Join our zoo community

Individuals that have left an impression

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Panthera1981, 31 Dec 2014.

1. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I imagine Chester had the choice, keep his daughters and breed from them, or send them away and keep Oscar. Oscar got moved. I think you are right they would not do this nowadays.

I remember seeing the adult male 'Benjamin' the day after he arrived at Dudley from Ireland. He was extremely nervous and would not move from one 'safe' spot. He had bad diarrhoea too, indicating his mental state. I've also heard of adolescent males 'pining' in new surroundings to the extent they have died or had to be returned to their previous Zoo. 'Batu' at Twyross spent several months hiding away under sacks before he adjusted to his new home.

2. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip, and also to dunstbunny for referring me to Flickr. He does look very distinguished!

3. OrangePerson

OrangePerson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Well I'm not going to choose apes because there are too many.

Jamilah the young elephant at Chester. She was such a charismatic animal, I was sure she'd be a real force as an adult and be the matriarch far in the future. Of all the young elephants that have died it was her loss that made me so I can hardly bear to look at little elephants any more.

Thorn at Chester, I always knew giraffes were impressive animals but it was standing next to him in the house that made me realise what absolutely phenomenal animals they are.

4. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

I've got used to seeing giraffes from above or from a distance, but walking into Chester's giraffe house was (orangs excepted, as always) the most awe inspiring moment of my visit a couple of years ago. Their proximity, their sheer presence and the fact that they were stamping - absolutely wonderful and unexpected. It pleases me greatly that 'ordinary' zoo animals are anything but, and that I don't have to seek out the 'obscure' to get a real thrill from zoo visiting.

5. Deer Forest

Deer Forest Well-Known Member

Maybe every zoo has its famous and impressive elephant bull, so does Beijing Zoo.
    [​IMG]
    I didn't see De Ang with my own eyes, but all my zoo friends always talk to me about De Ang's story time to time. De Ang has passed away for fifteen years, but every time we walk to the elephant house we will call him to mind. De Ang was so famous that almost everyone familiar with Beijing Zoo knows his name, not only because he was a gift from Burma ,or he was the father of three children, or his enormous build. I once asked the elephant keep what he thought of De Ang, he told me, benevolent and righteous.

6. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

As you know, another of my pet dislikes. Overhead viewing effectively removes the best exhibit aspect of Giraffes- seeing their great height from ground level. Very clever...:rolleyes: