Join our zoo community

Interesting/Little Known introduced populations

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by birdsandbats, 3 Jan 2018.

1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Actually, come to that, I've seen Zebra Doves in New Caledonia too and they are likewise common there.

2. Cassidy Casuar

Cassidy Casuar Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

After revision, this is what I have concluded:
    -Because I have not seen anything about the Eastern Paradise Whydah in Japan beyond a slightly outdated field guide and an old-looking webpage, the species probably no longer exists there.
    -eBird only has one Brown Quail record for Fiji, and said record is over twenty years old. Because of this, it is conceivable that the Brown Quail no longer exists there.
    -To my understanding, the Great Horned Owl is being eradicated from the Marquesas because of its predation of the Marquesan Kingfisher, if the owl does still exist there. Thibault & Cibois found that the owl was uncommon on the island. Not surprisingly, eBird provides no information about this subject. It is possible that eradication of the owl has been completed.

So, those three introductions, at least, may no longer exist.

3. Cassidy Casuar

4. akasha

akasha Well-Known Member 5+ year member

There is a population of Mute Swan in Northam, Western Australia.

5. Cassidy Casuar

Does anyone know why the Derbyan Parakeet is listed as a 'sensitive species' for Spain on eBird? Isn't that status supposed to be reserved for endangered native species?

6. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It's a sensitive species worldwide. That's a pretty cool introduced population, though.

7. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Interesting that even introduced populations of sensitive species remain restricted.

8. Yoshistar888

Yoshistar888 Well-Known Member

Song thrush (3rd paragraph) and European gold finch in melbourne

Introduced birds | BIRDS in BACKYARDS

Although I can’t be really bothered finding an article the now shut down Hazelwood Pondage used to have populations of convict cichlids and a lot of other cockie species too

animal_expert01 likes this.
  9. Chlidonias

eBird says "Most species are treated as Sensitive in their native range only, since some introduced populations are worth tracking and may represent important populations for conservation with wild birds so close to extinction. Species that are treated as Globally Sensitive (not just in their native range) include: Olive-shouldered Parrot Aprosmictus jonquillaceus, Derbyan Parakeet Psittacula derbiana, Great-billed Parrot Tanygnathus megalorynchos, Glaucous Macaw Anodorhynchus glaucus, Sun Parakeet Aratinga solstitialis, and Great Green Macaw Ara ambiguus."

So (regarding introduced populations) it is a specific rating for just a very few parrot species.

Great Argus and KevinB like this.
  10. Cassidy Casuar

Sooty-headed Bulbul on some islands in New Guinea.
    Orange-cheeked Waxbill on Saipan, and possibly also Tinian.

birdsandbats likes this.
  11. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Orange-cheeked Waxbill is also in southern California.

Cassidy Casuar likes this.
  12. Yoshistar888

Rainbow lorikeets from Eastern Australia to Perth.

There is also a small population of wild palm squirrels outside the Perth zoo

13. drill

drill Well-Known Member

Bennett's?

14. Cassidy Casuar

Hunstein's Mannikin on Pohnpei (island in the Caroline Islands).
    According to the Reader's Digest Complete Book of Australian Birds, there was a population of Silver Pheasants in the Porongorup Ranges, Western Australia, that was eradicated in the 1970s.

15. Yoshistar888

Italian wall lizard in Boston where there are no naturally occurring lizards because it’s too cold.

16. Cassidy Casuar

Singapore is interesting in that it has several bird species that are native to elsewhere in Southeast Asia that some people could understandably take to be native to Singapore, but have actually been introduced to there. Examples are the Lineated Barbet, Red Turtle-Dove, and White-Crested Laughingthrush.
    Surprisingly, an exception to this is the Common Myna; it is believed that the species colonised Singapore under its own power during the urbanisation of the island, and is therefore considered to be native (but is not protected).

17. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Just looking around, I have found this interesting extract from a book regarding introduced populations of primates around the world - I think the book in question is rather old, so a number of the populations may no longer exist. Some examples include:

- Sulawesi crested macaques introduced to Ambon and Maluku in Indonesia (although it is stated they may be native to these islands)
    - A colony of Barbary macaques roamed free for some twenty years on an estate in central Germany and maintained their numbers; they were later destroyed for uncertain reasons - either after attacking local children or contracting rabies from a dog
    - Attempts to introduce populations of gibbons have been made in at least three locations - on Laulanui, Hawaii; on Hall's Island, Bermuda and on Cayo Santiago Island, Puerto Rico. The Puerto Rico project was abandoned because the gibbons fought with introduced rhesus macaques and attacked human visitors
    - Talapoin monkeys were possibly introduced to Bioko (Fernando Poo) and the Canary Islands

However just to confuse matters, some of the 'introductions' in the extract refer to reintroductions such as the golden lion tamarin while others seemingly refer to large and open-range zoo exhibits - I imagine the referenced semi-free-ranging chimpanzee colony at Arnhem was at Apenheul and I believe the crab-eating monkeys at Monkey Jungle in Miami are enclosed as well.

Some of the information in this has also more recently been tested and rejected, such as the status of Central American squirrel monkeys as hybrid remnants of South American species introduced by Amerindian traders (see below):
    The Central American squirrel monkey (Saimiri oerstedii): introduced hybrid or endemic species? - PubMed - NCBI

Finally, something of interest I wasn't able to follow up is the reference to the possible survival of truly wild (non-introduced) Barbary macaques in southern Spain until as late as the 1890s. I managed to find that the reference 'Walker, 1992' was 'Walker's Primates of the World' where the same information is mentioned but I couldn't find the four references that accompany it.

I have included the full article below:
    http://educypedia.karadimov.info/library/IntroducedMammalsSample.pdf

Great Argus, Cassidy Casuar and Brum like this.
  18. Cassidy Casuar

Ring-tailed Coatis exist on the Juan Fernández Islands.

19. Chlidonias

That is Introduced Mammals of the World by John Long, from 2003. The actual book covers all mammals, not just Primates. It is the mammal version of Lever's Naturalised Birds of the World and, like that book, was largely written pre-internet with decades-worth of collecting information from books, journals, and by the old-fashioned method of writing letters to people for information. It's an excellent book although of course much of the content is now out of date.

TinoPup, Brum and DesertRhino150 like this.
  20. Chlidonias

Eradication of the coatis and other invasive mammal species on the islands is hoped to be completed by 2020:
    Juan Fernandez, Chile - Island Conservation