Join our zoo community

indus river dolphins

Discussion in 'Switzerland' started by DDcorvus, 9 May 2010.

1. DDcorvus

DDcorvus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Is there someone who could tell more about the 8 indus river dolphins kept at the Brain Anatomy Institute in Bern. I know 2 of them were caught in Pakistan in 1969 and then transported to Switzerland and later 6 more (origin unknown). What kind of research was done with them. How long did they live and were there any breeding results.

2. Sun Wukong

Sun Wukong Well-Known Member

Try to get hold of a copy of "Das Geheimnis der blinden Delphine" by Georg Pilleri (= the main initiator of the capture & husbandry).
    It will answer some of your questions (kind of research, among others: brain anatomy, echolocation), the capture and overal observations of the behaviour of the animals, the lack of breeding success etc.
    For additional info on all the Indus River dolphins kept so far in captivity, take a look at "Handbook of Marine Mammals, Volume 4."
    If you can't find the latter, let me know.

3. DDcorvus

DDcorvus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

thanks Sun Wekong, I knew the main initiator was Pilleri, but I had some difficulties in finding a copy of his work here in the Benelux. I ll keep my eyes open for for both works.

4. PeGe

PeGe Member

very interesting topic!
    are there any news? could you find the book in the meantime?

5. JurassicMax

JurassicMax Well-Known Member

Sorry to bump this extremly old thread, but I had never heard of this story before.
    I came across the following blog that gives a bit more information about the dolphins kept at the Brain Anatomy Insitute.