Join our zoo community

Indonesia - Zoos and Nature Watching - recommendations

Discussion in 'Indonesia' started by FunkyGibbon, 29 May 2016.

1. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

That's perfect. I'm planning on visiting Bogor town with a local friend on the weekend, so I can go on to the park after that.

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

if you're already in Jakarta I think the train might be cheaper than the bus (the train goes from Gambir Station in Jakarta) - I was thinking more along the lines of if you flew into Jakarta from KL or where-ever, and then just did Bogor first because the airport is where the bus goes from (if that makes sense). Either way it is only an hour or so between Jakarta and Bogor.

When I went I was expecting Bogor to be a quiet little town but it was busier than Jakarta and quite unpleasant. However that was during a country-wide religious holiday when almost everybody was off work.

3. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

Apparently Indonesian schools are off until the middle of July, which explains the heavier weekday crowds.

Tomorrow morning I fly to Perth, so I've seen all the zoos I expected to in Indonesia.

Bali bird & reptile park - two neighbouring attractions with a combined ticket so you might as well visit both. Both are very high quality attractions with a nice selection of rarities; the bird park features Sumba hornbills and five species of bird of paradise, along with much more, and the reptile park includes Papuan taipan and olive python, and Timor python along with a nice crocodilian collection.

Bali Safari and Marine Park - sister to Bogor. A huge waste of time and money. One of the most expensive zoos with basic entry costing around £45. The marine park still hasn't been constructed, they have drugged lion and tiger photo ops, and don't have many rare animals on display. I just wish someone could have told me that too! The only reason I went is because the online map shows two areas dedicated to birds of paradise, so I hoped I'd see something amazing. The reality is they have one aviary for some lessers. The public areas here are of an amazing standard, but it's cheaper to experience that kind of quality if you just upgrade your accommodation to a resort.

Bali Zoo - amazing. A small zoo, entry still fairly expensive but it's the cheapest of the three. Very nicely done, an interesting selection of animals on display. The food here is among the best I've had at any zoo. The newer enclosures look spectacular, the older ones have mostly been adapted/modified until a newer replacement is built, and the public areas are great. Very impressive. Still a few things I didn't like (small holding cages, orangutan photo ops, elephant rides) but the pangolins, Javan wild boar and Kloss's gibbon helped to make them smaller issues.
    Don't miss the lesser bird of paradise enclosure in the men's bathroom!

Last edited: 21 Jun 2016
  4. Chlidonias

I'm assuming these are Wild Pigs (S. scrofa vittatus) and not Javan Warty Pigs?

5. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

Yes, sadly not warty pigs. ;)
    It was one of the taxa I missed in Ragunan which I had expected to see, so it was still nice to see them elsewhere. I'm not sure when I'll get to see a warty pig - perhaps if I fly to Surabaya next time?

6. Chlidonias

I know this is an old discussion, but is this actual Buru Babirusa?