Join our zoo community

Indoor African Savannah Exhibits

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Emanuel Theodorus, 12 Oct 2019.

1. Emanuel Theodorus

Emanuel Theodorus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Typically, African Savannah style exhibits are usually presented in free roam, open-air style enclosures. But is there ever any zoos that presented African Savannah in indoor style? I know Prague Zoo has African House, but any others? It seems pretty rare.

2. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I can't think of any here in the states. Many northern zoos have indoor viewing for some species during winter months, but they're not actually indoor. It's hard to recreate the savannah feel indoors... also if you're including Giraffe it would have to be 25 feet high all the way across. Just doesn't work well.

3. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

That rather depends on what you mean by "African Savannah style exhibits". Many zoos have bird exhibits representing savanna species. Some herps as well. There are some great indoor hippo exhibits and indoor African elephant enclosures. These don't try to be landscape immersion experiences though.

evilmonkey239 and Great Argus like this.
  4. Emanuel Theodorus

Emanuel Theodorus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I was thinking about that one exhibit where animals like, you know, Giraffes, Zebras, Antelopes live in one enclosure trying to recreate an African Savannah experience.

5. MonkeyBat

MonkeyBat Well-Known Member

I know Calgary Zoo has an indoor African savannah exhibit. From what I've seen it looks pretty cool, the giraffes and hippos have their exhibits so it looks like the hippos are swimming in a river near the giraffes. However, the animals do have access to the outdoors.

In terms of all indoor savannah I don't think you'll get much luck. Giraffes, rhinos, zebras, ect. are huge animals, and it's easier to just build a plains exhibit than an indoor complex.

6. Zooplantman

I know of only one zoo that is seriously contemplating such a building. Bu until the project is funded and announced we will have to wait.

7. savetherhino

savetherhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Milwaukee County Zoo has a great exhibit in the aviary for African birds

8. Gondwana

Gondwana Well-Known Member

As others have said, there aren't really any big mixed indoor ungulate exhibits. Plenty of zoos have savanna exhibits that combine winter holding for large animals with a variety of permanent small animal exhibits though. Seems to be most common with giraffe. Calgary has already been mentioned. Another good example is Brookfield (giraffe winter holding plus indoor kopje exhibit with klippspringer, birds, reptiles, and mongoose). Others off the top of my head are Lincoln Park, Como Park, Bronx, formerly Omaha. In Europe, Basel has the Etosha House.

savetherhino likes this.
  9. twilighter

twilighter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

In Plzen the Rhino/Giraffe house has also very interesting "glass view" indoor stables.Beside Giraffe and One-horned Rhino you can see Nyala,Blesbok and probably Greater Kudu very close. It also aplies for Dall's and California bighorn sheeps in Canada West.

10. MonkeyBat

MonkeyBat Well-Known Member

I feel stupid for asking but which zoo?

savetherhino likes this.
  11. Zooplantman

No need to feel stupid. But I am not at liberty to say.

Mathijs likes this.
  12. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

Frankfurt have announced plans to do something like this and there is discussion in that thread. I did post a link to a video on German tv news with concept art but it’s no longer available.

Mathijs likes this.
  13. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Omaha's Desert Dome has an African section, with meerkats, wildcats, bat-eared foxes, mongooses, and birds, but nothing large.

14. Ebirah766

Ebirah766 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Bronx Zoo has a few indoor savannah exhibits, including animals like Nile monitors and bee-eaters.