one White Rhino in Guwahati Zoo in Assam. I have forgotten the number of times I have suggested that animal to be sent to Mysore. But there you go. standrad zopo business, no zoo is willing to sacrifice their single animal for the betterment of welfare of their charges. Right now as I know, there is a single White Rhino in Mysore Zoo and another one in Guwahati. I think both will die lonely deaths. Sad but that is the way it is.
    Hwoever Mysore Zoo's enclosures for elephants are quite large and the African Elephants there have space to roam as much as is available in a zoo.
    Do write to me personally regarding your views on Gerald Durrell and Jersey Zoo. I did send a personal message to you but it bounced since your account was overloaded.
    Cheers and all the best,

Shubhobroto

10. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hi Shubhobroto,

You are discussing several issues here. So, I will keep it down to the rhinos at Mysore. The white rhinos were transferees ex an European zoo (must check which one ...).

The black rhinos have been at Mysore of old and were directly imported ex Africa. The original pair had 3-4 offspring and some were sent on to Baroda where my trail runs cold. Mysore now has a singleton female left.

I would love to suggest to our EAZA/EEP coordinator to transfer this young female out to the Europe for the purposes of conservation breeding. In return I would suggest a transfer of several overrepresented white rhino females to Mysore Zoo and sending on the single white rhino male ex Assam State Zoo also to Mysore. Mysore would then be able to maintain a breeding herd and a competitor male for breeding. That would give the Mysore male 1-2 mates and the EEP for black rhino an unrelated female with good prospects of her living out her reproductive life in the very notion she may bear several calves.

As per 1/1/2009 Mysore Zoo including a host of others on the continent will be members of ISIS. This will hugely improve transfer policies and remove some of the bureacracy in transfers which sometimes block conservation breeding programmes from going ahead. The ISIS network will allow Indian zoos and species coordinators to access the international animal databases, veterinary information, international and regional studbooks, husbandry manuals and all else.

CZA has now designated set targets for some 70-90 endangered native species and assigned individual Indian participating in these programmes (those that do have previous husbandry and management experience of the selected species).

Re: pm. Please mail us again at my e-mail address (viz my personal profile). My pm box is full to capacity and I will not return home before another few days ... :cool: