Join our zoo community

Zoo København Interesting 16 minutes documentary

Discussion in 'Denmark' started by Dan, 2 Feb 2009.

1. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

Copenhagen Zoo is (at its web page) showing an interesting 16 minutes documentary of old footage. Most of it rather discouraging to watch and, sadly, some of the enclosures shown remain rather unchanged today (or are only just recently changed/substituted)... anyway... certainly very interesting to watch:

Zoo Tv

2. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Fantastic video, thanks for that Dan a real treat to see Copenhagen and its animals through the years.
    Highlights for me included, the elephant seal, okapi, saiga, European bison and shoebill.

3. Jodea

Jodea Active Member

This is quite funny. I watched the documentary only 10 minutes ago, then I went to Zoochat - and what do I find here? :) I can only agree with Dan, the footage is really interesting.

4. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

5. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

That is actually quite an interesting film. Evenmore so for me because I know the man doing the voiceover;)

Quite interesting footage with some cool facts. Some of them:

• The elephant seal was purchased from Hagenbeck and named "Goliath".
    • The malayan bear grotto was torn down in 1969. Now prairie dogs live there.
    • The ostrich-house now houses giant anteaters.
    • One of the two komodo dragons later when to Stockholm. The other one attracted 50.000 visitors to the terrarium in three months.
    • The little bear cub "Ursula" became extremely famous worldwide for being the first kodiak bear born outside of North America.
    • The okapi arriving by plane was a gift from the Belgish government.

And the Bear Grottos are the only exhibits from this film that are still in use today. They have since been expanded and renovated but are still due for a complete makeover!

6. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The shoebill stork was this the stork with the hole in its beak that died a few years ago?

7. zooman

zooman Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Loveing your contribution to Zoochat Dan.

Thanks heaps

Dan have just finished watching all the videos!

The Elephant one will be of great interest to many. It is wonderfull to watch the young elephants explore there new enclosure. Particually when they found the water.

Last edited: 3 Feb 2009
  8. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

Thanks for those kind words, zooman! So glad you enjoyed the videos on the Copenhagen website.

Will keep you and everybody else posted when new videos appear.