Join our zoo community

Introducing Zoolinx

Discussion in 'Websites about Zoos & Animal Conservation' started by Mal, 14 Jun 2010.

1. Mal

Mal Member

Dear colleagues,

I would like to introduce my newsletter ZOOLINX which was originally produced to assist zoological establishments and their stakeholders in Romania.

It has evolved over the last few years and is now viewed by interested parties around the world. It is not political and receives no funding.

It can be viewed at: Zoolinx Romania - Home

Regards,

Mal

2. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member

Thanks Mal for highlighting the link. There has been frequent discussion of the lion transfer from Oradea Zoo (pse excuse us if spelt incorrectly) and the media coverage of in-country efforts to improve conditions and animal welfare and/or management in Romanian zoos is long overdue.

What zoo needs are there? Which are being dealt with and how about attachment to local conservation and development issues?

Like to know ...

Best wishes,

K.B.

3. Mal

Mal Member

Romanian Zoos

Hi Kifaru,

To the best of my knowledge 14 lions were removed from zoo Oradea and are now in a sanctuary in Yorkshire (UK). I believe there is a video being made to show this and when I find out when it is available I will let you know (will probably be shown on UTUBE).

There is also a group from the UK trying to get Oradea to release 20 wolves to a sanctuary....but this is ongoing. Oradea is lucky as they have received a substantial amount of money from the government for improvements (as the government originaly selected 14 zoos to have funding, but due to the economic climate they have put a hold on those that had not received the money yet.

There are 42 zoos here...2 already closed down (it took 3 years to find new homes for the collection of one very small one!!).- if you google 'The Lions Roar' you will see how they worked it.

The zoo world does desperately need help here, but some are stubborn believing that there is nothing wrong with their establishment and are refusing assistance.

All is not bad...the zoo federation is beginning to work...they are now temporary members of EAZA and are receiving assistance from them and also from BIAZA.

What would be the most needed things for them? TRAINING, TRAINING and more TRAINING in ALL areas of zookeeping - but not only the zoos, but their stakeholders - E.G. How can a zoo be inspected if the inspectors are not trained and aware of the intricate details of the zoo world?

I am trying to find a way of addressing this challenge and if you checkout the Appeals section in the newsletter you can see what I am trying to establish....I am also doing an awareness cd for the project and if you let me have an address I can send you a copy...if you would like one.

Of course there is much more than I can cover in a few paragraphs but if you want more then please just ask.

Best wishes

Mal