Join our zoo community

Prague Zoo Praha Indri(s) at Prague Zoo

Discussion in 'Czech Republic' started by Mehdi, 27 Aug 2016.

1. Mehdi

Mehdi Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Ok , so I checked ztl this morning , and I found out that Praha kept indri(s) in 1931 and more recently (and surprisingly) in 2001 !

I did some researches about it and tried to find a pdf. of the reference but I couldn't find anything ...

Does anyone have info about it ?

Note : I'm sorry if it's not the right place to ask and/or if there's already a topic about it

2. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I seriously doubt 2001, if ever!

3. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

if anyone has access to that volume of Gazella, I would love to know what it says!

4. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Has anybody anywhere tried keeping indris in captivity in the last several decades?
    Have there been any captive ones in Madagascar even?

5. Chlidonias

there's another thread here, with some other info in it: http://www.zoochat.com/38/indri-204743/

6. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thanks for the link. It says that the longevity record was one in San Diego that lasted 7 days in 1965:eek:.

7. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There is indri in semi captivity in Madagascar and sure enough their longevity is a little longer than the record given for SD Zoo.

8. Chlidonias

whenever Indri come up on Zoochat, it is usually pointed out quite quickly that the time when the few individuals were kept in zoos outside Madagascar was a long time ago and husbandry techniques for all sorts of animals have vastly improved since then. Possibly they would do better in zoos nowadays, especially with there being more expertise in keeping related lemurs like sifaka.

9. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The longevity record in "full captivity" was set in Ivoloina Zoo in eastern Madagascar when a young individual was kept for slightly over a year.

There are some indri in semi-captivity, which is more semi-freedom, which seem to be doing fine in Madagascar.

Maybe it is now possible to keep them alive for prolonged periods, but the proboscis monkey debacle makes me a bit sceptical...

10. Chlidonias

was it a debacle? Wasn't it more just bad luck which saw two of them die?

I wouldn't like to see indri exported from Madagascar because there would no doubt be deaths before they became established (if they became established), but the proboscis monkeys did come surplus from an established captive population so not quite the same I think.

11. lintworm

4 out of 5 died in a period of 4 years...

Keeping them on Madagascar would surely be favourable, if the move to a breeding program is made, though iconic they may be, I think money is better invested in other Madagascan species and even better in connecting the remnants of the rainforest (which is already done on smaller scales apparently in Madagascar)...

12. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I can assure you there was no living Indri during the time I visit the zoo, lets say 1989. And even before, if the zoo ever had indi on display, it would be mentioned in some article or another, and I´ve never found anything.

The article which is source of the post is:
    Anděra M.,, 2001: Zoologické oddělení Národního muzea a Zoo Praha – 70 let spolupráce. – Gazella, 28: 243-257.

Miloš Anděra works at Prague National Museum, in animal collection. The article (that I don´t have access to) talks about 70 years of collaboration between National Museum and Prague Zoo. The zoo donates its dead animals to this museum regularly. Apparently, the zoo donated a dead indri(-s) to the museum sometime between 1931 and 2001. The zoo keeps reliable animal records only since ca beginning of WWII. That leads to deduction the zoo got its hands on indri sometimes before WWII and it begs question, if that animal was alive when it came to the zoo, or dead already.

13. Chlidonias

oh okay, I thought it was 2 out of 3.

14. lintworm

So that means some translation error is the source of this entry and if the indri would have made it alive to the zoo it must have been before WWII, but even that cannot be confirmed...

15. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I visited the Perinet reserve in 1987 and saw a large enclosure near the wild indris. Indris were kept there to prepare them to be sent to Paris. All of them died, despite the enclosure encompassing native trees with suitable food. As the experiment failed, no indris were exported. I would be surprised if the authorities had changed their minds since then.

16. Chlidonias

I just re-checked Zootierliste. It actually says "between 1931 and 2001" not that indri were present in "1931 and 2001". So basically the article in the journal would have said that an indri went to the museum from the zoo at some point in the 70 years before the date of publication (2001), but it must not have given an actual date.

17. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Apenheul imported a total of 5 male proboscis monkeys, and 4 of them died. The sole survivor was sent back to Singapore. The 4 dead monkeys all died from different causes, so it`s hard to say if this was a string of exeptionally bad luck or the conditions in Europe that killed them, but it was certainly a disaster.