Join our zoo community

Intro for my Sac Zoo Diorama

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Viper, 28 May 2012.

1. Viper

Viper Well-Known Member

Hello,

I've recently joined Zoochat to get your opinons/criticism about my huge project that I have begun. I will be constructing a scaled-down replica of the Sacramento zoo that will be finished in the years to come. I'm not sure if anyone has atempted or accomplish this enormus feat, due to financial reasons and size, but I'd like to be the first to try.

Background:

I've had a complete "obsession' about the Sac zoo ever since I was a kid. I obsereved giraffes, hippos, and tigers. The reptiles were always my favorite (perhaps because they always scared my sisters :p) But at the end of the trip, we'd go to the gift shop and buy a small animal-themed trinket that amused me for only a little while. Years later I knew what i had to do in order to keep my intrest and express my true passion for zoological institutions: build a lifelike model zoo!

Plan:

The zoo will be divided into 8 phases:

1: Entry & Flamingo Lake
    2: Antelope, Lemur Complex, Thick Billed Parrot Aviary
    3: Red River hog, bongo, zebra, ostrich, apes and monkeys
    4: Giraffe
    5: Administration, Education, And Vet department (back of zoo)
    6: Red Panda, Australian Outback , Hornbills, Zoo Backyard Exhibit
    7: Reptile house, lawn, ampitheater
    8: Otter, Big Cats, anteater, hyena, turaco & toucan

Right now I have started on the Flamingo lake. This is the largest enclosure and will take me a while to construct. I will be posting updates on my progress and pictures as well.

Lastly, i have a question regarding the reptile house. Should I make the roof detachable so you can see the inside and observe the enclosures?

Remember, any comment/criticism is welcome, due to the fact it will help me considerably.

Thank you,

Viper

2. AnaheimZoo

AnaheimZoo Well-Known Member

The detachable roof sounds like a wonderful idea. As you already know, Miniaturezoo954 is doing a similar project, and everyone loves the idea so far, so I imagine that once they see your progress, the reaction will be no different! Building replicas of zoos and animals has always fascinated me, but I've never actually thought about doing it myself. I look forward to hearing from you, though, and can't wait to see some pictures of your project!

-AnaheimZoo