Join our zoo community

Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust Introducing The Lonely Dodo!

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Rick J, 23 Apr 2013.

1. Rick J

Rick J Well-Known Member

Hi Zoochatters,

I'm posting from the attic of 'Menagerie Manor' - Durrell Wildlife Park in Jersey - in the hope that I can share the excitement of the project we've been working on in the background up here!

Gerald Durrell chose the extinct Mauritian 'dodo' (Raphus cucullatus) as the logo of what was then known as the Jersey Wildlife Preservation Trust 50 years ago. His message was clear... let's not let this happen to other species of animal.

In the spirit of Gerald's legacy, and now that we are names in our founder's honour, Durrell wildlife Conservation Trust have come up with what we hope is a modern way of sharing his message! Please visit The Lonely Dodo and watch the video!

Of course, if you would share it too, that would be fantastic!

Cheers guys,

Rick :)

2. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

3. Rick J

Rick J Well-Known Member

Hi David,

Prof. Carl Jones spoke at the opening ceremony, and The Lonely Dodo was featured afterwards. The animation is being shown at the museum throughout the summer holidays, and we're giving away TLD stickers and postcards to visiting children.

I'd love to go and see the exhibition myself, have you been? I've not long finished reading Julian Hume and Anthony Cheke's 'Lost Land of the Dodo', and have come out of the other side even more curious than when I began!

R

4. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There has also been an exhibition of the Dodo Expeditions to Mauritius in the Naturalis Natural History Museum in Leiden. It needs perhaps reminding that both UK, Dutch, local Mauritian and other researchers delved into them pits in Mauritius in the swamp area that have given us so much on the past / archeo evidence of the fauna / flora of Mauritius pre 1750's.