Join our zoo community

Interesting/Little Known introduced populations

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by birdsandbats, 3 Jan 2018.

1. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Chinese francolins have been introduced on Mauritius and Réunion and after they were first quite succesfull on both islands , they now have disappeared again.
    The same species was also introduced on Luzon ( Philippines ) and there still a population seem to be present.

2. Terry Thomas

Terry Thomas Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

About five years ago I was able to film wild francolins on Mauritius. They were fairly easy to see at that time.

vogelcommando likes this.
  3. vogelcommando

So they are still there ?!

4. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Any idea where on Luzon please? In case I ever get back there....

5. vogelcommando

Near Manila.

FBBird likes this.
  6. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I'm not sure if it would be a successful search. The following 2006 paper says the species hadn't been recorded since its introduction in 1919 and that in 1991 it was noted as a former species of the islands. HBW likewise says "possibly no longer extant".
    https://www.researchgate.net/profil...ct-of-Introduced-Birds-in-the-Philippines.pdf

The following photo was taken in 2008 so they are (or were ten years ago) still on Luzon but given the uncertainty in general I'd say they must be rare: Oriental Bird Club Image Database : Chinese Francolin » Francolinus pintadeanus

FBBird and vogelcommando like this.
  7. Carl Jones

Carl Jones Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The francolins on Mauritius are Grey Francolin, they are very common.

ZooBinh and birdsandbats like this.
  8. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

9. vogelcommando

10. vogelcommando

In the dunes around Den Haag - the Netherlands during 2017 a number of Western gopher snakes were found. I don't know if the small population has reproduced but from climate it would be possible.

11. birdsandbats

Blue-And-Yellow Macaw in Florida.
    Graylag Goose in Southern California.
    Western Meadowlark in Hawaii.
    Muscovy Ducks in Texas (in spots other than the Rio Grande) as well as Louisiana.
    Black Swan in Florida.
    Hill Mynas in Florida.
    Spectacled Caiman in Florida.
    Nilgai and Blackbuck in Texas.
    Mariana Swiftlet in Hawaii.
    Rosy-Faced Lovebird in Arizona...

Wow. The US is filled with odd invasives.

German Zoo World likes this.
  12. vogelcommando

13. vogelcommando

14. Mr. Zootycoon

Mr. Zootycoon Well-Known Member 5+ year member

While some use the terms "exotic" and "invasive" interchangeably, I think in general there's a distinction to make. For example, in the Netherlands the Japanese knotweed completely dominates everywhere it grows, choking the far more biodiverse native vegetation. As it threatens biodiversity among other things it is invasive. However, the Black swan is also a non-native species that lives and breeds in the Netherlands in low numbers (around 70 pairs if I'm not mistaken). While it may compete to some extent with our native swans, it's biology and low density make it a reasonably "harmless" exotic.

Of course, an exotic can turn invasive, but it doesn't have too. Invasives are also not necessarily exotic, as native species can turn invasive too (Molinia cearulea, Purple moor-grass, comes to mind, but I'm sure there are better examples).

15. birdsandbats

The work invasive is an odd one to me. Sometimes I use the word distinctively to refer to exotics that threaten an ecosystem, and sometimes I use it interchangeably. However, I personally never use the word to refer to native species.

White-Tailed Deer is a good example from this side of the pond.

evilmonkey239 likes this.
  16. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Exotic: Any species that is not native in a region. Completely unrelated to the fact of being in the wild, captive or absolutely non existent in this region. Example: Narwhal is exotic in Buenos Aires.

Introduced: Any species that is not native in a region, and that is thriving in the wild in that region. Example: any of the species that popped up in this thread. Completely unrelated to the fact of being invasive or not, tough often both concepts come together.

Invasive: Any species that poses serious threats to other species or ecosystems. Completely unrelated to the fact of being native or exotic, tough almost all invasive species are also introduced in the concerning region. But there are also invasive species in native regions, for example the Yellow-legged gull in Mediterranean coast or the crown-of-thorns starfish in Great Barrier. Often native species became invasive if the ecological factors that kept them in a non-invasive status until recently, are disturbed or destroyed.

17. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

In the UK 'invasive' is used by Government law to describe and control some spp which are only theoretically such and not actually found in the wild at all, and as such can of course have absolutely no impact whatsoever on other species or ecosystems; whereas others are not such listed or controlled at all. The priority species in the UK which 'poses a serious threat' to a native animal, is the domestic cat....

18. Mr. Zootycoon

Mr. Zootycoon Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Not surprising, as domestic cats kill billions of birds each year.

evilmonkey239 likes this.
  19. birdsandbats

Not really an introduced population, but I thought I would mention in it anyway, as it is little known. In Wisconsin, there is a small but steadily growing population of Fallow Deer x White-Tailed Deer crosses. They may begin to spread similar to Coywolves...

20. Pleistohorse

Pleistohorse Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I’d like to see a reference supporting this. I would think a Whitetail Fallow Hybrid would not be possible, but I’ve been wrong about a lot of things. I know that Sika have been crossed with both Red Deer and Wapiti...and that Wisconsin has (or had) a small population of Sika...is it possible that’s the source of this information?