Join our zoo community

Information wanted on US zoos

Discussion in 'United States' started by Kifaru Bwana, 24 Dec 2007.

1. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Can someone provide me with more information the Peace River Refuge in Arcadia, Florida and Center for Conservation of Tropical Ungulates, Punta Gorda, Florida.

I am particularly interested ... ofcourse in the Indian rhinos kept there. Anyone have any data on them or has traced websites or the like? :D

2. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

3. Kifaru Bwana

Thanx bongorob,

It is confusing because there are 2 institutions sporting the name Peace River. This is not the site I meant. It is an animal sanctuary of sorts and takes in abandonned pets and stuff.

The zoo I mean is the Peace River Center for Tropical Ungulates in Arcadia, Florida, US. This zoo houses some endangered mega fauna and is now the one of the intensive management facilities for larger groupings of white rhino, giraffe and sundry (similar to Mountain View, Fort Langley, British Columbia, Canada and Fossil Rim, Glen Rose, Texas, White Oak, Yulee, Florida and The Wilds, Columbus, Ohio).

It does not appear on the internet (despite trillions of searches).

Perhaps some of our US correspondents can help out here (as I sigh in frustration) :mad:

Thanx+Happy New Year,

Jelle

4. Sun Wukong

Sun Wukong Well-Known Member

Indian Rhino AI at Cincinnati resulted in stillborn calf...:(

5. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Oh no that is a great shame, if not for the IVF programme but also for the captive herd of Indian rhino, well i hope they try again and look at the success at Budapest.

6. Rookeyper

Rookeyper Well-Known Member

A good friend of mine is one of the keepers for the Indian rhinos--this was a terrible blow to them. I'm sure they will try again. They had great hopes for a sucessful outcome this time. I'll talk with her later this week after some of the pain has worn off. The animal was at 492 days of gestation I think.

7. okapikpr

okapikpr Well-Known Member

Peace River does not have a website. They were also heavily damaged in the 2004 hurricane season. They have now relocated upriver and changed their name to Rum Creek. The owners of Peace River also have a place out in Texas.

8. Kifaru Bwana

Thanx okapikpr,

Can you tell me more regarding the rhinos at Rum Creek they keep. To my mind they keep both Indians (I am particularly keen on learning on the Indians there) and whites ... (so to speak)?

9. okapikpr

They have 15 Whites, the founders of the herd being imported from the wild in 1998. As for the Indian Rhinos they have Godavari, a San Diego female, and her two calves (1.1). But they received one of the imported males last year. I'm not sure if they are to acquire any other females.

10. Kifaru Bwana

I checked my own records and have for Rum Creek these individuals:
    0.1 Godavari (born 1993 and arrived in 2004)
    1.0 Girja (born 23/11/1997 and Godavari's calf with Srinavas)
    0.1 ? (born ?)

Which male has been taken in from India (Brahmaputra ex Delhi, Rustam or Bhopu ex Patna) and when did he arrive?

11. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Jelle, are you doing a family tree for all captive Indian rhinos, lol ?

12. okapikpr

Godavari's youngest calf is a female, Rani. Born May 24 2005 at Peace River, but conceived at SDWAP. She was sired by Arun.

As for the new male all I know is that he is much to young to breed, as is the Wild's new Indian male. However, the male SDWAP got is old enough and will obviously push out Arun as the new breeding male. Arun is to be sent back to Fort Worth, TX. The rhinos all arrived in the states about mid-May 2007.