Join our zoo community

Birdworld Information for 2018

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by AdrianW1963, 14 Feb 2018.

1. AdrianW1963

AdrianW1963 Well-Known Member

After going to a few Bird sales over the last few months I have decided to visit Birdland after listening to what other people have said about some of the species held within the collection.

So, will now be visiting around the end of the month after finding a public transport route that suits my budget.

Was wondering if anyone could help and tell me if the following species are on show to the public or are off show or even they could have left the collection hope someone can help?

African wattled lapwing

Asian Black Bulbul

Australian king parrot
    Black crake
    Black-capped lory
    Blue-faced honeyeater
    Brown lorry
    Chestnut-fronted macaw
    Dutch white-crested fowl
    Emden goose
    Golden-shouldered parrot
    Great bustard
    Hahn’s macaw
    Iris lorikeet
    Keel-billed touraco
    Khaki Campbell duck
    Mackinder’s eagle-owl
    Mitchell’s lorikeet
    Nandy or Black-hooded parakeet
    Panama amazon
    Papuan hornbill
    Pink-necked green-pigeon
    Purple-naped lory
    Red-billed long-tailed finch
    Red-necked Sulawesi ground-dove
    Red-vented bulbul
    Salmon-crested lorikeet
    Scaly-breasted lorikeet
    Sclater’s crowned-pigeon
    Senegal or Buffon’s turaco
    South Mexican white-throated magpie jay
    Surinam yellow-fronted amazon
    Swinhoe’s pheasant
    Turquoise parrot
    Wattled starling
    White woodpecker
    White-backed magpie
    White-throated toucan
    Yellow-streaked lorry
    Yellow-thighed caique

Will update with information gained from my visit and give a full report as it's been a while since anyone as given a full review of the collection.

2. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

Birdland (in the Cotswolds) or Birdworld (I'm Surrey)? Each has its charms. Each could do with several million pounds of investment. I think Birdworld is where you're thinking of - some very nice elements, but, overall, a bit scruffy and under-developed.

pipaluk likes this.
  3. AdrianW1963

Birdworld in Surrey looking for information as to the species in the opening thread are on display or not.

4. Dormitator

Dormitator Well-Known Member

Can't type much because my phone is on the blink, but you'll see most of those species unless somewhere is closed. I've never seen a couple of the parrot's.

Some of them don't do well with the children that visit the zoo, so if you find the right enclosure (the signage is fine) then just be patient and quiet, they usually come out.

Apart from the damn magpie-jay who is rather highly strung and refuses to sit nice and still for a picture.

5. AdrianW1963

Will be visiting 03/03/2018 would people like me to take photographs of the species or of the exhibits and views.
    If I can gather any information I will update here 05/03/2018

6. AdrianW1963

This trip as now been cancelled due to the weather but have ear marked a visit in May before the main childrens holidays I don't visit collections during holiday time anywhere these days.

7. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member

I visited Birdworld today for the second time. The first was in 1981, but I had to check that by looking at one of my old photos in the Gallery. The only thing that matched my vague memories from that visit was my repeated disappointment with the Aquarium: perhaps I am hypercritical of aquatic displays, but I was not impessed.
    I would say that the species list above is about 60 or 70% correct, for the species on display. It misses out the penguins (African & Humboldt), plus many owls and pheasants. I didn't see so many parakeets or lorikeets or the bustards, which I think have been replaced by white storks.
    There are some old aviaries, but quite a few new looking ones. My general criticism would be that many of the aviaries are rather square in plan view, which means that some of the birds seem to be restricted to flying in circles, rather than stretching their wings in longer flights.
    My highlights were watching the Duivenbode's lories being fed: their reaction to a dish of broccoli florets was to noisily throw each piece down to the floor of their aviary - just like naughty children! They must have eaten it eventually as only scraps were left. I also saw them courtship feeding which was charming. Just as I was about to leave I heard a terrible noise coming from the large communal parrot flight: a pair of keas were mating with great vigour and stamina. Photos of these birds and many others to follow eventually.

8. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member

I have to say I wasn't that impressed on my first visit last summer, but one of the highlights was the bustard hide! The new Owl area was good, but much of the place was poor m! Penguins, neither that good, Flamingo the same!
    Birdland is much better !

9. gentle lemur

I think that's probably true, although perhaps they have a more interesting range of species than Birdland. There are an awful lot of single birds and some of the older exhibits are quite shabby. I didn't care for the owl range, themed on Terry Pratchett's Unseen University, which seemed totally twee without displaying the birds particularly well. I did like the new cockatoo aviaries opposite the lories and lorikeets, but they made the other cockatoo aviaries look very dark and small.

10. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

That keel-billed "touracos" and salmon-crested lorikeets must be some strange species.

11. gentle lemur

I didn't see them ;) or the yellow-streaked lorry :rolleyes: (but I did get some photos of the yellow-streaked lories bathing).

12. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member

I think you're probably right about the new Owl aviaries , I may have only remembered them because they stood out against the 'tired' appearance of most of the rest of the place.

13. Fresco3

Fresco3 Well-Known Member

The park has received a pair of Visayan tarictic hornbills according to a Facebook post.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  14. AdrianW1963

Will be visiting Birdworld Next week and was wondering what are the highlights of the collection.

Do they have any species no one else in the UK have?

Which are the best exhibits and are there any other attractions I should look out for.

Are there any species people want me to take photographs of or any exhibits they want photographed?

15. AdrianW1963

Visited yesterday had a great day well worth a visit did take a list of species from zootierliste just to see what was a round sort of cheated really a member of staff checked the list and I was surprised to see so many x's (no longer at collection) on the list and then again they did add quite a few species that weren't on the list.
    Must say I was very impressed with the collection loved the Hornbills one of my favourite species the only 2 species not seen yesterday were the Black billed turaco and the Night Heron.
    Will be returning early next year to get my Bird year tick list off to a good start with Birdworld, Birdland & Cotswold birds of prey all ear marked for March 2019 visits.

16. AdrianW1963

I now have a complete list of ALL species held within the collection so if anyone on here is able to update zooteirliste I will gad;y pass the list on to them so they can update the site.

17. Dormitator

Does that include things held behind the scenes? They do shuffle some species around from time to time.

18. AdrianW1963

Yes it includes ALL species held and have info for the species that have left the collection this year with destinations.

Kifaru Bwana and Dormitator like this.
  19. Dormitator

Oh smart, is this from the keepers? I keep meaning to ask them about the channel billed toucan.

20. AdrianW1963

Yes from the keepers and someone I meet at the bird sales who as good information from the collection itself.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.