Join our zoo community

International Crane Foundation type places?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by drill, 28 Aug 2018.

1. drill

drill Well-Known Member

Are there any collections in the world like the International Crane Foundation?

2. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The Hlatikulu Crane Sanctuary in South Africa focuses on all three species of South African Cranes.

3. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Not sure I understand the question...

4. Daktari JG

Daktari JG Well-Known Member 10+ year member

St Augustine Alligator Farm has all species of crocodilians (except I don't know if that is still true with the new species of crocodiles) if that answers the question.

5. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Drill is asking if there are other facilities that only focus on a specific family of animals, like the International Crane Foundation.

birdsandbats likes this.
  6. Great Argus

I suppose big cat rescue facilities sort of count... they generally only have cats, although the exhibit quality can vary widely. Also there's little to no breeding as I understand it.

7. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

How do you know that's what he's asking? The post is only one sentence long, and ambiguous as to meaning.

Kakapo and Arizona Docent like this.
  8. Great Argus

I agree it was rather short and ambiguous as a thread starter. That was what I interpreted the thread to be about, and it appears ZooBinh and Daktari JG interpreted similarly. If @drill could clarify the question more that would be helpful to the thread.

9. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Do you mean:
    a) Other collections that focus exclusively on cranes?
    b) Other collections that focus exclusively on one type of animal?
    c) Other collections that are breeding centers without traditional zoo enclosures?
    d) Other.

Great Argus likes this.
  10. drill

drill Well-Known Member

A collection with every kind of species in one family.

11. ZooBinh

Than as Daktari JG has said, there is St. Augustine Alligator Farm, but would also like to add to that the Duke Lemur Center.

12. drill

drill Well-Known Member

The Duke Lemur Center does not have every kind of lemur.

13. ZooBinh

Well, many species in many different families aren't available so that one organization can get a hold of all of them. So my answer would be that I don't know, to be honest, as not all species in every family can be held in captivity.

14. Great Argus

Emerald Forest Bird Gardens comes close in toucans... they're missing a couple species though I believe.
    Remember reading something recently on another thread that there's a zoo in Europe housing all bears but the brown bear... that's pretty close if accurate.

I'm assuming small families are excluded here. Can think of several species that are the sole representative of their family. Considering larger families, I can't think of any that are all housed in the same place...

Arizona Docent likes this.
  15. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

St. Augustine also doesn't have every species of crocodile based on the latest insights in croc taxonomy.

16. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Many zoos keep all the species of the aardvark, emu, fly river turtle, hammerkop, kagu, ostrich, red panda, secretarybird, shoebill, sunbittern and zebra shark families. And this not including other monotypic families that are more rarely kept, such as aye-aye, bowfin, dugong, springhare...

Some zoos also keep all species of the beaded lizard, giraffe, hippopotamus, rhea and turkey families. Probably some have also all species of camel family. I wonder if any managed to get all species of the flamingo and horse family at same time, this would be not difficult to get...

Berlin Tierpark keeps all species of the hyena family. And it comes very close to keep all species of pelicans of the world: it only lacks the brown pelican. In fact all the pelican species share the same enclosure. You can see 6 pelican species in this photo that I've took here:

Attached Files:

17. Mr. Zootycoon

Mr. Zootycoon Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The Berlin Zoo has all but one flamingo (Chilean), but between the Zoo and the Tierpark all species are present. The Zoo has all horses on the species level, except when one splits the zebra and hartmannae.

Are there any zoos with somali ostrich?

Tierpark Berlin currently has every species of pelican but the hyena collection is not complete anymore.

18. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Shame about the loss of some hyena species! Which one it was? And good to know that they added the brown pelican for complete the pelican collection! I didn't knew about completion of horses (it includes domestic horse and domestic donkey too?), and of course I find the spliting of Equus zebra hartmannae as a species, as nonsensic as spliting the ostrich in more than one species ;)

19. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It is off course the Berlin Tierpark that keeps all Equid species. Slimbridge is the only zoo to keep all 6 flamingo species.

@Kakapo , disregarding the Somali ostrich split is rather uninformed. This species diverged from the other Ostriches >3 million years ago, which is 4 times older than the Chimpanzee -Bonobo split and a lot more when counting generations instead of years.

20. Mr. Zootycoon

Mr. Zootycoon Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Sorry for the typo. It should indeed be the Tierpark. Thanks for the correction.